Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

They have replied, direct from the managing director of the company. The my original message, and the reply are as follows...

This was my message, sent yesterday.

Hi Peter,

I received my Whites boots back today, and while I am happy with the quality of the work carried out, it is definitely not what I asked for. As you will see in the email below I specified either a Vibram Composition Half Sole, or a Vibram Mini Lug sole, what you have actually fitted is a full Vibram Lug sole, not a mini lug sole.

I'm sorry, but bearing in mind that yours is a well respected shoe repair company I would expect you to either know the difference, or at least ask if you were unsure (typing either into Google shows a miriad of pictures). The sole fitted is a completely different profile to what I wanted, and nothing like any of the pictures which I sent to you both by email, and hard copy. In fact, the sole currently on my boots is exactly the sale style of sole as I sent them to you with.

Please advise me as soon as possible how we can rectify this situation, I firmly believe that by providing the exact names of the soles which I was willing to use, and proving pictures of the exact boots fitted with the soles I asked for, that I would indeed receive what I had asked for. The charge of £140 (including delivery) to not receive what I had hoped for is extremely disappointing to say the least.

I await your response on how we should proceed to resolve this, may I suggest either a complete rework free of charge, or a full refund to allow me to get the work carried out elsewhere.

Thanks

G Smith

And the reply....

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your helpful reply. I am sorry for the disappointment with the boots. Please can you return them so that we can fit the correct soles.

Yours sincerely

Peter Schweiger

Managing consultant

Do I trust them?

Do I trust them?

Are you bothered about getting the vibram stitched on or are you happy to have it simply glued on? Because judging by your pictures it is not stitched on. You might want to clarify that if it is going to be an issue - especially If they simply glue on a half sole, that thing will loosen and flap about in the wind.

Go for it mega, I'm sure they'll sort it out and you know that quality wasn't the issue.

Quick question, do any of you use a particular product to cover scuffs, scratches and dents on the welts and sides of the heel/sole on your leather-soled footwear? Or just polish?

I have agreed for them to repair the boots, and have sent the following response ....

Hi Peter,

Just a last couple of details.

Obviously, I expect that I will be refunded the costs of returned shipment, as it is no fault of mine that the boots have had to be returned. You can refund directly to the credit card details of mine which you have please, the cost of postage will be marked on the returned package for your attention. I also do not expect to be charged to have them returned to me.

Also, if you use the Vibram composition half sole to resole the boots, please stitch the half sole into position using the outer row of stitching on the welt, rather than just glue it. I was unable to ascertain whether or not the heel had been replaced by nail or again simply glue. Once again, please ensure that it is not just glued into position, this has been an expensive and time consuming repair already, and these boots see daily wear, I would hate to have to get in contact again in a few weeks time if the resole shows signs of coming apart. Without wishing to be too harsh, my local cobbler could glue a sole into position for me for less than £30, I came to your company as I wanted, and expected a quality job making of my expensive, hand made boots. I have been charged for quality, and I expect quality.

I apologise if my tone seems curt, but I need to be clear what I expect from my returned boots. I trust that they will be given urgent attention, rather than the standard lead time for repairs?

Yours Sincerely

G Smith

Go for it mega, I'm sure they'll sort it out and you know that quality wasn't the issue.

Quick question, do any of you use a particular product to cover scuffs, scratches and dents on the welts and sides of the heel/sole on your leather-soled footwear? Or just polish?

i do a couple of passes of mink oil each time & use a blow dryer to evenly distribute..

Edited by BrownMetallic

I have agreed for them to repair the boots, and have sent the following response ....

Look forward to hearing how they come back.

The sole of the boot I posted above has started to separate again in exactly the same spot - and it's probably for the best that they're down in london and i'm in brum...

i've spoken to the crockett shop about getting a total refund via them and am going in tomorrow to show them what their preferred cobbler in london has (or should that be hasn't?) done again...

My as montrose arrived from " a fine pair of shoes this morning " Fantastic customer service , next day / saturday delivery and complimentary saphir wax included too . Very helpful on the phone when I ordered . Good to see some people do still believe in customer service !!

Edited by mikedbt5

Hey addic, Capri does great work, at a good price. Tell them Ray sent you. And ask for Jose. He knows what's up. They have resoled a lot of my boots

went in yesterday. i asked for the vibram. but the young chick that works there (didnt get her name) went back to talk to Jose and he recommended a different sole. they would have to resole the heel so it the boots wouldnt be uneven if i went with vibram. picking them up friday.

What do the Engineer Boots aficionados think of these Moto boots from Japan?

http://www.chukai.ne...ts/EB1/eb1.html

To me the leather looks very beautiful and seems to promise relatively fast ageing. They also look very comfortable.

There are two version:

1. made of cowhide for JPY68,250 (around US$830 or EUR 625)

2. the other made of Kip leather for JPY 55,650 (and with a crepe sole)

I didn't know what Kip leather is so I googled:"through a "Kip leather" process which originated in Europe. Kip leather is 20% lighter and tighter grained than conventional steerhide. As a result Precision gloves are more pliable, easier to break in, with more tensile strength." (from a baseball glove website)

The colour is stated as black/brown. I'm not sure if that means, two colour are available or that it's black that will fade to brown.

They are available in both black and brown.

A bit unusual that they don't have the top strap. (The lady's version is also available in black and brown and also natural. They have the upper strap. And the sole is a mini-Vibram (half-sole):

http://www.chukai.ne...LEB1/leb1.html#)

The soles are Vibram.

Very nice that the lining is horsehide (apparently for 2012 one; on the moto site for I guess the older version it says cowhide lining).

The sizes are also a bit unusual and limited to three: 1,2 and 3. 3 with 27-28cm seems to be roughly the equivalent to US 9.5-10 in boots.

The founder/owner seems to come from a family of shoemakers.

motoeb1br.jpg

motoeb1oneyearlater.jpg

Edited by indigoeagle

My as montrose arrived from " a fine pair of shoes this morning " Fantastic customer service , next day / saturday delivery and complimentary saphir wax included too . Very helpful on the phone when I ordered . Good to see some people do still believe in customer service !!

i really rate the service julian and sarah at 'a fine pair of shoes' provide. in fact, all the people with whom i've dealt with directly for shoe-related stuff have been engaging and helpful (richard shoehealer, the c&j retail and factory staff, etc). just a shame that the one time i used an intermediary, the service provided was well below par and they proved unwilling to unable to sort it out.

c&j refunded the cash to me today with no fuss at all, and they said that they'd worry about getting it back from our friend, the rogue cobbler. i'm about to drop richard smith a line to see what he can do with the existing sole unit as i like the brown commando sole.

how do you rate the montrose? if it's in the same league as their dumfries model then you've a proper work-horse of a boot, easily the match of most present-day tricker's and probably not far off my skipton veldt boot of theirs. a couple of pairs of dumfries have passed through my hands recently but sadly not in my size, and now they've gone and bumped up the price by a hundred sheets to bring it in line with similar boots by other english makers...

shame that sargent won't be widely producing their classic, modestly-priced models now apart from runs specifically for people like 'a fine pair of shoes', as they were well worth the money and streets ahead of similarly priced models from barker, loake and (previously) grenson.

of course, it could well be that this was the reason they got themselves into last year's financial embarrassment, as their cheaper shoes were all being produced here...

i really rate the service julian and sarah at 'a fine pair of shoes' provide. in fact, all the people with whom i've dealt with directly for shoe-related stuff have been engaging and helpful (richard shoehealer, the c&j retail and factory staff, etc). just a shame that the one time i used an intermediary, the service provided was well below par and they proved unwilling to unable to sort it out.

c&j refunded the cash to me today with no fuss at all, and they said that they'd worry about getting it back from our friend, the rogue cobbler. i'm about to drop richard smith a line to see what he can do with the existing sole unit as i like the brown commando sole.

how do you rate the montrose? if it's in the same league as their dumfries model then you've a proper work-horse of a boot, easily the match of most present-day tricker's and probably not far off my skipton veldt boot of theirs. a couple of pairs of dumfries have passed through my hands recently but sadly not in my size, and now they've gone and bumped up the price by a hundred sheets to bring it in line with similar boots by other english makers...

shame that sargent won't be widely producing their classic, modestly-priced models now apart from runs specifically for people like 'a fine pair of shoes', as they were well worth the money and streets ahead of similarly priced models from barker, loake and (previously) grenson.

of course, it could well be that this was the reason they got themselves into last year's financial embarrassment, as their cheaper shoes were all being produced here...

Agree about Richard , he is top notch too. Good to hear c&j refunded you quickly , it shows they are a class act . Hopefully richard will sort you out . We both know how good his work is .

The montrose are my first qulaity purchase in a while , since I sold a load of stuff off last year (two full time students and a teenager at home cuts down on luxury shoe / clothing purchasing) As you say , a workhorse boot , very thiick double leather soles and stacked heels but supple waxy black calf uppers . They seem to be very comfortable but when i get some segs and a topy on them and get out and about in them I will know better . I agree about the trickers comparison , these are a match of the black calf stows I owned last year . the montrose uppers may actually turn out better after wearing I hope as the trickers black calf was quite stiff and creased easlity .

I hope things go well for as , they do still seem to produce a mid price shoe / boot option in the dumfries at £260/£270 and the appleby . Still expensive but in comparison to Loake / Barker then Trickers a good buy . Somw of the exclusive collection footwear is pure eye candy !!

Edited by mikedbt5

i think sargent used gorse calf for their older brogue boots, which is waxy and very hard-wearing - i think (not 100% though) that zug grain leather is basically embossed gorse calf as it's also waxy and very durable. the only way to get a shine on zug and gorse is to properly bull the boots, which takes time and the look isn't to everyone's preference.

the ticker's veldtschoen boot was heavily bulled when i got it, and although dubbin has toned down the shine they still have that bulled appearance. not sure if i've the inclination to keep them that way, or to let them go back to a more matte finish as they are worn:

dsc01778dr.jpg

definitely agree with your comments on the sargent exclusive range...i'm currently considering sargent or edward green for a pair of boots and it's a nice little dilemma to have...

those black engineers are looking great! are they rrl or wesco or what?

damn. maybe when i gain more weight and possibly get a job. semi dress is going to have to hold off my neglected addiction for a while.

theblackgoat

would you put detail photos on the wesco boss? I just ordered mine last week.... need to be entertained with the photos first I guess to soften 10-12 weeks wait

if you want to get wesco, do it before they increase 5-13% the price on the first of next month