Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

size? I may be interested
illumin8em, what size?

your answer

I am a steady 10.5D RW, Alden, Wolverine 1000 miles, and 10.5D in White's Semi dress is just big enough to wear a thin insole, but I will say that the Semi Dress heel is quite broad. So that may allow for even more room.

anyone know a good shoes/boots shop around Shinjuku/Shibuya area? I'll have overnight layover in Tokyo in about a month...

Off the top of my head I can only think of:

Unionworks

〒150-0031 東京都渋谷区桜丘町22-20 

シャトーポレール渋谷B1-1

TEL. 03-5458-2484 FAX. 03-3770-0917

営業時間. 12:00~20:00 水曜定休日

They do shoe repair and sell refurbished Trickers, Edward Green and John Lobb.

I'm sure there's a ton especially around those shopping districts. When you say Shinjuku, all I see are giant malls, with a lot of cool shops.

Maybe someone else has spent more time there to give you better advise.

bought these wolverine boots a year and a half ago as they were 50% off and in my size so i thought why not - they have since served me well and spontaneously decided to give them some treatment:

BEFORE:

Worn through alot of rain, alcohol, clubs, to several countries... they have held up fairly well, although the welt and the leather sole were getting quite roughed up:

1000mile-before.jpg

1000mile-before-close.jpg

SANDING

So i decided to get out some moderately rough sandpaper, and took it to the soles... applied some pressure and just worked it till it was fairly even. Then i used a very fine grade sandpaper to give it a really smooth finish.

1000mile-sand.jpg

FINAL OIL:

I used RM williams leather conditioner (beeswax and lanolin base) on the whole boot which brought back the lustre to the chromexcel. I can never manage to get a real mirror finish o chromexcel, even with a shoe polish - this is the best i'll get. Also used the conditioner on the edge of sole (i don't have sole dressing but this works just as well), and even applied it to the outsole. Gave it a nice finish to the sole edge, and made the base of the sole looks similar to alden's "flex welt" oil sole.

1000mile-finish-close.jpg

1000milefinished.jpg

nicely done Khris89

anyone know where to pick up a pair of those RW2941 for a decent price? Ive been lusting for those ever since i saw them in the Japanese mags.

decided to sell my black RW Gt's because they are a half size too big. I recently acquired a pair of 2268 engineers in a half size smaller and those fit better. They do have some issues; there are a few (deep) cuts in the leather; brought them to the local cobbler but he's not sure if he can fix it. Should i try myself with leather glue/ shoe goo?

here's an update on my RW 875's; I only wear them in winter with thick socks. changed the laces since the original ones frayed; crepe soles are wearing out also

m1ty_7af_u31k.jpgUploaded at ImageFra.me

m1ty_1d2_u31k.jpgUploaded at ImageFra.me

m1ty_1c4_u31k.jpgUploaded at ImageFra.me

Off the top of my head I can only think of:

Unionworks

〒150-0031 東京都渋谷区桜丘町22-20 

シャトーポレール渋谷B1-1

TEL. 03-5458-2484 FAX. 03-3770-0917

営業時間. 12:00~20:00 水曜定休日

They do shoe repair and sell refurbished Trickers, Edward Green and John Lobb.

I'm sure there's a ton especially around those shopping districts. When you say Shinjuku, all I see are giant malls, with a lot of cool shops.

Maybe someone else has spent more time there to give you better advise.

Thanks, I'll put in my potential itinerary.

A fantastic shop for Trickers and more english types shoe in Shibuya

Trading Post

http://tradingpost.jp/

They've got some lovely stuff there, but the prices are something else. They've got what looks like my C&J Arran, but for twice the original retail price over here...

Some nice variants on the models you get in the West, though - I particularly like the Grasmere (or equivalent, they don't give the English names of the models) in espresso calf, and they have a couple of decent-looking 'Coniston' models including the black version that riff posted some time ago.

I'm trying to decide between dress brown and brown chrome excel for a pair of semi-dress.

Does anyone have a photo of a well worn pair of White's in the brown chrome excel? I've seen them pretty new, but I'd like to see how the leather ages.

http://theagatineeyelet.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/family2.jpg

brown chxl indy bottom right if that helps.

White's CXL is pretty different in color from what Alden uses, at least in my experience. I haven't seen a really good worn in pair but I'm sure it would look good. The brown dress looks awesome worn in though...really gains a ton of character with some heavy use. I've had both and I actually prefer the brown dress myself.

^Where've you been, man? Good to see you around.

shaking the dew off the lilly. thanks for the welcome back, and congrats on selling the house

size? I may be interested
illumin8em, what size?
your answer

you are correct . most are 10.5-11D. edit, whoopsadaisy. the Boondockers are size 10

I hate the stitching on the Indy's as well and I had the thread darkened with an Allen Edmonds shoe cream that matches well. Going to apply a few more times till they blend in with the leather.

The plain toe are pretty sweet, eliminates the stitching problem.

there was definitely a pair of longwings or short wings in natural a few pages back. a nice, mildly darker, but rich hue if that means anything.

i'm very happy with the transformation the natural chromexcel leather has taken in one season of hard wearing. i walk for miles in these all over NYC.

There are slight variations to the starting color of natural chromexcel from what i have seen from various releases. This pair started out almost band-aid'ish color, and now is maturing into a nice walnut.

I have only brushed these with a horsehide brush and treated twice with Saphir Renovator.

im very interested to see how this leather transformers over the real long haul.

Alden_Chromexcel_Longwing_004.jpg

here they are!