Ask an Apple Nerd.

variegate

has anyone tried bootcamping windows 8?

also, i had a windows xp partition that was too small so i removed it using disk utility but i can't get that space back. anyone know how to fix this?

Should be able to do this from Disk Utility. Select the disk, then the 'partitions tab'. Make sure you hit apply after.

DiskUtility-Resize.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Any other iphone 5 users find that the maximum volume level is a lot quieter in comparison to other iphone/ipod models? Im quite fond of playing my tunes on tinnitus mode all of the time but I feel like the max volume on the 5 is probably around the equivalent of 4/5s of the volume on other models.

is there some sneaky way around this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a retarded amount of Mac/Apple/iPhone/iPad/OS X/etc knowledge about technical information, historical information, current rumors, OS 9 through OS X, iPhones, iPad, apps, applications, Adobe apps, design software, editing software, photography, etc.

Please make my retarded technical information useful as I don't know what to do with it.

Either technical help, spec information, technical explanations, recommendations, etc

Also have a lot of experience with Adobe apps, mostly Photoshop but also Illustrator, Flash, Lightroom, etc. Aperture & Final Cut also.

Ask me (almost) anything.

How can I make my Mac more secure? Something like iptables for linux, firewalls, hardening.

I want to get more into networking with my Mac. Am I doomed?

http://www.macshadow...dening_Mac_OS_X

Unfortunately, no amount of hardening will help you when apple doesn't release security patches for months and months, while in the meantime leaving vulnerabilities unpatched (http://nakedsecurity...c-malware-java/)

And as far as being doomed, you can always install linux on it. :)

Edited by blm14

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Friends,

Just wondering if I could get some help. I broke my samsung galaxy and a friend gave me their IPhone 4 but it is locked to a different service provider. It has the 6.1.3 firmware installed on it, does anyone know how I can unlock it??

hi jackg

ask your mate if they can officially unlock the iphone via the carrier. in the uk you can usually do that for free or sometimes for a small fee after the contract has expired, given its age I would safely say that would be the case.

failing that you can jailbreak it (mac or pc) then unlock it. both are very easy to do!

be quick though apple are looking to close the unlock exploit, if you wish to explore that route.

if you can though a carrier unlock is always preferable as it can never be locked again and the iPhone can easily be locked with an update to the firmware.

• 8 months later...
Need some Macbook help. 

Spilt vodka on my old macbook, instantly dead.  the apple store took out my hard drive and said theres a good chance it's ok and i can get my old files off of it.  So i got a double sided USB cord connecting the hard drive to my new macbook but nothing happens when I connect them.  When i go to migration assistant, it doesn't find the hard drive.  

I can live without my old stuff but my concern is that I sold my old macbook on ebay, and told the buyer I'd send the old harddrive along once I got my files off it.  I just don't want to risk sending the hard drive to him with the old macbook and have him manage to get to all my old files, incase i have personal stuff saved on there.  

any help would be nice.

• 2 months later...

i have an old, slow mac book pro.  sometimes i close programs and they stall out so i force quit them - or sometimes i'll accidentally open a program and then force quit it before it opens.

are either of these bad for the computer?  i've always wondered if i should just let whatever it is process before quitting? 

closing or restarting apps through software is completely fine. hardware resets aren't as fine, though it does takes quite a number to screw up something.

maybe something else causing the slow speed, but sounds like you need to either have a fresh install of the OS or upgrade the spinning hard disk to an SSD.

• 1 year later...

Having trouble accessing my hotmail on both safari and mail on my iphone 4s.

Safari just turns up a "cannot open this page, server not responding" error and mail it goes "IMAP server not responding".

I've tried a full reset and deleting/adding my email again with no luck.

This is my only source in accessing my email, internet.

Anyone else with this problem?

Edited by Sigur Rós

Thanks, I just left it alone and the next day it started working again mysteriously...

I've been using my 4s because my 5s looks like this.

D9pXbEx.jpg

Does anyone know how to put this back together.

It was working fine even with the screen seperated from the iPhone (the ribbon cable still attached).

I accidently pulled the ribbon cable off, now the screen won't turn on and also the camera is out of it's slot.

Is this something I can do myself or take to applecare and not cost me a whole lot to fix?

Edited by Sigur Rós