Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

alden1.jpg

alden4.jpg

This is officially the first moment that I have ever wanted Indys. Gorgeous!

alden4.jpg

This is officially the first moment that I have ever wanted Indys. Gorgeous!

Took the words right out of my mouth. They never really did it for me. I appreciate the quality but never longed to buy them...until now.

Great images!

Thinking of getting a pair of tan Loake Burford boots for £150 (25% discount). Anyone have an opinion on these boots?

Have you seen them in the flesh? They're decent boots, especially for £150, but it's worth checking out some of the deals on the Alfred Sargent Dumfries which I reckon are superior quality (much of the Loake production is now done in India).

Have you seen them in the flesh? They're decent boots, especially for £150, but it's worth checking out some of the deals on the Alfred Sargent Dumfries which I reckon are superior quality (much of the Loake production is now done in India).

Thanks Paul, I'm after something with a slightly more elegant/refined shape and the Loakes fit the bill more so than AS or Trickers. The only alternative I can think of is the C&J Skye, which cost around £365, ie considerably more! I may consider these down the line but wouldn't mind the Loakes right now. I feel I should progress to the C&J after serving my apprenticeship with the Loakes if that sounds logical, so I can really appreciate them. I haven't seen the Burford in the flesh but wear Loakes (Telford - monk brogues) for work and am happy with them. I got them discounted from a local shop which can also order me the Burfords.

Oh, OK, even yer non-refined agricultural types like me can understand that logic.

Thanks Paul, I'll tell Loake and they can add that to their Royal seal of approval! Really appreciate the input though.

Maynard,

Have you considered the Barker Harrisons? While corresponding with Robinson's Shoes in NI, I was told they're a better quality than the Loakes. In addition, I got them for 25% off, making them a steal at something like £160.

Maynard,

Have you considered the Barker Harrisons? While corresponding with Robinson's Shoes in NI, I was told they're a better quality than the Loakes. In addition, I got them for 25% off, making them a steal at something like £160.

Thanks velomane, I'll look into them.

The AS Dumfries are a lot more 'refined' than Tricker's in the flesh, having handled them a couple of days ago...and they're £170 with limited sizes here:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-country-collection/products/alfred-sargent-dumfries

Could be one of your last chances to pick up AS for less than £350; come September they'll be pricing in the Tricker's and C&J league...

The AS Dumfries are a lot more 'refined' than Tricker's in the flesh, having handled them a couple of days ago...and they're £170 with limited sizes here:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-country-collection/products/alfred-sargent-dumfries

Could be one of your last chances to pick up AS for less than £350; come September they'll be pricing in the Tricker's and C&J league...

Cheers Ben, unfortunately my dainty plates are only size 8.5 so I'm out of luck there :(

Meh, I tried :D

I was half tempted to get a pair of AS spectator shoes for the hell of it:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-classic-collection/products/alfred-sargent-ellington

Great looking shoes, just don't think I'd ever wear them...

I've been trying to justify a pair of those for a while, but similar to CTB I can't work them into my wardrobe unless I go all F Scott FitzGerald Jazz Age in my work attire!

I've been trying to justify a pair of those for a while, but similar to CTB I can't work them into my wardrobe unless I go all F Scott FitzGerald Jazz Age in my work attire!

Yeah, and the transition from Colonel Blimp to Mr Jazz Hands would be too much for me to handle! :D

Agree totally with fre$co's comment, by the way.

Excellent price...but I'll pass for now, will see if they're still on sale in a couple of weeks when I get back from Ireland...

Ben , where you heading to in Ireland ?

Smittybat , great choice and price... nice one !!!

Just spending a few days on a farm in County Limerick, heading in via Cork City...

Stayed a weekend in Limerick town years ago for a rugby match . Pretty sure I had a good time ! Nice part of the island .

Been a good decade since I last played rugby :D looking forward to getting out of the country for a few days at least, and a sunshine holiday doesn't appeal at the moment...

Had to pack it in myself about 6 years ago , just too many injuries that took to long to heal . Was fitness/strength coaching a local club last year , to help out a friend . It was good fun but there is such a heavy boozing culture associated and I can't keep up with it anymore :o

You will be able to give your boots a run for their money , July in Ireland (well Belfast anyway) = rain :( Rannoch for the farm , C&J for travelling ?

You will be able to give your boots a run for their money , July in Ireland (well Belfast anyway) = rain :( Rannoch for the farm , C&J for travelling ?

Depends on how light I'm travelling, but probably yeah...or just the Lotus, as they're relatively dressy, for veldtschoen boots at least...