Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

OK, these may need to go in the Shoes that look worse with age thread, but I'll let you be the judge :)

I have a pair of Timberland Boot Co wingtips that are great shoes (Horween chromexcel), although I've never really liked the pre-distressing on the natural leather.

beforeg.jpg

So, I decided to try changing the color of them. I knew this could turn out as a disaster because, like most TBC shoes, these were heavily waxed. So, I sat down with a bottle of deglazer and did the best I could to strip the wax. After a coat of chocolate dye on top of a coat of British tan dye, and then a little oil, here's how they came out. Not the most even look, but I think they have a nice beat up vintage appearance- perfect for wearing with an old pair of jeans... They look great from about 5-6 ft away :)

afteryq.jpg

Just got my next pair of boots.

Custom made Vibergs in Mocha Brown.

web.jpg

web-2.jpg

web-1.jpg

Oddly enough the toe-box is what hooked me.

Not sure what other options they have, but they're capable of almost anything when custom ordering.

Does have any experience with the Alden restoration services? My Roy boots are going to need some work this winter. I figured it would be best time because I usually use my Red Wings for the winter because it has a better sole for the Canadian climate.

I am going to need a new sole and the welt stitch has loosened on the inside of my right foot (kick starting a bike) and I can't decide if I should just go to my local cobbler or send them in.

Does Alden just sell the soles and then I can have them done here in Toronto?

Does have any experience with the Alden restoration services? My Roy boots are going to need some work this winter. I figured it would be best time because I usually use my Red Wings for the winter because it has a better sole for the Canadian climate.

I am going to need a new sole and the welt stitch has loosened on the inside of my right foot (kick starting a bike) and I can't decide if I should just go to my local cobbler or send them in.

Does Alden just sell the soles and then I can have them done here in Toronto?

I am not to sure about Alden's restoration services as I have never used them but I would PM Beatle as I know she has. Also, please take before and after pics as well as how you decided to proceed. I am very interested as I have a feeling my Roys will need similar treatment. Thanks and good luck!

Anyone know sizing on Alden vs whites? I wear 9.5 in Alden, so how about whites? Many thanks.

Just the plain 405. And the white would be the sd.

so any opinions on how to wax/polish a boot best?

^^^Beautiful Tricker's, Paul.

Since you started with oil, you have to wait until the oil dries completely before the leather will take on the polish. Also it depends on if your leather is oil-tanned or not. Oil-tanned leather can take on a polish, but it does take a million coats, and not until the leather itself is more dry over the years. Also it defeats the purpose of oil tanned leather (stain-resistant, breathability, durability, etc.).

But of course, I decided to polish my oil-tanned Wescos. I didn't oil these for awhile, and I just used polish.

You can see that it finally reached a dull shine. It took large amounts of polish and elbow grease.

wescocomp2.jpg

wescocomp1.jpg

By comparison, my Red Wings which are chrome-tanned, can take on a shine quite easily.

rwcomp2.jpg

rwcomp1.jpg

And here they are side by side.

wecorwcomp.jpg

^^^Beautiful Tricker's, Paul.

Since you started with oil, you have to wait until the oil dries completely before the leather will take on the polish. Also it depends on if your leather is oil-tanned or not. Oil-tanned leather can take on a polish, but it does take a million coats, and not until the leather itself is more dry over the years. Also it defeats the purpose of oil tanned leather (stain-resistant, breathability, durability, etc.).

But of course, I decided to polish my oil-tanned Wescos. I didn't oil these for awhile, and I just used polish.

You can see that it finally reached a dull shine. It took large amounts of polish and elbow grease.

wescocomp2.jpg

wescocomp1.jpg

By comparison, my Red Wings which are chrome-tanned, can take on a shine quite easily.

rwcomp2.jpg

rwcomp1.jpg

And here they are side by side.

wecorwcomp.jpg

well done sir!

thx for explaining and btw: awesome resol-job on those 9014's...must spread though!

Tricker's Stowe. Two years old, my main pair so a year's or more wear.

I've generally only used neutral polish - they now look quite 'antiqued', all the lower, worn areas are darker, more of an oak colour.

stowes.jpg

Beautiful. Hope mine turn out like that. What was the original colour?

Bad for the leather, though, correct?

Supposedly, it's bad for the leather, but I can't imagine long term effects other than drying out the leather. If you wear the boots for work, it might not last that long for you to see what happens.

Seconded. Looks like a Hukurokuju job. Correct?

Yes indeed, resoled by my man Takeshi Okuyama.

Thanks for the comments.