Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

If I had the chance to do it again, I think I'd go through White's. Baker's doesn't have a return policy on custom White's at all...even though I was told on the phone that they "guarantee fit, and would take them back"

It never really came down to me wanting to return mine (when I sent in my foot tracings, white's still suggested a 10.5 C - which gave me some extra confidence) but if it did come down to trying to exchange for a larger size, I think you might ultimately be screwed.

White's also requires a deposit, which was discouraging to me along with the extra money I would have spent.

That is the one concern I have with them living in Los Angeles.

I have the Ultimate Indy's lined and feel they get a little hot in the summer time, but can live with it.

i have lined chromexcel Indys as well, and have worn them in nyc winter and hotter climates as well.. they are very comfortable for me in both clients to be honest..

if you say your feet get hot in those in LA,

then yeah, maybe better to go unlined then.. but i do have to agree with Fre$co i prefer the comfort of lined as well.

That is the one concern I have with them living in Los Angeles.

I have the Ultimate Indy's lined and feel they get a little hot in the summer time, but can live with it.

My unlined GTs definitely breathe better (even coated in obenaufs) than my lined cordovan aldens. It probably has a bit to do with the shell just being denser, but if they offered a halflined version I'd think it would do well. I enjoy the comfort of the lining around my ankle but also like having my toes breathe...

GT are from Redwing.

So who here has the SD lined? I'm debating on getting mine lined.

Pros/cons?

I'm so close to ordering these now....

As someone who lived in LA with lined SDs, I'd say go without it (unless you get French Calf or something).

I'm leaning towards unlined. I'm going with SD in dress brown, all antique eyelets, natural edge, single leather with split comp sole (705)

Fairly standard set up.

And I called and White's don't do a half lined version.

What would you want to be half-lined? The unlined boots still have leather lining up in the toe box area, at least if you get a celastic toe cap it does as the toe reinforcements fits in-between the lining and the outer leather. I have a pair of cxl SD that are unlined like this.

Now my roughout boots w/o toe reinforcement have no sort of lining anywhere.

I also have a pair of SD that are lined. I like the lining and don't find it any warmer then my unlined pair really. It gives the boots a more finished feel and for a nicer or dressier boot it is definitely my preference. For a more utilitarian or workboot like feel unlined might be the way to go.

Can some guys post pics of lined/unlined SD and celastic toe and non celastic toe? I know... we'd have to look at pics of great boots, but I think we can live with that.

whitesj.jpg

Doesn't really show much though, not something you can see from the outside really.

From L-R:

SD with leather lining and celastic toe reinforcement

SD w/o lining and with celastic toe reinforcement (toe box area is lined)

FR w/o lining and no toe reinforcement (no lining in toe box)

SJ same as above FR

Can't really tell any of that from the pic though and I don't have any way of getting pics of the inside toe box area to show the lining on the unlined boot....but it's there.

thanks slide.. The look perfect.. I'm so stoked for a pair of whites

do you prefer the toe reinforcement or the non reinforcement?

Never had double so not sure about that. Single feels like what you'd expect in work boots; very firm but certainly having anlittle flex.

As far as celastici or nothing...I prefer the reinforced toe though I will say the soft toe is super comfy. I got both the FR and SJ from Whites eBay store for about $150 each...awesome boots at that price but if I were ordering them at full price myself I'd probably go with the single celastic toe reinforcement. I'm happy to have both though really and the SJs have served me well all winter.

thanks slide.. The look perfect.. I'm so stoked for a pair of whites

do you prefer the toe reinforcement or the non reinforcement?

if you're getting a semi-dress, you don't have a choice. If you dont want a celastic toe you could go the smoke jumper route and get the bounty hunter (offered here : http://www.bakershoe.com/shop-by-brand.cfm/brand/whites-boots/product/2011-custom-whites-smoke-jumper-lace-to-toe/ : drop down last option for bounty hunter ) then you can just specify the shorter height. its a little more expensive then the SD though.

edit: also, go unlined. you dont need that extra leather business.

Coming quite late in to the discussion regarding lined or unlined, it all depends on the leather your getting.

When getting the thinner qualities, like water buffalo or calf, they actually state that its a must. My water buffalo SDs were ordered without lining but they came lined sure as hell. (No extra charge). The reason fot this is probably that it would be just too flimsy without it and with lining they become just a bit more sturdy.

Now, if youre ordering

the semi dress leather, which is full grain and really thick, I dont see any point in lining them, really.

For the toe, I didnt know you could get SDs without celastic toes.

I'm leaning towards unlined. I'm going with SD in dress brown, all antique eyelets, natural edge, single leather with split comp sole (705)

Fairly standard set up.

And I called and White's don't do a half lined version.

That is exactly my order too except I an going with lined.

All my other boots are lined, I may be biased but any unlined boots I've had, have been uncomfortable compared to lined ones, and I ended up selling.... But I think the best answer is from slide above.

What makes you think it would be any different to say my Alden Roy boots with full grain chromexcel leather and a leather lining? Is the SD dress leather or White's chromexcel thicker than Alden's?

I'm selling them because I think if I size up a half, they will be more comfortable and I might actually wear them regularly instead of always choosing something else.

I'll do you a deal if you are interested.

What makes you think it would be any different to say my Alden Roy boots with full grain chromexcel leather and a leather lining?

Nothing.

Its just my subjective opinion that it might be too thick.

Both my semi dress SDs and my chrome excel SDs are already as thick as I want them, is all.

apologies for the n00b question, but i have a pair of red wings 875 that have gotten noticable darker due to the application of some sno seal and obenaufs LP, but i would like them to be back in it's original colors. would saddle soap do the trick? if not, what would? thanks