Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

ThinFinn,

I think any boot aficionado should have at least 1 pair these:

Alden Indy 405

White's SD (lots of options on leather and configuration here)

if you already own these I'd go for one of these in no particular order:

Wolverine 1000/Addison (if you like the toebox which some people don't)

Tricker's Eaton (somebody recently did a group buy of these and they looked damn good)

William Lennon

Wesco Engineer (might be out of your budget) or Vintage Engineer (sometimes some good deals on ebay for these)

Ultimately it's up to your personal taste.

The Eaton look like this:

scaled.php?server=638&filename=dscf2481q.jpg&res=medium

If you're not part of a group buy then MTO is your only option (which I did, before the group buy), which is expensive and I wouldn't get another pair of Tricker's MTO now I know what else I could get for a similar wedge of cash. They're the only pair of Tricker's that I'm keeping, however, as I do love them to bits...

My recommendation would be to save up and break the bank with a decent pair of C&J, either the Coniston, Islay or Skye.

In terms of quality and style, they'll kick any other mid-range boot into a cocked hat. The only problem is that once you've got the taste for them, you start looking seriously at the 'next step' boots...

Although it will all depend on what they'll be worn for, I, as usual, agree with CTB. I used to love Trickers before I got both my C&J Islay and my AS Kelso and now I have to say that they both beat Trickers. I think the Kelso quality is as good for less money and the Islay is far nicer in quality and style for not too much more money.

I also really like my Context x Alden Roy's but the crepe sole means they'll probably not be much use in winter weather. I've heard more and more people complaining about the quality control on the more 'standard' Alden models so if you want those then see them in person rather than buying blind from the web.

Any reason why not?

The basic 405 brown is kind of ugly in comparison to other brown boots out there - it just looks cheaper. Two of the speeds hooks bent within days, they're made of pretty thin, soft metal. The tongue on the left boot wasn't straight. And I didn't think they were very comfortable.

Not huge issues, really, but for the price I thought they should be hardier, construction near-perfect and the leather should look better. (nb: bought them on vacation in SF and started wearing them immediately for a week of walking, so a return was not in the cards)

In the Indy's favor, I did like the Cambrelle (or Cambrelle-like) lining - I wish White's offered that on their boots rather than just leather lining.

If I ever ran across a pair of one of the special editions (Chromexcel, etc.) on the cheap ($150 or under), I might go for it.

Pretty disappointed with Levis for launching this "Made Here" line while simultaneously opposing minimum wage increase in Haiti. It makes their occasional dedication to US made goods feel pretty empty.

Sorry for the off topic/rant.

(edit: apparently this is also how I'm using my 1000th post. Woo?)

Pretty disappointed with Levis for launching this "Made Here" line while simultaneously opposing minimum wage increase in Haiti. It makes their occasional dedication to US made goods feel pretty empty.

Sorry for the off topic/rant.

Yes. I, myself haven't researched that but it does seem to fit in with Levi's. They should've stayed making all their clothes in the US in the first place but they're just like other companies (can't say I blame them) and it's all about the money.

Be interesting to see what percentage of posts in this thread are about shoes which look better with age rather than what people have just bought or what they plan to buy. Also surprising that someone actually needs to ask what they should buy given the abundance of indys, Semi Dress, Wolverines etc here.

However, in the spriti of things, why not take up almostnice's suggestion. The Red Wing oxbloods look pretty nice and would go with your workwear look. The more traditional English boots may be less so although interested to hear CTB comments on Trickers not matching up to C&J or AS.

Be interesting to see what percentage of posts in this thread are about shoes which look better with age rather than what people have just bought or what they plan to buy. Also surprising that someone actually needs to ask what they should buy given the abundance of indys, Semi Dress, Wolverines etc here.

However, in the spriti of things, why not take up almostnice's suggestion. The Red Wing oxbloods look pretty nice and would go with your workwear look. The more traditional English boots may be less so although interested to hear CTB comments on Trickers not matching up to C&J or AS.

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt at all that Tricker's boots will last a loooooong time. Their (country) boots are all just pretty much variations on the 4497s 'super boot' last though, which is a somewhat clumpy shape and doesn't work with all denim options, given that we're posting here. The only deviance from the 4497s last is the 4444, which is much of a muchness.

With the other makers mentioned, you get a variety of lasts used meaning that you've some control over the shape of the boots (even AS's Kelso manages to have some shape to it, despite being veldtschoen). C&J boots are only placed a few quid or so above Tricker's now, price-wise, and the difference in quality and elegance is clearly visible when side-by-side. AS boots can still be found for around half the price of Tricker's (and C&J)...

I wouldn't be surprised if Tricker's quality control goes a little 'Alden' on us, what with their increasing number of MTO and collaborative options available for the boutique rats. The ones I handled recently in Hip in Leeds weren't the best, with shoddy-looking crepe soles, but priced at £350 a pair.

Knowing what I know now, I can see a fault on my own much-loved MTO Eatons that wouldn't have made it past other makers' quality control departments. End result? No more MTO for me from Tricker's.

As for people posting new boots in here, or asking for advice, it's all good - keeps the thread moving when no one else is saying anything, and means that you occasionally get to see something out of the ordinary amongst all the usual suspects :)

comparing the alden 403 and 405, is the Horween Chromexcel that much better as compared to the full grain waxhide leather?

Also, am I right to say that the main difference between the 403 and 405 is the colour tone and the upper sole?

i'd prefer the lighter colour tone of the 405, but prefer the chromexcel of the 403. mmm.

Pretty disappointed with Levis for launching this "Made Here" line while simultaneously opposing minimum wage increase in Haiti.

Last I heard, Levi's had a pretty good CSR policy, the allegations were made of one of the companies working for them, and according to recent reports, they're not proven..

It's terrible that Levi's moved most of their production offshore - but they ultimately did so because they were losing out to companies like Gap (or Nike, or Adidas) that had done so decades before. Of course, the guy who did it, paid himself millions, then left the company. I hope they bring more production back.

I know it's cool to knock Levi's because they're a big company, sometimes it's appropriate, but not always.

Thanks Crash Test Brummie, my understanding is that custon trickers are £500ish so you would expect absolute top finisihing. I quite like the crepe sole boots but I dont see them ageing nicely as with the usual welts or soles either in terms of appearnce or style.

As for people posting about new shoes, I agree its nice to see new stuff but im not sure that includes inane stuff about what should I buy and buy these because I have a pair (unless that leads to something which isnt the usual suspects).

I would post my own Chippewa engineers but Im travleeing the world at the moment and have only a pair of Authentics and some flip flops until I reach colder climes*shudders*

. I hope they bring more production back.

Wait are you living in the states now? :)

As for people posting about new shoes, I agree its nice to see new stuff but im not sure that includes inane stuff about what should I buy and buy these because I have a pair (unless that leads to something which isnt the usual suspects).

fair, maybe, but as this kind of post constitutes about 75% of SuFu, especially over the last couple years, you'll have a hard time stamping this practice out.

After reading all the good reports on Crockett & Tubbs, I thought I'd bite the bullet and bought myself a nice pair of their signature white espadrilles. Although cheaper than some of the prices bandied around on here, I really can't see what all the fuss is about...

For better or worse, this thread has definitely become the catch all shoe thread for superdenim. Supershopper has a myriad of different ones and I'm not sure that is any better? I did suggest at one point starting a 'recent purchases' thread on here but that was shot down so I think this is how it's going to be, which is fine with me at any rate. This is still my most read thread.

I've always interpreted the title of this thread as an encouragement. I've been reading since near the beginning and at that time Nike Dunks and the like were more prevalent. This thread was/is saying, "wear quality adult shoes that actually improve with age (for the most part), not disposable purple and green Nikes."

New or old, if the shoe will or does look better with age, it can go here IMO ~~~~

Really? How many people do you know that can tell if a shoe will look better with age when it is new and unworn? Unless the thread title is 'shoes that MAY look better with age but there is an element of speculation because we do not know for sure;. Anyway, that has been debated before in this thread.

I noticed in the shoe thread in supershopper that ThinFinn had asked about boots a few weeks ago and appeared set on some Aldens. No partucular model just Aldens. Makes his question in this thread a bit odd.

Im just shit stirring I know. Maybe Im bored. In just interested in a bit of style every now and again and not rampant consumerism.