Ask an Apple Nerd.

variegate

I have a retarded amount of Mac/Apple/iPhone/iPad/OS X/etc knowledge about technical information, historical information, current rumors, OS 9 through OS X, iPhones, iPad, apps, applications, Adobe apps, design software, editing software, photography, etc.

Please make my retarded technical information useful as I don't know what to do with it.

Either technical help, spec information, technical explanations, recommendations, etc

Also have a lot of experience with Adobe apps, mostly Photoshop but also Illustrator, Flash, Lightroom, etc. Aperture & Final Cut also.

Ask me (almost) anything.

are you an apple genius?

No. I am not an Apple Genius - but I probably know as much as some of them.

Please tell me the iPhone 5 won't have a bigger screen? I don't want a bigger screen.

iPhone 5 probably won't have a bigger screen - if it does, it will be only slightly bigger while keeping the phone the same size (less bezel around the edges)

current is 3.5", iPhone 5 will either be the same or move up slightly to 4" but the phone will be the same size. It will basically be a screen with the mic at the top and the home button at the bottom.

I REALLY hope that the new home button is not electro-static (touch) and retains its current mechanical button design.

The Apple displays that had electro static buttons were terrible.

most of the apple "geniuses" are salesmen. In any given store there's like 2-3 guys out of 50 who are at the level of a second-line helpdesk tech. Any third-party apple reseller will be PACKED with people who are worth 12 geniuses. :)

yeah, this is my experience in any apple retail location. They always have to ask someone. Dudes at Best Buy are better and the local apple place up the street know anything I need to know.

also, why can I never go to the apple store without wading through 40 thousand people playing with shit like they have never seen an apple product before?

is it normal for the lights on power supplies to fail? (it still charges)

Hmmm - no. That's abnormal.

The light on the power supply itself doesnt light up? Or the MagSafe connection light?

Or are you talking about a battery?

I'm assuming a laptop - which model and how old?

Why the fuck does itunes suck so much?

I don't have too many problems with it.

Are you on OS X or Windows?

I have no experience with it on Windows - it runs pretty smooth on the Mac.

If you are on a Mac - download the "Combo Updater" for the version of OS X you have (if you have Lion, download the 10.7.3 Combo Updater) and install over the top.

I would highly recommend downloading the Combo Updater from http://apple.com/support/downloads/ instead of the typical Software Update

when i use the camera connection kit to import to the ipad, i can't seem to get them off the ipad. when it's connected to the computer, and even with photo stream, the only album that works is the camera roll. imported pics get put in a different folder and aren't accessible and the only way to get rid of them is to individually delete them. i was hoping to use it to dump photos off my camera and then get them on the computer from the ipad but it doesn't seem to work that way.

is there a way around this?

when i use the camera connection kit to import to the ipad, i can't seem to get them off the ipad. when it's connected to the computer, and even with photo stream, the only album that works is the camera roll. imported pics get put in a different folder and aren't accessible and the only way to get rid of them is to individually delete them. i was hoping to use it to dump photos off my camera and then get them on the computer from the ipad but it doesn't seem to work that way.

is there a way around this?

Hmmm - a little difficult to tell what might be going on here but you should be able to import them into iPhoto by dragging, importing or otherwise.

I don't have a lot of experience with that as I shoot mostly DSLR or just use the iPhone camera.

One thing you might try is connecting your iPad via cable and then using 'Image Capture' to view the pics on your iPad

You should be able to copy them off to wherever you want from there.

2009 MacBook, just the little light on the magnetic connector

Ahh - that's probably not a problem - unless it's not charging.

Any fraying where the cord meets the magsafe connector?

Is is the 'straight on' magSafe connection where the cord points right into the computer, or is it the perpendicular one where the cord comes in alongside the computer's edge?

The early ones where the cord pointed straight to the computer had major issues with fraying and there is acurrently a class action suit about it.

http://www.adaptersettlement.com/

^ this. I don't even bother with it anymore. More buggy, crash-prone POS software package evar.

The pc version has been unable to cope with large library size for as long as i can remember. i've had 100+ gb of music pretty much since iTunes came out and even with the most powerful of computer, it has always been slow and very buggy. For some reason, the mac version is much more stable and faster.

Anyone having trouble with music on iphone / ipad since getting iTunes Match? i have an iPad 1 and if i turn on showing full library (would be 100% easier if switch was in music vs. in setting where it currently is btw), it crashes every single time i open music, very annoying. Ipad 1 hardware is probably part of the problem, but pretty annoying nonetheless.

The pc version has been unable to cope with large library size for as long as i can remember. i've had 100+ gb of music pretty much since iTunes came out and even with the most powerful of computer, it has always been slow and very buggy. For some reason, the mac version is much more stable and faster.

Anyone having trouble with music on iphone / ipad since getting iTunes Match? i have an iPad 1 and if i turn on showing full library (would be 100% easier if switch was in music vs. in setting where it currently is btw), it crashes every single time i open music, very annoying. Ipad 1 hardware is probably part of the problem, but pretty annoying nonetheless.

It could be dependancies in Windows that are unstable, it could be bugs in iTunes, or it could just be poor programming by Apple.

iTunes is much more integrated into OS X since Apple owns both.

That being said - 100GB is a LOT of music and I don't think you can honestly say you listen to all of that :)

Pairing down is always good.

No idea about iTunes Match - that's a pretty new thing and I don't know much about it.

Hmmm - a little difficult to tell what might be going on here but you should be able to import them into iPhoto by dragging, importing or otherwise.

I don't have a lot of experience with that as I shoot mostly DSLR or just use the iPhone camera.

One thing you might try is connecting your iPad via cable and then using 'Image Capture' to view the pics on your iPad

You should be able to copy them off to wherever you want from there.

it is with a dslr. i use the camera kit to import pics from the SD card to the ipad. the problem is that they create and import to a new folder on the ipad (not into the camera roll where all screenshots and other pics go)

itunes, photostream, and even hooking it up to a PC and opening it as a drive don't recognize anything unless it's in the camera roll and there doesn't seem to be a way to import to that destination. basically, the pics just get stuck on the ipad unless i either delete them individually or email them to myself.

k i have a question for you. when i import pictures from my iphone 4s to my computer via photostream or cable they appear all black. why

Hmmmm - ok that's a weird one.

There are many possible solutions - I'd try right clicking a black photo in iPhoto and select "Show in Finder" and see if you can open it in Preview or Safari.

If it's black in either of those - you know it's getting transferred improperly.

If it works - then something is wrong with iPhoto. There might be an option to rebuild the database or something.

HOWEVER - if you're on a PC - all bets are off and you're probably screwed.

it is with a dslr. i use the camera kit to import pics from the SD card to the ipad. the problem is that they create and import to a new folder on the ipad (not into the camera roll where all screenshots and other pics go)

itunes, photostream, and even hooking it up to a PC and opening it as a drive don't recognize anything unless it's in the camera roll and there doesn't seem to be a way to import to that destination. basically, the pics just get stuck on the ipad unless i either delete them individually or email them to myself.

You have Windows?

You might be SOL.

I have a windows computer at work and plugged the iPad into it to read it as a drive and see if I could get the pics off that way. But thanks for fanboying out because you can't solve this issue....

what about inserting the sd card into the windows computer? most laptops circa 2000 should have a slot.

i think it might have to do with the dslr creating a DCIM folder as opposed to just storing the photos. or maybe your camera save format is in *.raw? or maybe the ipad will only camera roll pics with a certain resolution? sry no idea, i dont even have an ipod (anymore)