Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I wish I had your eloquence with words dkatz

Man, great minds think alike :)

Dkatz, I submitted an almost identical design to your boot, except in snuff suede. You're the champ in luscious descriptives though! ;)

Hah thanks for the compliments guys.

SLAB - I agree that boot A sounds pretty bad ass!

And riff- that's pretty funny! I'm totally smitten with the natural Chromexcel though (even though I've obviously never seen it in person).

A bit late to this one, but the form reminds me of the Wings & Horns Service boots:

PICT8896.jpg

"After the construction of each of these boots, they are tied in a ball and soaked in water so that they form a very unique shape and appearance. When it is on your foot, though, the extreme curved shape begins to straighten out and they will sit just as your foot needs them to."

If you handed me a pair of boots that looked like that, I'd tell you to throw them in the trash. I just don't get it...

So which is yours???

And your wish is my command. I got a bit wordy and dorky, though, so enjoy

Nice design, dkatz. I like the story behind your design, and it certainly sounds functional for how you intend to use them.

I'm curious about the brass eyelets, as they seem to be a popular choice among the submitted designs. I like the combination with the natural chromexcel. Not sure about how it would look with brown chromexcel or the brown alpine grain calf though....

The story behind my design is that I want a boot for nights on the town when I want to look sharp without having to worry about scuffing up my boots; rather, I wanted something which would show the character of nights out at the bar and late night adventures.

Hardly as admirable a cause as dkatz's. I almost feel ashamed now that my design was chosen:o

I did a little searching and came up with a ton of links for those of you interested in these repro old school USMC roughouts. Turns out tons of these old army surplus kind of places stock their own version for very reasonable prices (compared to the usual alden kind of price people are used to on sufu)

Very nice looking stuff for around ~$110.

us_boots_roughout_main.jpg

^ http://www.atthefront.com/us/footwear/roughoutshoes.html $110!!

USMCBoondockers.jpg

http://www.lostbattalions.com/us/USMC/USMCBoondockers.html

$105

mini are that the original laces in the indy's?

I need to change the laces in my ultimate indies, I just can't get used to them...

Nice design, dkatz. I like the story behind your design, and it certainly sounds functional for how you intend to use them.

I'm curious about the brass eyelets, as they seem to be a popular choice among the submitted designs. I like the combination with the natural chromexcel. Not sure about how it would look with brown chromexcel or the brown alpine grain calf though....

The story behind my design is that I want a boot for nights on the town when I want to look sharp without having to worry about scuffing up my boots; rather, I wanted something which would show the character of nights out at the bar and late night adventures.

Hardly as admirable a cause as dkatz's. I almost feel ashamed now that my design was chosen:o

Haha, none of that, man. Your boots would reflect on and serve your life as much as mine would - and yours was just a better design!

I'm just sore because my shameless ploy to abuse my situation to get me a free pair of boots failed!

the laces are actually cheap leather laces from CVS/pharmacy. They were really bright and stiff but I coated them once with Obenauf's and they are darker. I could have used another coat but I like the contrast at the moment. I replaced the standard brown laces after they broke.

^ Agreed! They are really stunning. But at double the cost of cordo Aldens, hard to justify :(

While the horrible exchange rate doesn't help, once you handle them, that justification is easy. The construction is second to none. And the hand dyeing is amazing. The only other shoes I'd consider at the moment are the Mr. Freedom Road Champs.