fuck #menswear

homi29

The mix between technological and traditional in his clothing sets him apart from simple #menswear IMO. It's more recreating classics for the modern man. I personally think it can be a little too referential at times, but it's not straight up reactionary as most of these #menswear guys.

I'm not a big fan of his though, and likes his pieces mostly when they are contrasted one way or other. Maybe that's why I never feel blown away by his runway shows. It's just too much for me.

Almost regretting I posted that. Don't want to derail this into a discussion on whether certain brands are #menswear or not. I feel most brands are not even trying to push this trend, and they can be worn so many different ways ie. junya, visvim and eg.

J. Crew though is wholly embracing it and pushing it to the masses, which is so backwards since it's basically fast fashion disguised as traditional craftmanship.

Edited by aoi

EG definitely is #menswear, but its more of a middle finger to traditional menswear than similar brands. They kinda do things on their own accord, which is far from the #menswear ideology. Brands like Jcrew are following trends, while EG and vis are a little bit ahead of the curve, creating a style that is slowly copied. Stuff like their dealings with mcnairy are kinda sad, but I see how they play into the same aesthetic with the mismatched pairs and quirky designs.

Edited by Fycus

i dunno.

of course the #menswear folk will fawn over an engineered garment fair isle and the mere whisper of 'daiki' sends blood to their loins, but i don't think it's fair to write off an entire brand as part of the #menswear spectacle, especially a brand that predates the 'fad.' I sort of see #menswear as a misguided ideology rather than a collective of different brands/labels.

except for jcrew. that shit is unequivocally #menswear

i don't think it's fair to write off an entire brand as part of the #menswear spectacle, especially a brand that predates the 'fad.' I sort of see #menswear as a misguided ideology rather than a collective of different brands/labels.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.