Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

dad's EB duck boots ~20+ years old and my LLB boots 6 mo. old! Before and waaay after! i remember being 15 yo and my parents trying to convince me to wear a pair during the winter - there was no way they could get me to do it. if i only knew..!

dad's:

e024a6d9.jpg

mine:

0f940790.jpg

together:

7a76c588.jpg

close up:

05a85ad0.jpg

sexls (self edge x leather soul) alden boots worn 8 months.....

alden2.jpg

would dig those with another sole, something like the ultimate indies maybe...

doesn't the toe stitching let water in?

WWII Impressions is having a nice little sale for those considering some of their gear. I'm now contemplating picking up a pair of their Boondockers.

Christmas Sale

From Wednesday December 21, 2011 Through December 31, 2011

Take 10% off all listed prices after your order of $75.00 or more is received/downloaded.

This only applies to orders subtotaling $75.00 or more before sales taxes and S&H. This discount only applies towards merchandise that is in stock and does not apply towards prepaid reservations or backorders, or special order merchandise.

rkusmant, those Alden's look great. My 405's are easily my favorite pair of boots. I love the color mine have evolved into in the 9 months I've had them. They're are definitely my most comfortable pair as well. BTW do you have any updated pictures of those Tricker's Eaton you got a while back.

I don't usually like cap toes, but those look great. Sorry if this is obvious, but are these an older SExLS collaboration, or do you have a pre-production model (I thought they were going to be black)? If these are an older model, are they still available anywhere? I couldn't find them on the Leather Soul site.

sexls (self edge x leather soul) alden boots worn 8 months.....

alden2.jpg

alden1.jpg

alden6.jpg

alden7.jpg

alden4.jpg

alden5.jpg

alden3.jpg

Whats the thoughts on these? I'm thinking of something similar, but with black chrome excel instead of french calf, and brown edging rather than natural.

ap_20110228021452319.jpg

I don't usually like cap toes, but those look great. Sorry if this is obvious, but are these an older SExLS collaboration, or do you have a pre-production model (I thought they were going to be black)? If these are an older model, are they still available anywhere? I couldn't find them on the Leather Soul site.

These are a pre-production model. The official release will come in both black and natural chromexcel. There are a few preview shots on Leather Soul's website but they are slated to release in January.

I really like those whites mega. Are they from Life Time Gear blog? Ive seen a black all bull hide Semi Dress with brown edge and Vibram and that looked even better. Could still do a toe cap too?

The issue with Whites is that they are very period specific and I think they only really look good when it is a real vintage look such as 1920s/30s or even earlier. Of course, its personal preference but I think Whites with anything later than a 55 type cut just look wrong.

Pic is from ultrasound boots - the hk dealer.

I think it looks alright, but having the tougher grained leather on the toe-cap would make more sense.

Edited by mikecch

I'm not sure how White's bullhide ages, no experience with them - though, they appear to be chrome-tanned, and chrome-tanned bullhide doesn't "age" all that much in my experience.

Being a chrome leather I guess achieving a shine wouldn't be too difficult.

Personally I like the lighter coloured bullhides better - the texture of the grain complements the colour much better than, say, a dark brown or black leather. On the black the grain looks too artificial, and in the polished state looks like a printed grain. White's water-buffalo might do the trick better in black. Just my 2c.

Edited by mikecch

Thanks for the opinions guys, both positive and negative, that is what I asked for.

My thoughts on getting a custom boot, like the ones above, was that I wanted something quite outlandish, something with a very specific look. I love the bull hide contrasted with a smoother leather, and I thought chrome excel might be a bit tougher than calf, and easier to get a nice shine on.

I know a boot so specific looking as these will divide opinion, and people will either love them or hate them, but all my other footwear is very plain and understated, so I thought it might be time to get just one pair of boots that demand attention.

I'll keep the thread updated with what I decide, thanks again for the help and opinions.

I think that the boots look outlandish on their own, but once they become part of an outfit they would be much less noticeable. It's hard to judge without seeing them in context of an overall fit, but life is about taking risks. I'll give it some more thought, do a bit more research, and see what else might appeal. I'm not planning on ordering until then end of January anyway.

I think you'd be taking a huge risk sporting them in front of your mates!

You're kidding right? My mates are high street all the way, and have you seen the shit being put out by Next/ Topman/ H&M? No risk to me dude, I'd take clothing advice from them, like they'd take hair style advice from me.