Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^ Haha, at least they haven't bloated themselves with ill-fated orders like that other Canadian boot company...

I would recommend contacting Ultrasound boots if you want Viberg's! Wait till Christmas/NY for the 10% discount though...

Viberg is probably overwhelmed.

They went from being a small shop catering to career loggers to the biggest thing in Japan basically overnight in a fucking riot of rich youngsters chanting WORKWEAR! WORKWEAR! WORKWEAR!

So what do you do? Hire a bunch of new people, open a second workshop and tool up at great cost, and hope that the demand stays?

Fashion is fickle, if we all collectively decide that Okabashis are the next big thing instead of custom triple-tone loggers, they're stuck expensive machinery that is now good for nothing but cobwebs, not to mention having to fire people.

They don't trust us to stand by them for the long run, and they're wise in that. Growing too fast can be lethal, they're playing it smart.

Plus, good things are worth waiting/hunting for.

hey.. planning to get a pair of custom white's from bakers.

but can any one enlighten me on the characteristics of the different leather?

It seems from the options, there are the French Calf, Dress Cow Standard, Cow Hide Standard, Bull hide, French calf, Water Buffalo and of cause the chrome excel leather.

I'm under the impression that the chrome excel leather is horse leather, am i right?

Kindly please enlighten me on the different types of leather mentioned above, so i can make a more informed purchase.

Thank you.

I'm under the impression that the chrome excel leather is horse leather, am i right?

Nup. Chromexcel is Horween's brand of vegetable re-tanned leather, a technique perfected in the early 20th century to, amongst other things, make vegetable tanned leathers more resistant to water.

FYI the modern method of tanning shell cordovan is derived from techniques studied in the development of re-tanning, both being great leaps forward in leather tanning pioneered by American tanners & curriers.

The majority of Horween's Chromexcel leathers are made from cattlehide. The Chromexcel leather you see on White's, Viberg, Yuketen, etc are not horsehide usually.

I think it would be a good idea to check out some leather samples...you won't know for sure which one you prefer unless you see and handle these leathers in person, as the naming of these leathers doesn't give much indication as to the tannage or post-tan processing they've received.

IMO the bullhide and water buffalo would be fantastic if they are of good thickness.

But Chromexcel cattlehide is a tried and true option - not a fine or rare leather, but it is reliable and easy to care for.

I see..

so there are no distincts pros and cons of one leather over the other..?

i was also thinking French calf, being called "calf" is actually some very delicate leather that will not withstand time/abuse that well... or is it some naive thinking?

Guess i should just stick to chromexcel as it is supposingly superior , from your post, compared to the others..?

Anyone know if a cobbler can narrow the shaft of a pair of red wing pecos boots and how hard/common it is to do? Would prob need to add a zip though, so you can still put them on.

I wouldn't do it, can't imagine how a zipper would look on those classic pull ups. I would have thought the shaft would come proportionate to the width? I mean, once its tucked under your jeans it wouldn't matter - unless its screaming discomfort.

I see..

so there are no distincts pros and cons of one leather over the other..?

i was also thinking French calf, being called "calf" is actually some very delicate leather that will not withstand time/abuse that well... or is it some naive thinking?

Guess i should just stick to chromexcel as it is supposingly superior , from your post, compared to the others..?

Mmm, I have seen some good calf leathers that withstood lots of abuse - calf leather is a nice leather with a tight corium & junction formation (due to lack of excessive dermal fat deposition as the beast is slaughtered young) and usually good uniformity of the grain, and if thick enough & well-made is quite durable.

It's all in the tannage and processing, so I can't really tell the pros & cons of any of these cattlehides you mentioned without actually handling and testing them - best to ask Kyle or someone at Baker's.

I'm sure I can give you a rough list of pro's and con's if you can find out for me how the different leathers were processed.

Chromexcel is a good option because it is easy to care for, doesn't need much conditioning, can achieve a polish or shine easily, and looks nice with a bit of age :)

I wouldn't call it 'superior', but it is a safe option.

Or get waterbuffalo because it wears like iron and has a wonderful grain to it. They're your shoes, have as much fun as you want.

Well, personally, for a pair of not inexpensive boots, I'd rather a leather of a rare tannage or origin, or a leather with an interesting historical/regional significance.

The water buffalo would be interesting, but AFAIK the water buffalo that White's uses isn't very thick.

CXL would be a very American leather to go with a very American boot...but, as wgmds said, it's your boot :)

Not that it's uncomfortable, but it's not quite fitting inside the cuff of my slimmer jeans!

I wouldn't do it, can't imagine how a zipper would look on those classic pull ups. I would have thought the shaft would come proportionate to the width? I mean, once its tucked under your jeans it wouldn't matter - unless its screaming discomfort.