Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I wonder where you got that idea from. Really.

sarcasm aside, it's a nice leather. NEG AWAY!

Just found pictures of smokejumper made in shark leather (brown and black).

Anyone got some info about shark leather? Is it durable?

I kinda like the looks (but maybe it will go better combined with some dress leather or calf), but never tried it.

Shark is tough, durable leather. It typically has that ridged, sort of wrinkly look, but I've seen it looking smoother than the SJs in your pic. To the touch, it's not rough or abrasive, it just feels textured. It's reasonably soft and thick, so it doesn't take a lot of effort to break in and it doesn't need backing from another layer of leather, like water buffalo. It's fairly elastic, too. It will stretch more than most other leathers, but only in one direction, which is why pieces are always aligned in a specific way on a pair of boots (notice how the grain on the vamps and heel cup is horizontal and on the uppers it's vertical).

Personally, I like shark. It's one of my favorite leathers. Oh, and wgmds is right- it gets used a lot in cowboy boots.

anyone know about a nice semi dress (needs to be black) that looks like white's, but does not have such a large heel on it? i'm 6 feet tall, i dont need the extra height. looking in the same price range. THANKS FRIENDS.

anyone know about a nice semi dress (needs to be black) that looks like white's, but does not have such a large heel on it? i'm 6 feet tall, i dont need the extra height. looking in the same price range. THANKS FRIENDS.

Just order a pair with single midsole and single leather sole.

i think the heel itself is the problem. http://www.bakershoe.com/attribute-details.cfm/brand/whites-boots/ shows that all of their heels are pretty tall, is that just because of the arch ease system?

wgmds- pretty sure the Arch Ease requires a higher heel. Anything lower than about 1.25 inches probably won't work. You can't get the foot alignment without it. Don't worry about the height, you'll get used to it. I'm 6' also and I routinely wear boots with 1.5 to 1.75 inch heels. Nobody really notices, and once you get used to the feel, neither do you.

And since a couple of you asked, here are a couple of wear pics of the William Lennon boots. I'll try to get some better shots later this week when I get home and have better light and more space. Color is most accurate in the last 2 shots.

012-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

Oh yeah- thanks for the positive comments and rep!:)

My black Red Wing GT's just arrived, the length is good but the width is slightly tight. Does anyone have experience of breaking GT's in? Do they give a little? How long does the break in perion usually take? Thanks in advance.

My black Red Wing GT's just arrived, the length is good but the width is slightly tight. Does anyone have experience of breaking GT's in? Do they give a little? How long does the break in perion usually take? Thanks in advance.

Well the rw gt's are like every other leather boot imo.

Leather will always soften up and in your case they'll get a bit wider of course!

I had the Red Wing 9014 and after a couple of days/weeks they were good to go...

So just start wearing yours and everything should be fine in a few weeks...

asked this before but no reply so another try

- any comparison pictures floating around of Whites distressed roughout and brown roughout?

- does White's source their chrome excel leather from Horween?

need to buy some boots before euro goes down the drain (again)

- any comparison pictures floating around of Whites distressed roughout and brown roughout?

chrome excel is a horween leather. its made using a secret proprietary formula.

dont know about the rest.

HoustonChris, that's the combo I had imagined would be the tops. Good to know they'll do it. Of course, now that it's mentioned, at certain angles, if you think that way, they do sort of look a little... um. Ah, who cares, just don't wear them to church.

I am waiting on a pair of the navy joints. Should be shipping out soon, within the week hopefully. When I get them I'll let you know!

The man that I corresponded with, 'George', was extremely helpful.

So who owns a pair of OSB Trail Oxfords - and what are your thoughts ?

vibram-brown_1.jpg

I think if you look through the example boots, you'll find everything you need here:

http://www.vintageblue.co.jp/list.php?br=wb

For RW boots being tight, I'd forget them if I were you, I've had two different pairs I thought I could get along with and both ended up being sold/given away.

Let us know what you think once you get them, that would be cool

I have the navy OSB vibram trail oxfords, and I'm really pleased with them. The construction on them matches (if not surpasses in some cases) that of the Quoddys I've owned, and the form-fitting inner has gotten super comfortable within the short time I've worn them. The people at OSB seem to really be on top of their shit.