Ask an Apple Nerd.

variegate

How do you save photos on instagram with an iPhone?

Do a screenshot then crop.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do I fix the problem of an unstable wifi connection?

I hear this happened to a lot of people since the last OS update, currently my connection drops out approximately every 2 minutes, a lot of the time after only a few seconds, then I have to turn it on and off. 

I tried deleting the network connection from my list of networks, and deleted passwords etc from keychain but didn't help.

How do I solve this?

Thanks

How do I fix the problem of an unstable wifi connection?

I hear this happened to a lot of people since the last OS update, currently my connection drops out approximately every 2 minutes, a lot of the time after only a few seconds, then I have to turn it on and off. 

I tried deleting the network connection from my list of networks, and deleted passwords etc from keychain but didn't help.

How do I solve this?

Thanks

The last OS update released this week was supposed to fix WiFi issues that have been passing Macs since Yosemite was released last year. If you're still having problems you can read about the source of the issue and try some of the "crazy workarounds"

http://furbo.org/2015/05/05/discoveryd-clusterfuck/

Reset your modem first, especially if you have an Airport, and also your AppleTV if you have those

• 2 weeks later...

I need a router. My old one broke. For brand synergy, I need an Apple router. 

When are they ever going to update airmac express? Should I just pull up and buy the current one that doesn't have AC?

I'm still on this 2011 MBP and none of my devices but iPhone 6 has AC.

Apparently, there are these "smart routers" (they are ugly as hell) that are equipped with CPUs that can actually run QoS balancing (or whatever) and can optimize connection. 

I mean, my cable is 100 mbps down, and feel like this is going to be the bottle neck. I don't have a smart tv so i use chrome cast to watch stuff on the tv. I don't game. Should I buy one of these ugly ass routers that's like ~200 USD with lots of antennas? I live a lonely life so no one else ever uses my wifi connection.

Edited by herpsky

• 4 weeks later...

i've been solely using an air for 2yrs now and have started to look for a desktop solution. at the moment i'm tossing up between a mini (highest specs available) w/ a generic LG or something 27" monitor vs a 21.5" imac (highest specs again).

which would be a better option? primary uses would be photoshop (nothing serious), watching movies and fucking around online. playing some basic games (LoL) would be a bonus but not a deal breaker. for some reason i have concerns about the imac being an 'all-in-one' kinda thing even though i'm sure my concerns are unwarranted.

would a new iteration of either be released within the next 3-6 months?

i live in australia so pricing is absurdly high either way...
Edited by conqueror

Don't expect a new iteration of the Mac mini for years. They updated a couple months ago and Apple is notoriously slow with that product. There should be a new 21.5" iMac this Fall and rumors suggest a retina display (I wouldn't recommend it without one). The iMac has more power for games but it's not a huge improvement by any stretch. It's not upgradeable but neither are the new Mac minis. I would suggest waiting to see if Apple includes the next generation of Thunderbolt and USB C on the iMac (and a retina display). Otherwise a souped up Mac mini paired with a 24" 4K monitor would be better for your needs of movies, Photoshop and browsing online

i have a 24 inch IPS ultrasharp. Screens larger than this will be too straining for the eye, I feel. I'd rather get two 24" screen, rather than getting a 27"+ screen

Why does osx not support drag/snap-to window management? Do i have to enable it or what. Windows 7's window options are bad enough.

I use hyperdock, which adds this, among other things. One of the first apps I would put on a new mac.

Would you recommend the new rMbp ?

I would say if you can get a deal on the last generation, there's almost no difference. However, in terms of the rMBP in general, I would definitely recommend it...the new "macbook" is a joke, shit keyboard, shit processor, shit everything basically. If you do anything like photoshop/illustrator, you don't want an air either, display's too small and not enough power.

My mom bought herself a top of the line MSI laptop with 2x resolution display, flash memory, the whole shebang, and the trackpad broke after a week...not that the trackpad interpretation software was very good in the first place. In short, rMBP is the best serious laptop you can buy IMO