Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

like those toothbrushes that let you know when it's time to change...

^^ just exactly what I was going to say!

thanks for posting up your collection coleslaw. I was looking at those patents that Snake linked up again this morning, which definitely show them being full inserts (in the latter case cut from fabric if I understand it correctly- really interesting), however I've had another look and I'm pretty sure that in the case of mine they're all more or less surface (soles and heels). My guess is mine are relatively modern (my heels match the ones Coleslaw's listing as 70's), and maybe the earliest ones were full inserts but they later became more decorative?

I'm not convinced about the sole-change argument (although it makes sense), firstly because my spots are pretty much worn through and the rest of the sole if still totally good. So it'd be a pretty cynical bit of marketeering if this is the case! The second reason I question this is that on mine there's a deep groove cut around the spots (clearly shown on C's pics, and also you can see it on my photo last page) which goes well into the black. If this was a full insert the groove going all the way down to the bottom of the insert makes sense. If it's an indicator it doesn't seem necessary or logical. If it used to be an insert but in later models was just a thin layer of decoration then they'd want to keep the deep groove so the new soles looked the same as the old ones. That's my guess anyway.

Thanks so much for chipping in on this one:) really interesting stuff coming up

edit- coleslaw's second post went up while I was typing. Really clearly shows the deep groove on the outside of the white spot which I also have on mine

is anyone familiar with those boots? they look pretty dope.

I've had my Thorogood Horsehide boots since January and they are great boots. Solid construction and have worn in nicely. I stopped wearing mine a few weeks ago because I just can't get the perfect fit because they have always been a bit small (selling mine for half the price). Epaulet has awesome customer service when I went in to try them on. Even gave me a pair of Alden laces because I felt the stock ones are a bit short. I would recommend anyone visiting NYC to stop by.

picsay-1314637736.jpg

In the last two days my black and brown CXL Semi-Dresses and Custom Bosses arrived.

Semi-Dresses are great - definitely less armor-like than my double midsole dress black pair. The only thing White's could do to make me happier is offer Cambrelle as a lining option.

Baker forgot to include a couple of small items I ordered along with the boots (Obenauf's, socks), e-mailed them yesterday but didn't hear anything. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

The Bosses... I'm not thrilled. I requested with my order that they have a Highliner heel (to approximate the Wesco Narrows/'50s Engineer boots) - received them with all black edges (my fault, I didn't think to specify natural midsole) and the standard Motor Patrol block heel.

I've sent them an e-mail to find out why I didn't get the Highliner heel. If they'd called or e-mailed to inform me that it was impossible, I would have reverted to a normal Boss toe. Kinda frustrating for $800.

My heel slips a lot in them as well (too much to be comfortable), and I can't tighten the arch straps even though there are two more holes in them - is the strap purely vestigial?

6264845497_5791d2f20c.jpg

DSCF1594 by celluloidpropaganda, on Flickr

6264845263_d73b8d9c7f.jpg

DSCF1595 by celluloidpropaganda, on Flickr

6264846629_8f6ea07337.jpg

DSCF1597 by celluloidpropaganda, on Flickr

When I first got my wesco's I couldn't do anything with the straps. I just left them, but over time the leather loosens up a bit and you can pull those straps to tighten them up.

I just wore mine again today (I've been wearing my semi dress for a few months now straight) It was nice to have them on my feet again.

I'd suggest soaking the boots in your bathtub (fill them up with water) dump water and wear them wet until they dry. I did that after killing my legs and feet for a few weeks. My calves were bloody from my boots as the leather is so thick. I also had to take out the insoles at first because they were so form fitting..

Mine fit like a glove now and I can't say enough about the wesco boss...

Sorry, missed this post.

Just want to say that there're a few very good options for horsehide shoes/boots that are not "expensive".

In fact, two of the pairs I plan to include in my line-up are below $300.

Including all types of leather would be too difficult - I'm trying to strike a balance between variability and similarity in terms of the leather, that's why I've narrowed it down to one animal, but not a specific tannage/processing restriction.

The horsehide would provide this contest with a theme as well.

If you have any ideas, please do let me know.

Yeah....i see the bright pic now.Briliant idea mikecch. More input bout the comps.:cool:

Is there anywhere to get replacement laces for red wing GT? Or can someone recommended me something very similar?

My boot collection. I just applied mink oil to the red wings and desert boots. The black ones are Allen Edmonds.

362c17ae.jpg

b8e56702.jpg

25859aeb.jpg

24b7cbdf.jpg

a218acb9.jpg

ac7cb4cd.jpg

Not the best picture but you get the idea. I want to get a pair of 1000 mile boots or a pair of GT again. My old ones were to big. I dream of aldens but don't have the cash to put down just yet.

can someone kindly tell me the difference between a BH on an SD last and a SD? i've tried searching the thread but didn't get answers. also don't have enough BH phots to compare.

is the toebox profile any different from each other on the two? very much appreciated..

BH is basically a SJ on SD last. Here is my BH.

DSC_0873.jpg

DSC_0870.jpg

I do not own a pair of SD but I assume the SD toe profile is slimmer than BH's.

can someone kindly tell me the difference between a BH on an SD last and a SD? i've tried searching the thread but didn't get answers. also don't have enough BH phots to compare.

is the toebox profile any different from each other on the two? very much appreciated..

The last is the same but the boot is different. The bounty hunter is the smoke jumper boot on the SD last, so it has a higher shaft, and different shaft shape at bottom, heel counter, etc. Since they share lasts, I believe the toe profile is the same on both.

Echoing what Snake said... the Bounty Hunter is a Smoke Jumper on a Semi Dress. last. As far as I know, it's a Baker's "creation" and isn't available directly through White's.

The toe area on my BHs is a little more bulbous because I had a steel toe put in for work purposes. I would imagine that you wouldn't have this, so your toe profile should be damn near the same.

I can't stress it enough -- if you have a question call Baker's and speak with Kyle. He's also on sufu under Quack_Attack, I believe, but a phone call would be your best bet.

yes bulbous, that's the word i was looking for.. thanks for chiming in about the toe profile Layne. that was what i needed to hear.

would probably have dropped Kyle an email about this but i would imagine he already has a lot up his sleeve. since im not purchasing those BH's off him, i thought i would rather be asking it here instead as some of you might have experience with the BHs. thanks again for the info!

thanks coleslawyum

Single-Tone:Black +11" Height +Motorcycle Patrol Toe +#430 Vibram® Sole +One Top Strap (standard) +Standard Length +Nickel Plated Top Buckles +Buckled Instep Straps +Standard Length Instep Strap +Nickel Plated Instep Buckles +Lightweight Brown Upper Stitching +White Outsole Stitching

Decided to polish my beeswax Clarks Desert Boots. They’re normally a dull boot w/ no shine but I decided to add my own twist. Brown Kiwi was the weapon of choice. Feed back encouraged.

tumblr_lob4xenpaB1qzyauvo1_500.jpg

update

tumblr_ltfc5bpvCC1qzyauvo1_500.jpg

I want to switch the laces, maybe get some waxed leather the same color.