Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

love the black w/ natural sole edge, looks awesome. Also a big fan of all eyelets as well. Not as much a fan of the block heel myself, though I do have a pair set up that way, but it's a nice option if you already have the standard tapered heel.

Really liking the leather laces as well. My SD boots never came with leather laces but I have a pair from my Smokejumpers that I'm not using and have been thinking about putting on one of my pairs of SD...this pic has convinced me it's a good idea.

Thinfinn, Those are some kick ass roughouts. Are you going to treat them with anything to make them waterproof?

thx for the love mb...

they arrived today, so here are some pics :cool:

bild587.jpg

bild588.jpg

bild589.jpg

bild590.jpg

bild595.jpg

bild597.jpg

bild598.jpg

bild599.jpg

maybe Stephen should open his eyes more ???

clue-stain

bild602.jpg

hopefully you've enjoyed the pics...fitpics in the waywt-thread!

found these well worn work boots in a thrift shop last weekend. perfect fit! gonna try to bring them back to life with some obenaufs and a coat of polish. may even get em resoled if i really take a liking to them. there are no legible manufacturer markings, but if anyone has any tips on how to identify or date these, i'd really appreciate it.

iphone pics:

5411464390_077007611d_z.jpg

5410851139_06af2e6a1a_z.jpg

5411464710_0bc27cccde_z.jpg

5410851461_38c5f28b12_z.jpg

5410851843_4041e81b96_z.jpg

soles say:

NON MARKING

OIL RESISTANT

LONG WEARING

NITRENE

...dunno if that helps id/date the manufacture. if they look good after the rehab, i'll try to take some better shots.

Has anyone been successful in ordering extra SD laces from White's? I have yet to come across laces that look like that and are durable enough for hooks.

The last time I had mine resoled, I asked them to sell me some spare laces. Instead, they just threw some extras in. I've also seen surplus army laces from WWII that seem like they'd suit the semi-dress.

Thanks rayw44 - it's good to know that Ed may have held up his end of the bargain. No offense, Ed - I would totally understand if you sold it to someone else...guy goes to war saying he wants to buy your boots. Hell, who knows if he'll even come back from the war : )

Has there been any talk about Road Champs being on back order? I'm wondering if I can just take a drive up to L.A., walk into the store and walk out with a box of Road Champs.

From what I heard, theres a big wait list for size 9.5. I think they have some 9's in stock. I tired it on and I wasn't that impressed with the quality of the leather.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pictures, but am I the only one that thinks the toe stitching looks a little ragged on those Russells?

I thought the same thing. Also on the pair that morse posted too. I think I'd be upset if that's how they showed up looking.

^ This. I've been tempted by Russells a few times but everytime I see a pair close up it seems the stitching is always off and the edges of the cut leather is very rough. I know they are 'handmade' but the quality of the finishing details always seems a little slap dash.

Yes, Russell doesn't do perfect stitching or exactly finished edges on their leather...they are a little more "folksy" then that. While they lack the extra polish, the overall quality is very high and I love the way they make their product...it's as old school as it gets. I'd have more but the moccasin construction doesn't lend itself a supportive shoe really, I tend more towards the White's style with their "arch ease" system but if I could get along as well with a flat footbed Russell would be my choice.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pictures, but am I the only one that thinks the toe stitching looks a little ragged on those Russells?

They are stitched by hand, which is rare these days, and I think makes it impossible to have a completely uniform stitch. I don't see this as an indication of poor quality, it just adds a more organic, man made quality to the shoe imo. My mocs are FAR from low quality.

I just found these at a local surplus store. I went in to get some long underwear and wandered into the basement where all of the old crap is. These were pretty battered, but the leather wasn't cracked or anything. I cleaned them up a bit with Pecards and will probably give them some more TLC.

They're a Swiss brand called Henke, who as far as I can tell were famous for making the first ski boots that clasped as opposed to laced. I don't think the company is still around, and they're stamped 1963 inside. I'm not a fan of the weird toebox, but I need something with a more vibram like sole since my only other boots are a pair of Alden 405s and a pair of Frye Engineers and both suck in the foot of snow I have to contend with at the moment. These things are ridiculously heavy. I can't see myself walking far in them. Not bad for $20.

Before pics:

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

What morse said. Real moccs have to be hand stitched, by definition. Also Russell Mocc's shoes use heavier leathers and often have more layers than, for instance, dress moccs by the likes of Alden, which makes a direct comparison difficult . Russell's are designed for serious outdoor pursuits such as hunting rather than casual Fridays at the office. They are, and should look, utilitarian.

I've never heard anyone who owns a pair complain about their quality....they wear like iron.

^ mcflip - from the grooves on the heel & the toe shape, they might be an old pair of telemark boots. Mine are very similar, with a larger clamp area on the front.

Denimjunky, great pair!

TallyHo - nice find! Curious to see how they'll look with some TLC!

denimjunky - those are effin sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...+rep.

Thinfinn, Those are some kick ass roughouts. Are you going to treat them with anything to make them waterproof?

Thx a lot mate. Well i don't want them to darken up so i'll just hit them with some "impregnating spary" and they should be good to go!

After one day of wear, untreated, they are already some indigo stains on'em...:cool:

From what I heard, theres a big wait list for size 9.5. I think they have some 9's in stock. I tired it on and I wasn't that impressed with the quality of the leather.

Fortunately for me, I wear a size 8.You’re not the first person to comment on the leather quality – guess I’ll find out shortly.Thanks for the info!