Cheaper versions of typically expensive items

okonomi

There are a lot of products which I think should be really easy to find but never are. Often I'll be looking for a specific style of jacket, shoes, etc. and the only thing I can find costs hundreds more than I can afford.

This thread is dedicated to those rare cheap products that actually get an item right. Post in here if you find a nice product that might help somebody avoid hesitantly destroying their bank account due to an apparent lack of a cheaper option, or likewise make a request if you're in need of help. Here's my starting contribution:

Alden cordovan blucher, 660 EUR

Alden-Cordovan-Derby-Shoe01.jpg

Topman Montague, 55 GBP

97C03DBRG_small.jpg

(forgive the tiny image, it was either that or way too big)

Obviously the quality is lower but the style is still pretty nice and it's rare for the the cheap brands to release a simple, nice design like this. Available in black as well.

http://www.topman.co...oductId=4645353

Edit, contribution two:

Buttero sneakers, good alternative to certain Common Projects styles at roughly half the cost (tax free:120-130 GBP)

2210.jpg

More here

http://www.superdeni...ttero-denim.asp

Edited by okonomi

Thanks Eloq!

Lad Musician lace up boots, roughly $600:

tdusU.png

Dr Martens Drury, $120 USD

14327001.png

These lasts are so similar that I think the former must have been inspired by the latter. Obviously the Docs lack the creeper sole but you could easily have them re-soled and still be paying around a third of the price.

Docs available here, although currently mostly out of stock. Pop over to the UK site for more sizes (although the price is higher there):

http://store.drmarte...drury-boot.aspx

Edited by okonomi

^^^ Agreed. I've never really felt like a cheaper purchase was solid after letting time pass by. Even if you buy something nicer and it turns out it doesn't really work well you can get most of your money back. I also think if you can't afford much you should try working with a smaller wardrobe. Just because you have more clothes doesn't mean you are more satisfied with them. Still, something like an alternative to the Jil lunch bag would make sense.

I focus on well made basics.

I can wear one outfit for the entire year in Houston because of the weather. White AA Summer T-Shirt, Gray Buzz Rickson Sweatshirt, Indigo LVC 1947, and I just bought a pair of elk skin Wallabee in Dijon.

Most people have way too much clothes and appear over-dressed. Reminds me of the layers of clothing in Crazy Stupid Love.

Edited by Goominim

I focus on well made basics.

I can wear one outfit for the entire year in Houston because of the weather. White AA Summer T-Shirt, Gray Buzz Rickson Sweatshirt, Indigo LVC 1947, and I just bought a pair of elk skin Wallabee in Dijon.

Most people have way too much clothes and appear over-dressed. Reminds me of the layers of clothing in Crazy Stupid Love.

If you didn't notice...

this is a fashion forum. Just sayin'

• 4 months later...

GNvZV.png

Nice navy flight jacket, similar to the recent Ervell jacket except not sold out and only $200 (not $600).

https://www.thegrand...-bomber-jacket#

I decided to try and reboot this thread because I wasn't taking the right angle. It's not about inferior quality or designer knock-offs. It's about finding nice, often simple items that shouldn't only be available in excessively expensive versions.

Take the shoes in my first post for example. I just wanted a pair of simple bluchers that I didn't have to worry about wearing to bars or parties. The Aldens were basically the only pair that looked like what I wanted but I just wasn't looking for an $800 pair of shoes. That's why the topmans were a perfect buy.

Edited by okonomi

That

It's not about inferior quality or designer knock-offs. It's about finding nice, often simple items that shouldn't only be available in excessively expensive versions.

I kinda feel where you're coming from because it kills me sometimes that I can't afford something but your sentiment, in a way, runs counter to the whole appeal of "fashion". I think a key component differentiating "fashion" from "clothing" is that fashion incorporates an element of luxury and fun. Without these components you just have clothing -- functional and practical only. When something catches your eye, it's the "fashion" appeal of it that's catching you and every component that makes it a luxury is what comprises that: the authenticity of it, the exclusivity of it...and yes...the expense of it. Think about it, when you WANT an item, do you want it for yourself or to show off? If your answer is the first, then you're not going to want anything else but that item, no matter how expensive. No knock off, no matter how close the mimicry, will satisfy you because you'll know it's not what you wanted even if the entire world is fooled. In that case, this thread is moot. If your answer is the second...then you really do want a "knock offs" thread. I derive pleasure from owning something that I want to own. If I want those Alden shoes you posted, I'm going to get it if I can afford it. IF I can't afford them, I'm not buying them or anything else like them. Anyone who is comfortable settling for a "similar" item, I believe, is being vain and dressing for others, not themselves.

That

I kinda feel where you're coming from because it kills me sometimes that I can't afford something but your sentiment, in a way, runs counter to the whole appeal of "fashion". I think a key component differentiating "fashion" from "clothing" is that fashion incorporates an element of luxury and fun. Without these components you just have clothing -- functional and practical only. When something catches your eye, it's the "fashion" appeal of it that's catching you and every component that makes it a luxury is what comprises that: the authenticity of it, the exclusivity of it...and yes...the expense of it. Think about it, when you WANT an item, do you want it for yourself or to show off? If your answer is the first, then you're not going to want anything else but that item, no matter how expensive. No knock off, no matter how close the mimicry, will satisfy you because you'll know it's not what you wanted even if the entire world is fooled. In that case, this thread is moot. If your answer is the second...then you really do want a "knock offs" thread. I derive pleasure from owning something that I want to own. If I want those Alden shoes you posted, I'm going to get it if I can afford it. IF I can't afford them, I'm not buying them or anything else like them. Anyone who is comfortable settling for a "similar" item, I believe, is being vain and dressing for others, not themselves.

except fashion for some people maybe about obtaining a particular look more so than obtaining a particular item. And fashion is naturally vain-- art is vain. That's precisely why it isn't about dressing for others (though to some extent you have to, seeing as occasionally politeness or societal norms prevent you from wearing strap ons to dinner parties).

look, if fashion were purely about obtaining the item, then people take so much pride in wearing them. Certainly the exclusivity of an object validates a person's sense of worth and of accomplishment, but it does little to satisfy a lust for looking good. Otherwise it wouldn't be necessary to wear those 'exclusive pieces of clothing'. In fact, exclusivity is something entirely relative and almost its importance is directly derived from your surroundings.

but more importantly, CLOTHES are clothes. The act of combining those clothes into something worth while is fashion. You don't have to be a slave to exclusivity in order to justify your love of fashion.

^^

That's is exactly what I'm getting at.

I'm obviously someone who fiends over fashion pieces but you may have noticed, shinobi, that the things I've posted so far aren't really fashion-oriented items (apart from the lad musicians with creeper soles but I'd still argue that they're a fairly basic piece). Like acer described, a major aspect of fashion is attaining a specific look. My idea isn't about finding shortcuts to specific fashion items, but finding items that look a specific way without being bound by the fashion treatment, so to say. Not even the fashioniest fashionista always wants to spend huge dough on a fashion item when their desire doesn't lie specifically in that item, but rather what the item is and looks like.

A good exemplar for this would be TOJ: there's demand for Drew's jackets because he's making basic, archetypal items that aren't nearly as available as they should be. People choose his stuff over more expensive products because it's the look that they're interested in - not the hype or the purported luxury that the fashion designers offer.

My thought process for those Topman shoes did not originate as, "Gee, those Aldens are nice but they're too expensive. I wonder if I can find something cheaper." I was just looking for a pair of nice looking bluchers and the Aldens were the only things that seemed to be available. Obviously they're fucking nice as hell but shit, I'm 19 years old and they're a 700 euro pair of shoes. It was frustrating that I couldn't find something - anything - for under a thousand dollars, especially because I surely wasn't the only one looking. Hence I was so pleased when I found those Topmans.

Obviously people aren't that interested in this thread - or maybe it's just a difficult one to contribute to - but I still think it's an entirely valid concept.

Fuck it, still not giving up. Another example on the dress shoes end is Meermin. I'm sure many here have seen them elsewhere but they're worth mentioning for those who haven't. These guys do handmade in Italy leather shoes for 150euros (including 20% VAT). The most important thing is that they look beautiful. Nobody else I've seen makes shoes this good for that price.

I'm not willing to fork out on a pair of Church's or less yet John Lobbs only to wear to a job interview and wedding once each per year, but every other cheaper option feels like an aesthetic compromise. Naturally aesthetic quality increases proportionately with quality of construction, but it still doesn't make sense that only extremely expensive brands are making tasteful, proper dress shoes. Once again, these aren't fashion shoes: no biting here. Meermin is just the perfect solution for those who want tasteful dress shoes without spending 1000 pounds.

66_big.jpg

8_big.jpg

Edited by okonomi

I think instead of getting these visvim patrician-folk plain toe for 600+ USD

http://theshoebuff.com/news/visvim-patrician-plain-toefolk/

you can just get Sanders plain toe derby.

http://www.selectism.com/2009/08/19/sanders-suede-plain-toe-bucks-for-ships/

for less than 350 usd. they both got the famous "good year welt" constructions.

so i'd do Sanders any day instead spending benjamins on Patrician-folks.

Guest INDIGO QUEEN

for the "sad, poor people" like myself, I was able to build up a really solid wardrobe over the years with the help of the supermarket. i think it's a solid way to get the brands you want at decent prices. Just takes a bit of patience :)

I think patience is the right answer - plus a lot of surfing..

I'd rather have a wardrobe full of well researched designer clothing than a collection of cheap things that fall apart..

Of course if you regularly update your style this doesn't apply..

Outlet sites are good sources of cheaper versions of top clothes..just last years model but if your buying classics, you can save 70% on the same piece from this years collection.i use outlet sites and have picked up some great bargains!!

Still manage to overspend every year though!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate this thread for all that it is and will be.

What's going to inevitably happen is you get your cheap alternative, either realize immediately or after some wear and have buyer's remorse

Like there are cheap clothes to be fillers for a wardrobe then cheap alternatives that are just not worth the cheap price tag.

Mr. Invincible, you'll get those boots eventually. be patient or i'm sure for all the months you've spent waiting you probably could have saved enough for retail.

whats an alternative to Visvim Virgils?

still trying to wait for these to show up on Y!JP Auctions in a size 8/7.5

vibergs but they aren't really a cheap alternative, and the reason that the virgils are so alluring is because the toebox area is different than a traditional boot. not too many makers (if any at all) have something identical.

What's going to inevitably happen is you get your cheap alternative, either realize immediately or after some wear and have buyer's remorse

Like there are cheap clothes to be fillers for a wardrobe then cheap alternatives that are just not worth the cheap price tag.

the only cheap things i really let myself get are tees, undies and socks. anything else usually ends up being not that appealing once it's in my closet and then it's however much wasted instead of a bit more well spent

conversely i did once get a libertine tee for $200 that even at the time was obviously just a printed hanes