Cheaper versions of typically expensive items

okonomi

look, if fashion were purely about obtaining the item, then people take so much pride in wearing them. Certainly the exclusivity of an object validates a person's sense of worth and of accomplishment, but it does little to satisfy a lust for looking good.

what you're describing is called conspicuous consumption and relates to products whose primary goal is to make one seem attractive because one can afford them, not because they necessarily make one more aesthetically attractive. indeed, different dynamics are at work underneath the two, but they still find their origins in the same place: to enhance the perception others have of one.

on point: elongated tees for layering. wouldn't mind copping a few at significantly below damir doma/rick owens prices.

i can forsee this thread being an "everybody asks, nobody answers" kind of deal

that said, does anybody know anything similar to this ccp shirt that doesn't cost $700? (highly doubt it but i guess it's worth a shot)

TIkRW.jpg

and ditto on the long tees

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Eloq!

Lad Musician lace up boots, roughly $600:

tdusU.png

Dr Martens Drury, $120 USD

14327001.png

These lasts are so similar that I think the former must have been inspired by the latter. Obviously the Docs lack the creeper sole but you could easily have them re-soled and still be paying around a third of the price.

Docs available here, although currently mostly out of stock. Pop over to the UK site for more sizes (although the price is higher there):

http://store.drmarte...drury-boot.aspx

any other boots like the Lad Musician? Creeper sole and all. I found some Marc Jacobs, but those aren't really a cheaper alternative.

I've learned recently through a purchase-soon-to-be-return that Docs are crap quality in the average range. I don't know about the Made in England collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to get people's opinion about this company. Is it considered bootleg if they're not claiming to be any existing brand? Some of the things just seem to hard to turn down like their balmain like biker jeans

This thread does not condone this behaviour.

what you're describing is called conspicuous consumption and relates to products whose primary goal is to make one seem attractive because one can afford them, not because they necessarily make one more aesthetically attractive. indeed, different dynamics are at work underneath the two, but they still find their origins in the same place: to enhance the perception others have of one.

on point: elongated tees for layering. wouldn't mind copping a few at significantly below damir doma/rick owens prices.

thorstein veblen.. haha

any other boots like the Lad Musician? Creeper sole and all. I found some Marc Jacobs, but those aren't really a cheaper alternative.

I've learned recently through a purchase-soon-to-be-return that Docs are crap quality in the average range. I don't know about the Made in England collection.

I'm looking for boots similar to the Lad Musician boots as well. anyone have any ideas that aren't docs? doesn't necessarily have to be a creep sole but that's definitely a plus.

4ncdh.png

Allsaints have some new Common-Project esque stuff in.

A chukka, low top and old school high top

There are a couple of colour variations for the first 2

All £75

http://www.allsaints.com/men/new/allsaints-rule-low-top/?colour=89&category=315

http://www.allsaints.com/men/footwear/allsaints-roc-boot/?colour=360&category=315

http://www.allsaints.com/men/new/allsaints-rule-hi-top/?colour=60&category=315

Apologies for the screenshit