Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^ For the condition of the vamp leather was a measure of a man's character :P

A tree, a clean and a good feed and I bet that Alden will look quite nice.

The toe-stitch is very curious, makes the whole boot look very Alden-pedic.

This pic I dug up from N.O.S. w/box, Alden from the 50s:

imgp6899.jpg

I do like this quarter-brogue approach to the double row toe-stitch better.

Sorry if not appropriate in this thread, but

How to size Lone Wolf Engineer boots, if I wear a size 8 (UK) in both Road Champs & Vibergs?

Thx

Im not keen on the way that some Alden none cordovan boots took knackered after not that much wear. After 8 months, that SE boot just looks a bit tatty. Same goes for the Indy boot, after a few weeks it just seems a bit shabby. Obviously personal preference but I thought back in the old days boots were cherished and looked after, even those that were truly worn for work purposes.

I agree, and it is personal preference I know. I enjoy shoes that look better with age, not shoes that have been beat to shit and look like they belong to a hobo.

I don't think those shoes are that bad and nothing that a good clean and polish won't rectify. However, I think I have seen some examples on here of shoes that look wrecked after a relatively short period of time; it seems some people have a similar attitude to their shoes as they do to their jeans. I've always respected decent footwear and attempted to prolong their life by a decent maintenance routine - it's always been my aim to keep them looking as new as possible despite the wear.

Just purchased some Whites Smoke Jumpers, 6", lace to toe, brown oil finish smooth leather, Vibram 700 sole, natural edge, leather lining. Feeling pretty pleased with myself, pics (obviously) when they arrive.

There is a finite number of resoles before a new welt is required. I'm trying to remember but I think it is 3 or 4 depending on who is doing it and who you speak to. The upper to welt/sole stitching is all hidden and new holes can be made I think so it can last many more resoles. I think you will die/your uppers will wear out first.

Coleslaw will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure... my memory is fading.

was talking last night about resoling boots. Is there a limited number of times you can do that before the uppers can't be sewn back on? Sort of makes sense. but curious if any of you have heard this before. Or can boots just be rebuilt for life by swapping out what ever needs to be replaced.

Edited by fre-co

@ Fresco

I still only have the sd's which i bought earlier in the year from the forum. I bought the smoke jumpers from a poster over on the iron heart forum, and yep it appears that this may well be a new whites addiction.

Edited by Megatron1505

Posted (edited) · Hidden by onehundy, December 21, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by onehundy, December 21, 2011 - No reason given

Someone help me with dress shoes/boots

anyone comment on the quality and workmanship of

G&G

EG

John Lobb

Alfred sargent

thanks.

Edited by onehundy

Moving back to the topic of aging shoes... several months of abuse later, natural soles are no longer natural.

DSC_0733-1-1-1.jpg

What's the leather/color on these? It's really something. If I could ever get the scratch together for a pair, I think this would be the finish.

Edited by Joseph Hill

What's the leather/color on these? It's really something. If I could ever get the scratch together for a pair, I think this would be the finish.

Sienna bullhide with a light brown waterbuffalo toecap. The buffalo's got a terrific post-polish sheen... I definitely recommend using some elements of it if you dig the polished look.