Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Been wearing these over the summer.

They are very nice quality of construction and materials, and i personally like the smaller profile of their double stitching welt to Whites and Wesco, but just not as comfortable as my Aldens or Whites...

I'm always on the fence about these Vibram soles..

i think i will ask Viberg for a traditional sole and heel when i send them back for resoling.

Viberge Leffot 145 BrogueToe

Viberge_Leffot_145_BrogueToe_lowtops_2.jpg

Viberge_Leffot_145_BrogueToe_lowtops_3.jpg

^I'd assume their older shoes were... pretty much every high end shoe maker did as far as I know...
They've been around since 1912, so they may have at some point. Did you find an old pair that you aren't sure of?

Gotcha, thanks for the info fellas. Yes I'm looking at pictures of a pair that look like could be shell. If I pull the trigger I'll be sure to put up photos for group investigations. Then again I like to think that if I have them in my hands I'll be pretty promptly able to determine for myself.

edit - Might as well share:

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-10-21%252520at%25252012.06.30%252520PM.png

They look like they could be shell. The creases are less pronounced than normal cowhide and, of course, they look to be #8 which is the most common color of shell.

can someone kindly tell me the difference between a BH on an SD last and a SD? i've tried searching the thread but didn't get answers. also don't have enough BH phots to compare.

is the toebox profile any different from each other on the two? very much appreciated..

exactly what's been said..the BH is just a more substantial SJ body on a semi dress last, aka, a work boot on a lighter utility last. The SJ is a SUPER heavy boot, so lighter doesn't mean light.

you've got non-celastic toe - soft and flat profile, to single celastic - semi-soft with some depth. My SJ are double celastic - hard and semi bulbous. The steel toe is about as bulbous and obviously hardest and serves to meet a lot of OSHA requirements.

^

damn, that's cool man!

how old are they?

Thanks dude, I think they are from the 70's or 80's, but i'm not really sure. I bought them from a lady off on craigslist. she found them in her fathers garage while cleaning it for him. When I purchased them they had never been worn, and they were still in the box with inspection certificate... pretty cool.

just purchased a pair of beat-up RW 2268 engineer boots. now wait and see if the size is right.

CTB; nice autumn selection; how many pairs of shoes/boots do you own already?

how do I go about cleaning dirt etc from my boots? can i remove it with saddle soap?

CTB; nice autumn selection; how many pairs of shoes/boots do you own already?

how do I go about cleaning dirt etc from my boots? can i remove it with saddle soap?

Try just using warm water and a clean cloth first, and see how you get on. I only tend to use saddle soap if cleaning up older shoes or boots when they've been neglected for a long time.

And I've around ten pairs of shoes and five pairs of boots, quite settled with the smaller collection I've got now. Only really looking to expand the shoe collection at the moment, as they get more wear during the week.

Too right, Mike, I'd only wear black shoes with a suit, and even then probably only in the evening (my preference is burgundy with blue suiting and brown with grey, as a general rule).

Have had to go down the formal road again with work . Funny enough I wear a pair of dark burgundy Barker derbys ( balck weldt and sole edging) with plain dark grey or thin pinstripe . Tried my marron stows with the dark grey pinstripe too , worked ok .