Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

After seeing all the british zug grain boots in this thread I got inspired to order a pair. I decided on the Cheaney Pennines and received them a few days ago so I thought I would post some pictures. They are country grain, which is like zug except a little more smooth. The Cheney boots come with a nice sheen to them and are veldtschoen construction. In my opinion they are a really nice pair of boots. I ordered them from Richard at The Shoe Healer who is a really nice guy to deal with. Shipping only took a weekend from the UK to the US. As for sizing, I went one full size down from US sneakers and a half size down from US dress shoes. They fit great after a few days of breaking them in. Anyway, here are the pics.

This is in direct sunlight.

IMG_4128.jpg

This is with flash. The burgundy color really comes out under certain light.

IMG_4121.jpg

This is inside without flash.

IMG_4106.jpg

I really like the profile of this boot.

IMG_4119.jpg

And lastly a picture of the inside symbol that Cheaney stamps in their boots.

IMG_4133.jpg

Would it be silly to re-sole that natural cxl indy with a vibram 430 and use it as a pseudo-rugged boot?

I'm crazy about that leather and willing to make some compromises. Not sure how long I want to wait for Baker to deliver natural cxl White's.

I think the Vibram honey lug sole might look great with the color, at least that's my plan after the soles are worn out, I'm not a fan of replacing soles of brand new boots/shoes.

I can post pictures later when I get home. The boot was originally brown but I treated it with black mink oil about 10-15 times than it slowly turned dark brownish. I think Christophe did the same with his boot.

IMG_0731.jpg

an older picture but thats after the resole.

heres a close up of the leather.

IMG_0856.jpg

Is there any polish for Red Wing 9011 Dark Cherry GT? The boots have been having white scratch marks after knocking onto objects while walking... Any way to fill up the white marks with the same colour?

I'd find a Kiwi polish as close to the color as possible and use very light coats till a desired look OR apply that Red Wing oil to dark up the spots.

Is there any polish for Red Wing 9011 Dark Cherry GT? The boots have been having white scratch marks after knocking onto objects while walking... Any way to fill up the white marks with the same colour?

Allen Edmonds makes a polish in a chili color that I used on my black cherrys before and it worked great!

After seeing all the british zug grain boots in this thread I got inspired to order a pair. I decided on the Cheaney Pennines and received them a few days ago so I thought I would post some pictures. They are country grain, which is like zug except a little more smooth. The Cheney boots come with a nice sheen to them and are veldtschoen construction. In my opinion they are a really nice pair of boots. I ordered them from Richard at The Shoe Healer who is a really nice guy to deal with. Shipping only took a weekend from the UK to the US. As for sizing, I went one full size down from US sneakers and a half size down from US dress shoes. They fit great after a few days of breaking them in. Anyway, here are the pics.

IMG_4121.jpg

This is inside without flash.

IMG_4106.jpg

They look great Chris , wish I had go these myself now !!

Killer boots !!!! Are those NOS? Or a new model I am not aware of.

Info please. I am a huge chippewa fan. A great boot for the price.

those are the chippewa for j.crew homestead boots

check here: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/ruggedboots/PRDOVR~54480/54480.jsp

maybe you can get another 25% of retail. just check the sales thread...

those are the chippewa for j.crew homestead boots

check here: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/ruggedboots/PRDOVR~54480/54480.jsp

maybe you can get another 25% of retail. just check the sales thread...

There's a promo going on now - you can get them for under $200 shipped if you use the STAYWARM code. At least until tomorrow night.

^^ Nice Pennines! I'm a bit of a fan of the Cheaneys that I've handled so far, apart from their rather flimsy 'modern' ranges. The 'Cardigan' veldtschoen shoes are the only pair that I miss from the recent down-sizing of my collection...

I've a pair of bargain AS Coldstream on the way, so I'm sure that my sorrow will be short-lived.

Use cream instead of wax, if you're looking to cover up scuffs. Normally, to retain the colour of a shoe or boot you'd use a polish the same colour or lighter, but this normally assumes that they're in good condition and I'm not sure that a lighter colour cream would make much of a difference.

I can post pictures later when I get home. The boot was originally brown but I treated it with black mink oil about 10-15 times than it slowly turned dark brownish. I think Christophe did the same with his boot.

IMG_0731.jpg

an older picture but thats after the resole.

heres a close up of the leather.

IMG_0856.jpg

Who did your resole?

My Fracap Scarponcini will be here early next week. Marro leather.

This will be my first pair of quality leather boots...

I want this pair to last.

What should I have prepared for this pair of boots? Is there any necessary application that I should consider of?

Edited by kimhwan92

Oh my username changed....

Since I got my new cigar shell indies, I have decided to sell a few pairs of boots.

These are going up on ebay this weekend unless anyone here is interested in them.

I thought I would give the thread a heads up before listing. And it allows me to post up some photos here.

Trickers Wetherby UK8.5 $100

5508347909_5aa66e3191_z.jpg

Alden #8 shell indy US9D commando sole. hardly any real wear to these. $400

5190420840_48ffcb5a49_z.jpg

Alden #8 shell bluchers US9D double leather sole. Hardly any wear at all $250

3815619132_f0bf8a2243_z.jpg?zz=1

3815292920_9890263d5a_z.jpg?zz=1

Alden standard indy US8.5EEE. several years old and well used hence $80

6083006183_b9465efca0_z.jpg

Alden Roy boots US9E no picture yet. You all know what they look like. $300

Hit me up if you need more deets.

oops doublepost, not liking 5.0 very much at this point