Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Just ordered some of those WWII rough outs in 8D! I've been tempted to for a while now. We will see how they look, i dont like the color on them too much as-is but i've noticed with a few coats of some sno-seal and some wear they get a nice patina. $140 aint bad at all.

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/usarmy.html near the bottom

I am really curious about the quality of these. They look a lot like White's. I would love to hear what you think after you get them and break them in a bit. Can't beat the price!

Did any of u guys enter the Leathersoul contest #2? If you did it's time to vote for your fav shoe and boot! Which one would you vote for?

SHOE #1

The SF Classy Blucher by R. Friend

Plain Toe Blucher w/Medallion on Toe

Hampton Last

Burgundy #8 Shell Cordovan

6 Blind Eyelets

Regular Welt, Close Heel

Single Oiled Leather Flex Sole

LS Comments: “A great everyday shoe with a medallion detail that keeps it interesting. Very versatile, it will look great with a suit or with jeans.”

SHOE #2

The Jumper Shoe by C. Mai

Perforated Cap Toe Blucher

Trubalance Last

Horween Brown Chromexcel

Metal Eyelets

Regular Welt, Close Heel

Antique Edgetrim

Double Waterlock Oiled Leather Sole

Vintage Rubber Heel

LS Comments: “A perfect alternative or companion shoe to our very popular Jumper Boot line. Great addition of the vintage inspired rubber heel.”

SHOE #3

The Chromexcel LHS by M. Weinshenker

Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer

Van Last

Horween Brown Chromexcel

Regular Welt, All Around

Antique Edgetrim

LS Comments: “A simple but smart variation of one of Alden’s most popular shoes. The chromexcel leather matched with an oiled leather flex sole will make this a great, classic American penny loafer.”

BOOT #1

The Vanguard Boot by J. Rogulski

Cap Toe High Boot

Barrie Last

Horween Brown Chromexcel

Brass Eyelets w/Speed Hooks

Regular Welt, All Around

Antique Edgetrim

Double Waterlock Oiled Leather Sole

Vintage Rubber Heel

LS Comments: “We think this will be a great vintage looking boot. The contrast from the brass eyelets on the brown chromexcel leather will be a really nice detail.”

BOOT #2

The Natural Wingtip Boot by B. Miu

Wingtip High Boot

Plaza Last

Horween Natural Chromexcel

All Blind Eyelets

Regular Welt, Close Heel

Antique Edgetrim

LS Comments: “We think natural chromexcel will work great with the Plaza wingtip boot. It will age beautifully and we like the single oiled flex sole, giving it a dressier silhouette.”

BOOT #3

The Alpine Wingtip Boot by A. Cornett

Wingtip High Boot

Barrie Last

Brown Alpine Grain Calf

All Brass Eyelets

Reverse Welt, All Around

Antique Edgetrim

Commando Sole

Source:

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/09/19/alden-contest-2-finalists-revealed/#more-2595

I am really curious about the quality of these. They look a lot like White's. I would love to hear what you think after you get them and break them in a bit. Can't beat the price!

i posted pictures of these only a few pages back. they're about a year old and dubbed...there are lots of other pictures of these that i've posted too.

the construction is definitely crude, but pretty cool.

here they are new after first coat of sno seal:

3884764756_505a26dabb_b.jpg

4311195215_51766a2316_b.jpg

it is the distressed roughouts (according to the box anyway)

i thought they'd be lighter too but they certainly not as dark as the regular roughouts

know idea why they are called "distressed" except as marketing*

* you wouldn't think most people in the USA that are ordering white's are planning to take pictures themselves in the boots to post on a ambiguously gay shopping forum but to use in the field where all the distressing would happen rather (perhaps, too+)quickly.

+ meaning they'd want to preserve the integrity of the boots as long as possible

As it was once explained to me, the waxed aniline leather that is used for the rough outs (and is also available "smooth-out") receives a moderate distressing or weathering, but it basically just means that the leather has a flat oiled appearance instead of the shiny oiled appearance of a chromexcel leather...distressed is probably misleading if not an outright misnomer for whats actually done to the boots. I don't find the smooth-out leather to be a particularly attractive option, but that leather makes a handsome rough-out boot.

I entered a boot design and it is actually one of the finalists.

I wonder if it is worthy of SuFu approval...

Awesome! Jealous... I'm still insulted that my This Is the Boot I Would Need for My Life in Uganda entry didn't make the cut.

...which is yours?

Did any of u guys enter the Leathersoul contest #2? If you did it's time to vote for your fav shoe and boot! Which one would you vote for?

unfortunately, no boot design from me made the finals; here's hoping they will ever be made

Awesome! Jealous... I'm still insulted that my This Is the Boot I Would Need for My Life in Uganda entry didn't make the cut.

...which is yours?

unfortunately, no boot design from me made the finals; here's hoping they will ever be made

What designs did you guys submit? I'm curious to hear about them, and the story behind the design!

I like elements of the other two boots up for the contest, but they both have dealbreakers for me.

As for my design, all I will say is that while it is not your typical workwear style boot found in this thread, it is guaranteed to look better with age!

What designs did you guys submit? I'm curious to hear about them, and the story behind the design!

I like elements of the other two boots up for the contest, but they both have dealbreakers for me.

As for my design, all I will say is that while it is not your typical workwear style boot found in this thread, it is guaranteed to look better with age!

So which is yours???

And your wish is my command. I got a bit wordy and dorky, though, so enjoy:

When I caught wind of this contest, the daydreaming started instantly. Images of brogued wingtip spectator boots (#8 cordovan over canvas), delicate cap-toed oxfords, heavy double-soled longwings, a dozen other clever and quirky permutations danced across my mental cinema-screen. But as I flushed each out, seeing the pair on my feet, carrying me through my life as my daily podiatric accompaniment, the images faded to fuzzy vaguery. I realized that the problem was that, much though I loved these playful ideas, what I really wanted to design would be a shoe that would fit my life and my needs. And I suppose that as a researcher in Uganda working with a nonprofit research organization, and a clothing nerd, my life and my needs are a wee bit unique.

My work regularly takes me from bank boardrooms to villages, via bus, SUV or boda-boda (motorcycle taxi). On a given day I may have a stakeholder meeting with local politicians and a field visit to oversee the running of a survey. I find myself with regularly conflicting needs for my attire: ruggedness, understatedness, comfort and a touch of personal snazz. Attempting to balance these factors in my mind's eye leads me to daydream of a:

1) Design: plain, unimbellished boot in the vein of the Navy Suede PTB, however with a cap toe to add a smidge of pizazz and defend my digits in the unfortunate but not unheard of event of being tread upon by a goat.

2) Last: Trubalance, for comfort and appeal of shape

3) Leather: As a lover of all things which age and evolve with me (read: I'm a denim junky) and reflect the life I lead, the natural Chromexcel leather from Horween appeals on all levels. Watching the orange ferrous dirt and equatorial sun of Uganda, in partnership with the sweat and movement of my own body, slowly dye and transform this leather would fascinate me. And, as the years pass and my time here comes to its eventual end, the leather of these boots would offer a beautiful record and recollection of my work and adventures in this part of the world.

4) Welt: Entering the rainy season in the past few weeks has reminded me of the massive inadequacy of my usual footwear for dealing with inclement meteorology. A 360 degree Goodyear storm welt would do wonders for keeping my toes dry, mud-free and happy. In the dry season, I can only imagine this welt would help me avoid a repeat of the unenjoyable experience of having a jigger make its home in my big toe.

5) Sole: comfort and function must trump here. With days in the field often involving being on my feet for hours upon hours at a time, plus the aforementioned frequent prevalence of rain, a plantation crepe sole would be my foundation of choice.

6) Eyelets: and here I let style play first-fiddle, with brass Agatine eyelets adding some shine and sparkle. As with the leather, watching the slow oxidization and evolution of the eyelets in response to the boots' adventures would fascinate me. Given the frequency with which I sometime find myself needing to get into and out of my boots (showing respect for the homes of friends or survey respondents), speedhooks would be optimal for the upper reaches of the boot.

7) Edgetrim: antiquated edgetrim would provide a nice contrast to the initially light-tan leather, and a nice meter for how the boot-leather had changed its coloration over time.

And, to round it all out, a nice set of rawhide laces to lend a bit more ruggedness to the boot, and free me from the worry of having to find suitable replacements for quicker-to-degrade cotton in East Africa.

I hope my daydream weaves its way into your collective imaginations as well, and one day in the not-too-distant future I look down and see my daydream stomping some Ugandan soil!

SLAB?

I wish I had your eloquence with words dkatz

here were my three boot designs (customers got three entries)

Entry A

1) Design - Plain toe boot

2) Last - Barrie

3) Leather - roughout tan (if not possible tan suede)

4) Welt - all around storm welt

5) Sole - vibram Alden sole tan colored

6) Eyelets - all metal eyelets

7) Edgetrim - natural

Entry B

1) Design - Plain Toe boot

2) Last - Trubalance

3) Leather - black chrome excel leather

4) Welt - regular close heel welt

5) Sole - double oiled leather

6) Eyelets - metal eyelets with speedhooks

7) Edgetrim - natural