Ask an Apple Nerd.

variegate

Awesome, I still have an older 21" iMac but I don't think I can use it as an external at least I'm not aware of a way to do it.

If it's a mini-displayport, I think you actually can . . .

But you could probably sell it and use the money to get a better LCD

i have a macbook 6.1 that i got in 2009. it's showing its age a little. the applecare coverage also expires in december. would it be wiser to upgrade a few things (add more ram, new video card) to spruce it up or just outright buy a new laptop?

You can add more RAM, but you can't upgrade the vid card, I don't think.

Better to save your money and buy a new one when the new versions are released this year.

what's the cheapest efficient way to clean my macbook pro?

I use Clean my mac.. Bit on the expensive side but good.

Uh, define "clean".

By itself, you shouldn't have to 'clean' your Mac's software to make it run properly (beyond a Permissions Fix every few months)

Or are we talking about wiping down the outside of the mac?

as per my question, i was asking about the cheapest way to wipe down / clean the surfaces or monitor of my macbook... but no longer need to clean it cause i went to my girlfriend's house and they happened to have iKlear and some 'monster' screen cleaner which I used.

• 2 weeks later...

when do you think apple will release a 13 inch macbook pro with retina display? i prefer the smaller size.

A year or more.

They need the price to go down a bit and battery power to get better.

whats the go with these retina displays and resolution independence? i already struggle to read text whilst browsing on my 17" MBP.

Just like the difference between the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4. Most things should be the same physical size but will have more detail.

A lot of Apps will have to be updated to take advantage of it, however.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone has a suggestion for a good mp3 tagging program? i'd be looking for something that would let me manually verify/correct tags and rename files. on pc, i have been using tag & rename for years, but i am without a windows install at the moment (waiting for Windows 8 to come out) so need something on mac.

anyone has a suggestion for a good mp3 tagging program? i'd be looking for something that would let me manually verify/correct tags and rename files. on pc, i have been using tag & rename for years, but i am without a windows install at the moment (waiting for Windows 8 to come out) so need something on mac.

I use TuneUp. It's the best tagging program ever.

I initially had a one-year subscription but I liked it so much that I upgraded to the lifetime "gold" plan.

The one feature that sets this program apart from its competitors is that it has some sort of wave analyzer and can pinpoint exactly what the song is (and which album it's from - i think it even retains the connection i.e. can tell whether a song is from a single or part of an album if it was released multiple times ). This was an essential function because the majority of my music collection comprises of indies japanese hip-hop and old school jpop. There's a lot of CDDB-based or other database dependant alternatives but they don't even come close to the accuracy of this program. You can even tag leaked stuff. Even if you are not successful at tagging some 0-day indies mixtapes, you just need to give it another try after a few weeks. I don't think there's been anything i haven't been able to tag. Also, you can verify the tags at the end and make changes if, for some reason, songs get mixed up.

I don't usually like to pay for intangible stuff like this but this is def. worth it. Also, it puts cover art and finds duplicates.

I combine this program with Tune Instructor. Basically allows me to rename folders based on the ID3 tags. Really neat.

I have a discount code here

It's an affiliate code, FYI. There's a demo version with 100 song clean up limit. Give it a go. Trust me on this.

Edited by herpsky

• 2 weeks later...

iCloud tabs should work fine across Macs - iOS devices need iOS6.

I've got iOS6 Beta (I have a dev account) and it works flawlessly for me.

ML is smooth for me so far, minus a little hack I had that restored the colored sidebar in the Finder - hope there's a fix for that one as the monochromatic bullshit is unusable for a color/visual person like me.

I have custom icons for a reason! #nerdalert

Out of nowhere the trackpad in my 13" MacBook pro is going crazy, it's moving and opening shit erratically without me even touching it. I can't even use it because it's so frustrating. Ive cleaned it multiple times and this has never happened before, it just started yesterday and will work fine for a moment and then start spazzing out at me. Its like Satan is taking over my laptop.

Will apple fix this? Is it a common problem? I'm going to the apple store in a couple of days.

It took me 10 minutes to try to type this on my MacBook but the mouse kept clicking to the previous page so I gave up and am typing this on my iPhone now. Lol

Edited by unlivrenoir

I use TuneUp. It's the best tagging program ever.

I initially had a one-year subscription but I liked it so much that I upgraded to the lifetime "gold" plan.

The one feature that sets this program apart from its competitors is that it has some sort of wave analyzer and can pinpoint exactly what the song is (and which album it's from - i think it even retains the connection i.e. can tell whether a song is from a single or part of an album if it was released multiple times ). This was an essential function because the majority of my music collection comprises of indies japanese hip-hop and old school jpop. There's a lot of CDDB-based or other database dependant alternatives but they don't even come close to the accuracy of this program. You can even tag leaked stuff. Even if you are not successful at tagging some 0-day indies mixtapes, you just need to give it another try after a few weeks. I don't think there's been anything i haven't been able to tag. Also, you can verify the tags at the end and make changes if, for some reason, songs get mixed up.

I don't usually like to pay for intangible stuff like this but this is def. worth it. Also, it puts cover art and finds duplicates.

I combine this program with Tune Instructor. Basically allows me to rename folders based on the ID3 tags. Really neat.

I have a discount code here

It's an affiliate code, FYI. There's a demo version with 100 song clean up limit. Give it a go. Trust me on this.

Finally got around to playing around with this and it is awesome. i also went with a lifetime subscription and it's totally worth it. can't believe i put hundreds if not thousands of hours organizing my mp3 collection and this thing does everything almost perfectly...

Out of nowhere the trackpad in my 13" MacBook pro is going crazy, it's moving and opening shit erratically without me even touching it. I can't even use it because it's so frustrating. Ive cleaned it multiple times and this has never happened before, it just started yesterday and will work fine for a moment and then start spazzing out at me. Its like Satan is taking over my laptop.

Will apple fix this? Is it a common problem? I'm going to the apple store in a couple of days.

It took me 10 minutes to try to type this on my MacBook but the mouse kept clicking to the previous page so I gave up and am typing this on my iPhone now. Lol

Before you drive to the Apple store, try resetting the SMC. Here's the link with instructions on how to do so: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• 3 weeks later...

i've just upgraded to mountain lion and one thing that's really pissing me off (besides not being able to 'repeat' calendar alarms) is the autosave in textedit appears to be gone?

i used to open dozens of textedit files to jot my ephemeral thoughts then simply command q when done. when i'd reopen text edit all these untitled files would be there. i know i could save them all but this is laborious and the notes are, for the most part, useless within a couple of days. anyone?

i've just upgraded to mountain lion and one thing that's really pissing me off (besides not being able to 'repeat' calendar alarms) is the autosave in textedit appears to be gone?

i used to open dozens of textedit files to jot my ephemeral thoughts then simply command q when done. when i'd reopen text edit all these untitled files would be there. i know i could save them all but this is laborious and the notes are, for the most part, useless within a couple of days. anyone?

Did you turn it off?

- Open “System Preferences†from the  Apple menu and click the “General†pane

- Check the box next to “Ask to keep changes when closing documentsâ€

- Close out of System Preferences

If not - try this:

Applications> Utilities> Disk Utility

Run fix permissions

See if that does anything to help.

if that doesn't work, reinstall Mountain Lion.

------

Not a fix for textedit, but I set this up a couple months back and can't think of ever going back

http://www.theverge....erge-at-work-nv

YES.

I've been using SimpleNote + Notational Velocity and then SImpleNote + JustNotes for over a year now and it's the been the best 'system' i have for keeping track of random shit.

• 1 month later...