mizanation

My pair of calf skin Church's McFarlanes, with Itshide commando soles:

Church+McFarlane1.bmp

Pre-shoecream

Church+McFarlane2.bmp

Church+McFarlane3.bmp

Church+McFarlane4.bmp

Church+McFarlane5.bmp

Post-shoecream (Sorry for not adding any pictures of the sole, didn't have anything to clean it up with at the time.)

These are handcrafted in England. Shoecream used is Church's burgundy. No other treatments done by me, though I've been thinking about getting Huberd's Shoe Grease; however, I heard it darkens the leather much. Anyone have experience with it?

Otherwise these are extremely comfortable, probably the best shoe-wear I've had.

^^ They look nice- I like eyelets all the way up. I wouldn;t say you need Huberds (to be honest I think a lot of people over-treat their shoes), especially while they're so new. I have some which I've only used as waterproofing on my wellington-height pull-up army boots that I wear in serious mud- it waterproofs round the welt. Those are black and it doesn't effect the colour at all. I've put it on belts though and it does darken natural unstained leather quite a bit. I reckon onto coloured leather (like your boots) it probably wouldn;t darken them that much, but I wouldn't want to guarantee anything...

They look like Trickers Ascot (which no longer are made in brown). The sizing system looks similar (heck, even the handwriting looks similar to my Trickers), and the rounded (some say blobby) front toe gives it away. Not to be mistaken for the C&J Clifford with the chisel toe.

thanks for the feedback. i emailed the pics to trickers and asked if they could ID them. i definitely like my aldens better though. want to get some aldens in brown as well, maybe a medallion toe model, in shell if i can swing it.

I'm a very simple guys when it comes to denim - and i've been impressed with the knowledge of both denim and footwear coming off this board.

Right now - I wear J Crew Vintage slim (cost me around $88) and I'm looking to raise my game but not spend a whole lot more than $100...

Any recommendations??? I'm in NYC/NJ Area...

Used my mobile (cell) phone to take some quick pics. The first pic came out pretty good, because I shot it in natural light.

DSC00055.jpg

Have to remember to do that for all of them. Whites Semi-dress with Cats paws.

The rest shot indoors with flash. Was conditioning my Tricker's cordovan bluchers (Cherry and Black). They look the same colour under flash. Once polished up, will take some outdoor shots. Gave the leather some conditioning with RM Williams leather conditioner (apparently the best leather conditioner you can get your hands on in Aus). The cordovan that Trickers use for their boots and shoes supposedly comes from a tannery in Italy or South America (whose name escapes me for the moment). When I got the shoes, it was like they were in storage for 10 years, the leather was as dry as packed Chux superwipes. It wrinkled horribly when worn (and I was definitely worried about them cracking). When I gave them a rub down with conditioner, the leather just sucked that up like a cham-wow. I've heard up and down that cordovan is a very low porous leather and that you shouldn't use any kind of cream on it, but the leather on these shoes aren't like my brother's Alden cordovans. The conditioning has really helped.

DSC00057.jpg

Gave my Russell Chukkas a rub down with OB as well. They were looking pretty dry.

DSC00059.jpg

shoestop.jpg

They look like Trickers Ascot (which no longer are made in brown). The sizing system looks similar (heck, even the handwriting looks similar to my Trickers), and the rounded (some say blobby) front toe gives it away. Not to be mistaken for the C&J Clifford with the chisel toe.

got my reply from trickers:

Having examined the photos we are 90% sure that they are indeed a pair of Tricker`s classic brogues called Epsom, which we still make today.

good eye, indigo junkie.

you've been looking for those for a long time right?

how do you manage the 'stiffness' boot? they're hard as rock!

Yeah, they're about nearly 300€ in germany, I've found them for 119$...

I've just tried them on, what do you mean exactly?

Yeah, they're about nearly 300€ in germany, I've found them for 119$...

I've just tried them on, what do you mean exactly?

In Holland they charge 300 e as well

I mean that when I tried them on they were too stiff for my taste. I can imagine you have to wear them for some time before they get comfortable and stop hurting. Or isn't that your experience with thorogood?

A post about the boots that saved my ankle. They were made by Chippewa probably 30-35 years ago. When I got them from ElectroBay they looked like this and I was so stoked I wrote a blog post about them. We've all been there, right?

P3153373.JPG

Then the other day 1000lbs of dance floor fell over on me, and my ankle looked like this.

SAM_2512.JPG

Luckily that ankle was inside this boot.

SAM_2720-1.JPG

All that weight falling on it gave it a nose lift. What a punum. Here's what the couple look like together.

SAM_2717-1.JPG

Notice the right boot is still making a scrunched up bitter beer face. Thank you boot. Without you I would have a metal plate in my leg.

A post about the boots that saved my ankle. They were made by Chippewa probably 30-35 years ago. When I got them from ElectroBay they looked like this and I was so stoked I wrote a blog post about them. We've all been there, right?

Great to see work boots actually serve a purpose other than aesthetic. Great post about them, too (and poking around your blog, it's not so bad either).

Sorry for the overbig pictures. WIll downsize them momentarily. [Edit: done. They used to be so big. You should've seen them.]

Incidentally it seems like canvas shoes don't get much love on this thread. But there's definitely room in my closet for old ratty cotton shoes.

SAM_2539.JPG

I'm currently wearing one half of a pair of NOS Converse Skid Grip CVOs. The left one fucking rules so I assume the right one will be pretty good once I can put it on. I was never much of a converse kid but I really love these.

SAM_2628.JPG

Incidentally I don't think I can afford the resoling for my orthopedic boot. It would have to be prescription and I don't have health insurance. But I am thinking of changing out the laces on these dogies. Any input? I'm thinking maybe gold lame'?

Those look fantastic Dr House - must come back to rep... How about fit pics? :)

Edit: 300 euro?? Wow, they run about $120 US here...

As soon as it gets a bit colder, we've got a real hot summer atm ;), thanks man. Yeah, they're f.cking expensive in europe.

In Holland they charge 300 e as well

I mean that when I tried them on they were too stiff for my taste. I can imagine you have to wear them for some time before they get comfortable and stop hurting. Or isn't that your experience with thorogood?

Hey buddy, I've got no experiences with thorogoods so far, I've just tried them on and they're stiff like most new shoes imo. I'm sure they'll turn out pretty comfy after some wear.

Look great. Do they fit true to size? And where did you cop them?

They fit like red wings, size down one or a half size. I was pretty unsure how to size them and I'm happy to follow the advice from http://www.bakershoe.com/ (that's where they from), they're on sale for 119 $.

I'm currently wearing one half of a pair of NOS Converse Skid Grip CVOs. The left one fucking rules so I assume the right one will be pretty good once I can put it on. I was never much of a converse kid but I really love these.

Hey man, those are Converse? Sry for the dumb question, but I've never seen them here in europe before. Plz gimme some more details, thx in advance!

EDIT: I just noticed that in the first post Miza said No Sneakers Allowed. I would plead ignorance but I can never remember if it is a good excuse or not...

Hey man, those are Converse? Sry for the dumb question, but I've never seen them here in europe before. Plz gimme some more details, thx in advance!

Yeah, they're Converse. Mine are old, I bought them via auction. Converse just recently started selling them again here in the US, along with some other interesting older models. I guess they are "revisiting their archives." You can even design your own. They're also online at Macy's and Footlocker.

I also noticed a few NOS pairs at www.goodhoodstore.com.

Okay, that is enough links. PM me if you want more info.

PS - what do you think of my ankle, Doctor? Will I ever dance again?

EDIT: I just noticed that in the first post Miza said No Sneakers Allowed. I would plead ignorance but I can never remember if it is a good excuse or not...

Yeah, they're Converse. Mine are old, I bought them via auction. Converse just recently started selling them again here in the US, along with some other interesting older models. I guess they are "revisiting their archives." You can even design your own. They're also online at Macy's and Footlocker.

I also noticed a few NOS pairs at www.goodhoodstore.com.

Okay, that is enough links. PM me if you want more info.

PS - what do you think of my ankle, Doctor? Will I ever dance again?

Hey, thanks a lot, would rep if I could...

I'm sorry for your ankle, unfortunately I'm only a TV doc (ya see: everybody lies ;) ) but I'm sure everything will be fine and you'll dance again. All the best bro'.