Travel Communication Poll

broneck

International Travel Communication  

20 members have voted

1. 1. When Travelling internationally, I communicate with friends and fellow travellers by:

• Buying a new phone in the country I'm visiting
    • Unlocking my phone and getting a new sim card in the country I'm visiting.
    • Biting the International/Roaming Charges bullet because I'm lazy.

Hey guys,

doing a little marketing research. Just wondering if any super-globetrotters out there struggle with phone communication when they're travelling internationally. If so, how do you circumvent this problem. Feel free to ask me some questions if the options aren't clear enough.

thanks.

- Matt

I hate having to have multiple numbers/having to be like 'hey this is my number for the week' every time I travel, so I usually just buy whatever data packs/texting packs for traveling my carrier offers and biting the bullet.

A lot of Indian phone companies make phones that carry two sim cards, if any North American companies jumped on it, it'd probably do huge business.

Edited by Goslett

i really wish more ppl understood the ripoff that are intl call and roaming charges. i travel a lot for work and the IT morons think they have negotiated an "awesome" deal with Rogers that end up being much cheaper than buying unlocked bb and having ppl buy pre-paid sim when they travel (it's not true, i racked up a $14K 1-month bill in London last year and didn't even use my bb that much....) so even though it really pisses me off, i just use my phone with roaming.

I typically don't even bring my phone, or if I do it's mostly for apps that don't require any sort of phone service. Going abroad (for vacation at least) is a nice time to disconnect completely from your world. If absolutely necessary I'd just bring a laptop and email any sort of communique.