Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hi guys. I picked up a pair of Roughouts from EpicMilitaria in the UK. I was surprised when I got them that the overall quality of construction was way better than At The Front. The one thing that I noticed was that the vamp leather and the upper leather had a slightly different look. The vamp leather almost had a pattern to it that when looking closely at it appears almost like canvas. Has anyone seen this before? I have never seen rough leather with a pattern.

imagebep.jpg

1fimagebepj

1fimagebepj

desktop6.jpg

Too bad desert boots aren't waterproof. It's starting to rain again so I'm looking at Danner Mountain Light IIs, does anybody have them?

I had them. I sold them after wearing them for about a year because they didn't truly fit me.

BUT- I fuckin loved having Gore-tex boots in the rain! NO water gets in - You can literally stand in water up to your ankles and you won't get your socks wet.

I've got the JP version. I love em, but I use them for hiking, not for casual boots...

Could be everyday boots though. Very comfortable!

Agreed, I have the regular US ones and I've gone hiking in them a couple times. So comfortable even without an insole. You should get them if you like the look of it for an everyday boot.

wow, you guys had the leather part of the soles from the Roys already replaced? how much did they charge for just replacing that part?

I haven't had mine done yet, but it will need it fairly soon. It is a bit disappointingly short lived. I won't send it to Alden for that to be done though.

I thought I might ask trickers if they will only resole their own shoes.

Poor shoes. indiana jones treated his better than i do. more of my same aldens. (yes, i know i'm boring).

DSC_1318.jpg

DSC_1319.jpg

DSC_1320.jpg

DSC_1321.jpg

Still not sure there is anything better then a well worn pair of Indys. I had a nicely worn in pair but it had a few issues after about a year of ownership. Alden graciously replaced them for me with a brand new pair that are sitting on my shelf waiting to be broken in.

I didn't like the Indies I had - the color is meh, one tongue leaned to the side (irrelevant in use, but for the $325 I paid...) and the speed hooks were too easily bent.

Sorely tempted to plunk down the cash to preorder Leffot's 'natural chromexcel' Indy, though.

Yesterday I visited MOTO's shop in Tokyo, snapped a few pics and bought new boots. Here are some photos of new shoes, worn-in shoes and a leather painting. His rough-outs are soft as butter and really quite beautiful; the rough-out monkey boots were gorgeous (maybe my next pair?).

I'll post a couple photos of my new boots in a little while.

Boots:

5170556164_9512574065.jpg

Rough-out Mocs

5169959457_414daa2641.jpg

Red Desert Boots - Unfortunately, my iPhone didn't do well with the lighting right above these boots, but MOTO is starting to sell some red shoes and they look great in person.

5169958689_1081cda6db.jpg

Worn-in Shoes:

5169960401_437b7ac1e7.jpg

5169948005_7f0511f6c0.jpg

5169944637_6deb111e0a.jpg

Leather Painting and some Lady's Shoes

5170558028_ec40cd0d83.jpg