Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Went down to the William Lennon factory last week.

This is the 1904 Blake machine that is at the heart of their production;

Blakemachine.jpg

The factory is hidden away in the heart of the Peak District. Very misty and mysterious as I made my up there by train and taxi... and then the sun came out.

Countryside.jpg

Lennon director Dan Walker:

Dan.jpg

And yes, their shoes do indeed look better with age. THis is a Zug boot on the WW2 last - note how the toe shape changes after hard wear.

WW2worn-in.jpg

More pics appearing 9.30 at www.loomstate.co.uk

that second pair of zug boots looks really nice.

oh, markus, you can hook us RW wearing people up with resoles? wouldn't mind a vibram moreflex on my 2904's...

I just got these back from Zip Stevenson, and I had him use some of the Cat's Paws I found a few weeks back. They are 50s-60s Chippewas that started as a much taller pair with kick plates and metal taps on the soles. I had Zip cut them down and resole them. His work speaks for itself, but I have to say his turn around and pricing are pretty damn good too. It was only $200 for all the work he did on these, and he said a standard resole with Biltrite half soles only runs $180.

The before:

6419604027_21f79484fb_z.jpg

The after:

6419600093_16236de1d5_z.jpg

The shafts look uneven, but are even when stretched to their true height.

6419601325_e43774a81a_z.jpg

6419600723_6c443a66e5_z.jpg

6419602417_bd9b91b14c_z.jpg

And his standard resole with Biltrite half soles (which are still very nice IMO)

6419599553_04a6ef4a0e_z.jpg

And a few pics of the RRLs I recently purchased since I just mentioned them.

6419604873_e015407c2c_z.jpg

6419607439_854b07180d_z.jpg

Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like them. The extra features on these are a nice touch, like the extra stitching at the rear, the brass roller buckles and the sole work, but I don't think I would have paid anywhere close to retail for them.

Ya, I sort of have a backlog of stuff I needed to get rid of. Some are boots I originally planned to sell, and others are from my collection that I just don't have room for.

Attackwithstones, I think I saw a few more of the studded rrls on ebay in like 8 9 and 10. The seller who has them for $795 was easy to deal with and actually negotiated a lower price with me.

Rayw44, resole on those engineers looks very good, so do the biltrites; ah, also pls check your pm

not everyones cup-of-tea but Red Wing released a new model: the 'IronSmith'; engineers with a cap toe (available in black, brown and tan)

10x2_6df_u31k.jpgUploaded at ImageFra.me

xy59_8c0_u31k.jpgUploaded at ImageFra.me

Yes, navy ones from Oak Street Bootsmakers and the other is custom made by Rancourt.

Cool, nice looking shoe. How do you like them? I know they're completely different than the camp boot, but, how did you find the sizing? Spot on true to size like they say?

hey, a heads up for anyone visiting bangkok. i was wandering through jatujack (or chatuchak) market last weekend and saw a bootery selling engineer harness and cowboy boots. i didn't look that long, but for anyone that's interested it looked like all the boots were good year welted, natural/brown midsoles, leather stacked heels and i believe the one pair of boots i looked at was 2500 baht ($80), but don't quote me on that. Definitely not the same quality as viberg or whites, but worth looking into if you're coming through here and you can't afford the higher end goods (or want something no one else has). in the next 2 weeks i'm going to try to head out there with my camera.

it's across from the denim section if you know the market at all. if not, send me a pm and i'll try to explain in more detail.

More engineers:

6426722599_ff543653da_z.jpg

These are my new Wesco boss. stock make up, I got these for a pretty good deal.

Here's a question for engineer aficionados: How fucking tight should they be!? They are certainly gripping my foot around the instep. Am I going to be crippled for life? Any advice on how they should fit and feel when new would be much appreciated (imaginary rep will be given)

Cool, nice looking shoe. How do you like them? I know they're completely different than the camp boot, but, how did you find the sizing? Spot on true to size like they say?

Sizing a bit tighter than OS because it's leather lined. Both of my 2 pairs are oxford trail shoes, so exactly same style.

I know (Kyle) Rancourt is kind of new name here but great service and less than 2 weeks for shipped custom order never hurts, my wallet does actually.

more pics here:

311d17dc.jpg

d0a21aca.jpg

d30a1d47.jpg

9768633d.jpg