Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

White's past and present

6864557825_94c5f1b295_z.jpg

old work boots

6864550917_a0c5d973b1_z.jpg

New (to me) work boots. Thanks slide!

6864553493_de2de9199a_z.jpg

these 2yr(?)old Semi Dress looked trashed from flying kites in 2" of freezing muddy water, I let them dry over night, added a light coat of Obeneufs, and hit with a brush. I am amazed at how the look

6864556713_701bfe3a96_z.jpg

6864631623_ef604508bd_z.jpg

Edited by illumin8em

probably better off in the vans and denim weekend thread. "also, no sneakers please. thanks."

and i've got some authentics that will give you a run for your money :D

illumin8em

loving those SD!

Edited by wgmds

i've not seen the boots in a bigger size than 10, although we know via paul t's blog that they were made in larger sizes:

spring62.jpg

an additional factor to consider is that these rarely crop up outside of england specifically or the wider united kingdom occasionally and both the boots and shoes are heavy (surprisingly so, in some cases), so postage charges are always going to be on the high side and prohibitively expensive if the boots weigh more than 2kg...

I don't care, my vans may not evolve to become as pretty as leather shoes but they certainly have a hell of a good story behind them.

6809931023_556481489e_z.jpg

Turn that story into a best seller then, but please don't repost a tatty old pair of trainers in here.

I was able to get these Red Wing chukkas for 75 € new... Must say I am impressed with how comfy they were straight out of the box... I think these are an older model (padded ancle, different box,...).

e0aeba55.jpg

Is that Red Wing Chukka 3141? I have this pair, yet mine comes with laces that match the color of the leather, and doesn't have the yellow lining in the inside of the shoes, i.e. like the pair in this page

http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Red_Wing_Work_Chukka_in_Briar_Oil_Slick_3141_1806.html

I was able to get these Red Wing chukkas for 75 € new... Must say I am impressed with how comfy they were straight out of the box... I think these are an older model (padded ancle, different box,...).

Yeah, the older ones are much nicer imho. good score!

Here are my oldest, indigo stains & all...

6875860705_31f0575b0d_z.jpg

Edited by riff

I had a pair of those a few years back Riff, what did they call the leather on those? As I remember it had some fancy name, they were good boots, which I regret selling.

General question for a 2012 purchase for summer.

Whites/ Bakers Oxfords, or Viberg Oxfords ?

i also found a pair of lotus or AS veldts (the insoles were too worn to tell who)... but when i got to work i discovered it was two left shoes of two different pairs. :(

how on earth did you manage that?! nice tricker's, by the way...

these might interest a few of you...i believe they're lotus, by the markings, and they're at least 60 years old as it's actually possible to put an approximate date on them:

dsc01516e.jpg

it's just about possible to see the cc41 logo inside them, standing for 'controlled commodity 1941', used during the second world war and up to 1952 for utility clothing that had met the british government's austerity measures in terms of material and labour used in production:

dsc01514km.jpg

the logo by itself:

CC41.gif

the shoes have obviously been looked after, judging from the residual dubbin all over the shoe and the stitched-down upper - the leather itself is almost greasy to the touch, not a mean feat for a shoe this old:

dsc01512w.jpg

the best thing is they fit quite nicely...

i also found a pair of lotus or AS veldts (the insoles were too worn to tell who)... but when i got to work i discovered it was two left shoes of two different pairs. :(

They'll be perfect for you - I've seen you on the dancefloor!

anyone else having SD shoe lace migration? None of my other boots has this happen, noticed both laces way longer on the one side to the other... Is it a white's thing?

^I noticed it more with the stock laces. but I switched to the alden flat waxed laces and I dont have that problem.

yeah, they're stock SD... my aldens don't do that so it must be the wax...

how on earth did you manage that?! nice tricker's, by the way...

they looked like a pair... i guess i didn't think to check they matched, as you don't expect it do you?

i suppose the carboot stall owner i bought them from probably still has two right shoes in the back of her car...

Edited by killer b

I had a pair of those a few years back Riff, what did they call the leather on those? As I remember it had some fancy name, they were good boots, which I regret selling.

General question for a 2012 purchase for summer.

Whites/ Bakers Oxfords, or Viberg Oxfords ?

I have both and i like the white's better. it just looks and feels like a 50's style shoe and you don't see that in anything else. the Vibergs feel like low cut boots to me, very stiff and sturdy. Depends on what you're going for I guess, but if you want an oxford I would say the White's for comfort and style, and Viberg if you want an over the top bullet proof shoe