Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

[quote

rdt10ss-04-tip.jpg

I think the translation got lost. Someone ordered toe caps, and they mounted up a bottle capper. At least with these you can impress folks by oening your beer with your toe.

great purchases/boots on the last few pages guys...makes me feel i need some white's in my life :)

here are some "evo in progress" pics of my 9162's...and yes, i do love indigo stains ;)

bild9104.jpg

If I ever plonk down $$$ on Red Wings, this is the one I'd get. Very WWII-ish. Classic round toe. Simple.

I wish they made a low-quarter, hobo-shoe version

did you check with anatomica (paris) for a solution?

Didn't buy these from Anatomica. I think I won't bother going there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll visit my cobbler tomorrow and keep you updated with what he'll do to them.

I'll post pics as soon as I get them back.

not feeling the chromexcel ed?

please explain if you don't mind..

HORWEEN (left) WHITES (right)

Horween_Chromexcel_Whites_Oil_002.jpg

Horween_Chromexcel_Whites_Oil_001.jpg

from my leather samples set from Whites, (below)

the Whites oil-tanned is very uniform grain, very stiff, super tough, and tanned black on both sides, so deep dents and gash into the leather are almost unnoticeable. it lacks a real character, and feels a little like stiff cardboard in the hand.

Horween_Chromexcel_Whites_Oil_004.jpg

the Horween Chromexcel Black, (below)

just looks really nice kinda waxy grainless, oil rich and sexy to the eye, it only appears tanned black on the front side while the reverse side is brown

it is very soft and pliable in the hand,

But it gets marked up so easy, my fingernails can run marks into it, and get beat up super fast? i am not sure if this is really great for a boot that i want to last 10 years down the road???

Horween_Chromexcel_Whites_Oil_003.jpg

not feeling the chromexcel ed?

please explain if you don't mind..

HORWEEN (left) WHITES (right)

from my leather samples set from Whites, (below)

the Whites oil-tanned is very uniform grain, very stiff, super tough, and tanned black on both sides, so deep dents and gash into the leather are almost unnoticeable. it lacks a real character, and feels a little like stiff cardboard in the hand.

Horween_Chromexcel_Whites_Oil_004.jpg

the Horween Chromexcel Black, (below)

just looks really nice kinda waxy grainless, oil rich and sexy to the eye, it only appears tanned black on the front side while the reverse side is brown

it is very soft and pliable in the hand,

But it gets marked up so easy, my fingernails can run marks into it, and get beat up super fast? i am not sure if this is really great for a boot that i want to last 10 years down the road???

Horween_Chromexcel_Whites_Oil_003.jpg

I like the look of the chromexel from those pictures. Although supple I think it is still pretty tough. Some people here have had their original redwing GTs made with chromexel for about 4 odd years now and they certainly are not worn out.

Have to say I love the Horween - it looks like real leather.

Denimjunky thought the William Lennon leather is horween - it's certainly very natural looking, looks like an aniline tan, the red finish does kind of rub off, at which point you simply polish and it gives a much more 3-D effect.

The chromexcel looks much less translucent to me, and I doubt it will age in the same way. I know in the UK, chrome tanning is associated with cheaper shoes, although of course that's a mass simplification. I suspect the chromexcel will be more impermeable to water. (My lennons and trickers don't leak, but they do absorb water and need drying out etc).

You can bet either one will perform brilliantly, so ultimately it's down to which one you, personally, prefer the look of!

Yes, according to Dan at WL the leather for the derby boot (standard color) comes from the horween tannery. Its not chrome excel, though. Its Latigo.

Ive ordered a pair of hill boots in the same color as yours, Paul (its called italian). And natural edge. Gonna bee so sick!

Btw, the black chrome excel FTW!

my chromexecel lonewolf boots engineers wore our way faster than i thought.. stop chromexcel man believe me stick with the oil tanned or dry tanned from white and it will last you a lifetime. chromexcel are nice but from my experience not so good at all the fad is just making you look into it right?

I like the look of the chromexel from those pictures. Although supple I think it is still pretty tough. Some people here have had their original redwing GTs made with chromexel for about 4 odd years now and they certainly are not worn out.

Thanks Fre$co,

i am def looking to invest in a leather that is tough, and can go for a few years.

Have to say I love the Horween - it looks like real leather.

Denimjunky thought the William Lennon leather is horween - it's certainly very natural looking, looks like an aniline tan, the red finish does kind of rub off, at which point you simply polish and it gives a much more 3-D effect.

The chromexcel looks much less translucent to me, and I doubt it will age in the same way. I know in the UK, chrome tanning is associated with cheaper shoes, although of course that's a mass simplification. I suspect the chromexcel will be more impermeable to water. (My lennons and trickers don't leak, but they do absorb water and need drying out etc).

You can bet either one will perform brilliantly, so ultimately it's down to which one you, personally, prefer the look of!

Thanks Paul,

i hear you, the Chromexcel really looks good to my eye as well, allot more character then the Oil tanned, and for a black tanned boot, I would hate for my black boot to be dull next to my browns..

Yes, according to Dan at WL the leather for the derby boot (standard color) comes from the horween tannery. Its not chrome excel, though. Its Latigo.

Ive ordered a pair of hill boots in the same color as yours, Paul (its called italian). And natural edge. Gonna bee so sick!

Btw, the black chrome excel FTW!

Thanks denimjunky,

i believe you have possibly both the oil-tan and the Black Chromexcel Whites? could we get a recent shot of your Chromexcel when you have a moment?

sorry what is FTW? spell it out please?

my chromexecel lonewolf boots engineers wore our way faster than i thought.. stop chromexcel man believe me stick with the oil tanned or dry tanned from white and it will last you a lifetime. chromexcel are nice but from my experience not so good at all the fad is just making you look into it right?

Thanks Ed,

you bring me back to my indecision again..

thank you for sharing your real life comparisons from the Lonewolf's.

when you say "worn out" what do you mean?

scuff-up and crinkle in the leather

or

start to wear out as in holes?

can you post some photos of those Worn-down Lonewolfs with us.

damn.. looks like another call to Whites to ask those guys what they think...

Thanks all for your time and comments, always much appreciated.

thanks DJ,

just spoke with Whites..

and the general consensus from sales to the work floor, is that their

Oil-tan and Chromexcel leathers are very closely matched in terms of durability and are stronger then their "dress" and french calf series of leathers.

I would challenge Ed to display one pair of boots he has that he has worn through the leather. I don't think moths eat leather do they?