Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

apologies for the n00b question, but i have a pair of red wings 875 that have gotten noticable darker due to the application of some sno seal and obenaufs LP, but i would like them to be back in it's original colors. would saddle soap do the trick? if not, what would? thanks

I don't think that saddle soap will lighten them any..I'd just wear them lots, the oil and sno seal will wear away and as the leather dries a bit they might come back to something close to the original color.

I stopped by the Boot Barn or something like that, and they carry Smoke Jumpers. All they had was a 10 D not a C but sure enough it fit pretty well...

They said they can order the SD for the same price as from White's. I might go local... but Bakers is still cheaper.

So it looks like go a full size smaller in Whites, that arch ease is quite archy....

If there's anyone who experienced both white's swing last and original semi-dress could you tell me which one is more comfortable?

I'm really satisfied with my first white's swing last semi-dress.

so, looking for the second one.

but cannot make decision. try new one original SD or same model Swing just chaged leather color.

give me some advises.

I think the comfort comes down to which fits your foot better really. I find the Swing last doesn't cause crowding of my toes as much as the standard, but the standard looks better to my eye and is still pretty comfy. My Swing last is size 11 though, my standard 11.5 for the reinforced toe version (I have some 11 standard last boots but they are both non-reinforced toes which provide some fitting leeway as the toe box is soft). I often wonder if I could comfortably fit in a size 11 standard last, but I have my doubts because my right foot big toes touches the end of the boot on my non-reinforced pairs. Length is more then ample on the Swing last though.

So yeah, that probably didn't really help you at all.

I agree with slide here...

The standard last is more better looking. Ive got three pairs with standard and one swing last. Between the three standard lasts (two E and 1 EE) there is much more difference in width than I would have expected.

1. Standard semi dress, standard last. -> not so wide toe box. EE

2. Calf leather toe capped, standard last -> not so wide toe box. E

3. Chrome excel toe capped, standard last -> really wide toe box. E

4. Water buffalo, swing last. -> quite wide toe box. D.

I cant get the hang of this...

thanks to slide,denimjunky

I agree with that. original SD looks more sharp.

how about white's famous 'Arch ease'?

I heard that Swing last SD doesn't apply arch ease.

do you think that 'arch ease' give more comfotable long time wearing?

Here are a few pics of some boots I picked up a few years ago. They are one of Timberland's seasonal limited editions, before the TBC name took over. Made of leather and shearling from Horween. The magnetic snaps on the front actually work well and hold fast. These are in need of some attention as can be seen. Hoping to have the heels re-done stat.

010Small-3.jpg

017Small-2.jpg

thanks to slide,denimjunky

I agree with that. original SD looks more sharp.

how about white's famous 'Arch ease'?

I heard that Swing last SD doesn't apply arch ease.

do you think that 'arch ease' give more comfotable long time wearing?

The arch ease is not dependent on the last. It depends on the heel.

The higher the heel, more arch ease.

And yes it works well against fatigue.

The arch ease is not dependent on the last. It depends on the heel.

The higher the heel, more arch ease.

And yes it works well against fatigue.

From my conversation with Whites,

This statement is not correct.

It has more to do with the shaping of the leather shank design that props your arch and instep into their desired position which they claim offers less fatigue (which I can say I am starting to agree with).

The SJ last has the most arch ease support

Followed by both the SD and Swing lasts

While the northwest last offers no arch ease

Heel high would only change the degree ones foot sits in the boot and is more a choice based on stride.

I personall have a long stride so a 1/4 less is much more comfortable.

The SJ last has the most arch ease support

Followed by both the SD and Swing lasts

While the northwest last offers no arch ease

Funnliy this list above is just ordered by heel height.

From white's site:

To appreciate this natural phenomenon, take a moment to sit down. Now cross your legs and relax. Notice the angle formed by your leg and foot. As customarily believed, it is not a right angle. Instead, your relaxed foot points slightly downward. In fact you can see your foot's relaxed angle detailed in our Arch EaseTM illustration. Observe the high heel and arch supporting the foot in its natural resting position. This critical heel placement affords generous arch support when positioned well under the weight-bearing bones of the leg. Setting the heel ahead also shortens the arch, adding dramatic strength.

I dunno, but sure seems to have more to do with the heel than anything else.

whites-boot-color-.jpg

agreed with the observation Denimjunky.. no disrespect..

and just to clarify myself ..

yup,I have read the same bit off Whites sites... and in my opinion Arch ease is a feature that i still don't think can pleasantly be described until you actually try a pair on, and see if they work for you or not.

also have had my japanese wife endlessly translate many of the geeky articles in free and easy, lighting and other boot mags~ about the comparisons and features, ect..

And after trying on a few different pairs of Whites in Japan and here in NY at Grahame Fowler, (before purchasing my first pair)

I still had question and doubts about them...

So i called Whites a few times and made them crazy with endless questions about their features and modifications to them..

so i'm just posting answers about Whites based of my understanding on the conversation i have had with them concerning the features.

the advice i would share,

if it really is a concern to the consumer, and you trust the vendor, go right to the source with the question.

if that consumer relies more on real life personal opinions, then this forum is one of the best for boots..

Maybe it is best to say in the case of Arch Ease, it's the combination of the last and heel and personal foot type.

Spent some time in Leeds today, and had a look at the crepe-soled Tricker's in Hip as I was passing by:

l97081.jpg

http://www.hipleeds.com/trickers+for+hip

Definitely not a fan of the combination, although I like the 'C' Shade Gorse in the flesh, more than I thought I would.

I also noticed that Craggs on the Headrow had some Tricker's in the window marked down by 10%, although it's actually nearer to 20% off based on the most recent prices - they only had the Country Collection shoes visible (I didn't go in), although they have a fuller selection online but without a mark-down:

http://www.craggsshoesonline.com/shop/products/category/trickers

good to hear from you Morse..

actually i get all my advice from the boot expert Justin,:P

she helps me choose the right heel hight for getting "cute girls" HA~

enjoy guys... (10char)

click the link to learn and enjoy..

Alright I'm not condoning these boots as ones to wear, but thought you guys might like to see these. They're as far as I can tell they're "Super Hero" boots . I picked these up a movie wardrobe resale shop. They have a vintage heel on them, all felt, looks like a pleather back. They're marked that they came from the collection of Joseph A. Porro, a hollywood costume designer, but I don't know if they're from one of his films. They're actually about a size 10-11ish.

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

These are some pretty nice boots.

whitssd81.jpg