Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

today i went on a little adventure to nyc to try on a pair of wescos for sizing my custom narrows. when i got to the store to try them on, i realized that engineers aren't my thing :(. i don't think that i can ever get over the heel slippage (maybe the sizing was fucked up, but either way, i didn't like them too much). on the other hand, i did find out that LOVE the whites and their archease system. i'm planning on ordering a pair of dark brown or cordovan (probably water buffalo) classic semi dress. PUMPED!

CRAYZ SIZING ON THIS POST!

I've found that a lot of engineers need an extra hole on the instep strap for this exact reason. That alone can often fix the slippage problem.

I've found that a lot of engineers need an extra hole on the instep strap for this exact reason. That alone can often fix the slippage problem.

maybe i was just being a wimp, but the instep strap wouldn't go any further and the unpleasant feeling on the top of my foot wasn't helping. maybe i'm just not used to rigid shoes since the last pair that i broke in was my indy over 2 years ago. the white's just felt so nice. the arch ease was extremely comfortable, even with my flat feet. either way, i don't think that i can afford a custom fitting from wesco, and i will probably get more wear from a pair of whites due to the fact that the boss would only fit under my 23oz jeans (probably not the best for 90+ degree summertime). maybe i could go back to that quirky little fetish shop and try on another pair with what you're saying in mind. and oh yeah, i was dressed in tight jeans tucked into a pair of 14" wescos with a perfecto on. even though it was weird, giggly and awkward, i had a blast!

wow, those are just too awesome. i'm going to try and find out more about them. i live in texas, though. :wacko:

I would call the Union Square store and ask them for your size (TTS), cost and shipping. They're a great group and will find a pair for you. They are only sold in 2 or 3 stores in the US.

this is very wrong.

I've tried to get steel toes in the last two pairs of SD's I've ordered and White's refused to make them. They said they haven't been "tested" with steel toes and can't stand by them. Unless they'd changed their policy recently, they won't built the SD with steel toes.

The first pair I had to change to Farmer-Ranchers and the second pair I ordered with celastic.

someone told me it was about 115 yesterday. not quite sure how reliable his info was since his store was selling SD for $100 over retail, but that what he said.

one question before i order my SD: has anyone had water buffalo, and is there a difference that is very palpable through casual wear, or is it just different grain and some harder break in?

hubards shoe grease is pretty hardcore stuff. it smells like tar. i like it cause its old school version of snoseal pretty much.

i bought it cause the can looked cool lol.

works good for real work boots......but i would not recommend it for horween leathers or dress casual boots and shoes.

finally made a choice! http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/smaclo/item/p-whitessemidress/ i'm custom making these through Baker's! i hope the banks are open on monday so I can order these asap! they're black bison upper, black water buffalo toe vamp, single leather with vibram half sole, antique w/eyelets, brown stain, classic heel all on the standard last.

Dick Danger, would you mind sharing your thoughts on those Nicks? I spent some time pondering over getting some a few months back, but couldn't find much information or opinions on them. Particularly interested in how they stack up against Whites, in terms of build, material quality, comfort etc..

I haven't worn White's in a long time. Having said that, I think a Nick's boot is equal to a White's in every way. The standard arch is a little different though. My standard is a Wesco, but I was rolling through Spokane and decided to order a pair on impulse. If you want work boots I would tell you to look at Wesco first, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. In my circles most guys prefer Wesco or Nick's because of the rounded toe. The chunky square toe on White's Smoke Jumper looks weird with a steel toe.