Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

on the subject of "cruelty" and cordovan (horsehide), it might actually be a more humane choice of leather. this is from the aeroleather website (i assume the US source is horween, same as alden uses):

"Horsehide has many unique properties, it is immensely strong and durable even in the extreme conditions and, unlike other hides, horsehide is naturally waterproof.

The Front Quarter Chrome Tanned Horsehide used in the construction of Aero leather jackets was favoured by manufacturers during pre-war years after the introduction, in the 1950's, of a law prohibiting horses being slaughtered for leather, hides became a scarce commodity and therefore expensive, resulting in tanneries phasing out horsehide production in favour of the more readily available hides such as steer.

US Government restrictions dictate that the slaughter of equine for hides was not permitted and as such the sourcing of hides must be from animals that have died from natural causes. This makes horsehide very scarce and as a consequence rare, which makes for an expensive raw material.

After expensive research, Aero managed to source the only tannery based in the States still capable of producing this unique hide to the original specifications, although today quality hides suitable for this type of tanning are still very scarce and so availability is very limited due to the fact that all our chrome tanned leather is sourced from "natural death" horses with no slaughter involved."

Didn't read through the thread so i'm probably going to repeat what everyone already said, but I think quality leather shoes look much better with age if properly taken care of.

I also think while leather shoes look better the more beat up and worn out they are. I got a pair of white leather Diesal shoes, and I think they look better now than when they were new a couple months ago.

ethical objections?

No, though that's an interesting tidbitr wooster posted. I just generally prefer leather/calfskin. I've just never seen a pair of new cordovan shoes that I would've preferred over a similar calfskin model. I've also never paid $500 for shoes... not that I won't.

Also, I think horsehide ≠ cordovan, though cordovan is from a horse. I can't say definitively, but I think cordovan is more membraneous than standard horsehide. I've seen some awesome horsehide leather jackets, but that leather was not the same as you see in shell cordovan shoes.

miznation, I came out of lurking and registered just to say that those boots have been my holy grail of footwear for over a year and a half. They are f-ing beautiful, thanks for the pictures. I love the indy boots, but the captoe high lace boot is truly a thing of beauty, even better in #8 shell. Incredible.

No, though that's an interesting tidbitr wooster posted. I just generally prefer leather/calfskin. I've just never seen a pair of new cordovan shoes that I would've preferred over a similar calfskin model. I've also never paid $500 for shoes... not that I won't.

Also, I think horsehide ≠ cordovan, though cordovan is from a horse. I can't say definitively, but I think cordovan is more membraneous than standard horsehide. I've seen some awesome horsehide leather jackets, but that leather was not the same as you see in shell cordovan shoes.

yes, you're right, they're different. here's another factoid, this time from the ben silver website:

"Genuine shell cordovan is rare. Most leathers come from cows, but cordovan comes from horses (which are not, by the way, raised for this purpose). The “shellâ€, and let me put this as delicately as possible, is the subcutaneous layer that covers the equine posterior. Each horse provides two shells, which is just enough for a pair of shoes. A single shell isn’t long enough to form a seamless belt, so genuine shell cordovan belts will always be pieced. The most non-porous leather known, shell cordovan is distinguished by its lustrous waxy finish, superior durability, and suppleness that readily conforms to the shape of the wearer’s foot.

Cordovan is a corruption of Cordoba, the city in southern Spain where the technique of tanning this leather originated. Even today high volume production and fancy technology are powerless in its manufacture. Old school handwork is what gets the job done. The shells are put through a natural, vegetable tanning process, then hand-stained, glazed, and finished over a six-month period that demands the measured pace of craftsmanship and patience.

It’s those things that account for the expensiveness of true shell cordovan leather. Added to which there’s only one tannery which still produces cordovan leather, Horween Leathers in Chicago. Coincidentally, Horween’s other claim to fame is providing the leather for NFL footballs and professional baseball gloves. Genuine shell cordovan is a leather with character. It’s known for taking on a rich patina that improves with wear and polishing. And tough as, well, a horse’s butt. "

hey miz,

good choice,they really do look great, and could be the last shoes you ever (need) to buy. that's the beauty of it, these ridiculously expensive jeans and shoes -- you buy one and that's that, yur set, you wear the shit out of them and they just keep getting better. it just makes sense, saves time, you never really have to think about much, just what shirt to wear.

lol! funny thing is, i am really, honestly rationalizing this that way. i'm thinking a pair in cordovan and a pair in black and i'm set for life.

I think that every time i buy something, but then some dude has to come on this website and post some other nice piece of leather or denim, and damn I am out shopping again. I wish I wasn't such a damn consumer whore. Can't I just wear my Indy's and Samurais and never have to consume again?!!!!!!!

Probably not. Now I feel I need those cordovan boots after reading about the painstaking process of producing it.

familyman, welcome to the family.

Thanks for the welcome. In truth I'm not much of a cutting edge streetwear guy. I'm just a 30 year old stay at home dad for three very young kids. I don't believe that I have to look like crap in jeans an a tee or khakis and a polo like every other 30 year old dad who has let himself go that I see around me. I'm a pretty simple dresser but I find a lot of information and inspiration about fit and quality here. This place is great.

Very well made boots are becoming a bit of a thing for me. I have a pair of Russells that I hade made for me in the spring and I love them. A pair of Aldens is on the list for what to get next. As soon as I don't have babies spitting semi digested food on me I'll start into the denim. Thank you for all the great information on the site.

Thanks for the welcome. In truth I'm not much of a cutting edge streetwear guy. I'm just a 30 year old stay at home dad for three very young kids. I don't believe that I have to look like crap in jeans an a tee or khakis and a polo like every other 30 year old dad who has let himself go that I see around me. I'm a pretty simple dresser but I find a lot of information and inspiration about fit and quality here. This place is great.

Very well made boots are becoming a bit of a thing for me. I have a pair of Russells that I hade made for me in the spring and I love them. A pair of Aldens is on the list for what to get next. As soon as I don't have babies spitting semi digested food on me I'll start into the denim. Thank you for all the great information on the site.

I have all that to look forward to. I got a little booger on the way in December. I am hoping to have my RRDS and Jean Shop jeans ready for their first wash, by then. My RRDS are already ready, but I will put it off til then.

Then it is on to my SAMURAIS!!!!!!

Guest Fade to Black

any type of white sneakers look better with age, i'm talkin low-tech sneakers...chucks, german army sneakers...some high end sneakers look good when worn-in, such as Dior Hommes, i think in a recent issue of Nylon I saw a dirtied pair of white LV low-tops that were scuffed and they looked cool. I think there's something really cool about wearing expensive clothes and treating them just like old gym clothes, there's more character that way. I can't stand when people baby their clothes too much just because they paid $300 for those jeans, t-shirt or whatever...

Dude, could you talk to my wife? I want to be a 30-yr old stay at home dad for one young kid.

yes, i got the shoe trees, man.... very nice.

btw, can you post pics of your shell cordovans???

it's sunny and the light brings out incredible colors in the leather. the pics i posted before don't do the shoes justice at all. i think i might take some daylight pics.