Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Great footwear on this page. Jstavrin - great buy. They look dope!

Just because I like these so much...

roy1.jpg

roy2.jpg

roy3.jpg

If anyone's on the fence about pre-ordering these... Do it! :)

Finally...a family pic. Left is black smokejumper leather w/minilug sole. Right is brown dress leather on double leather sole with a toe-cap. Overall I think the leather and fit of my new boots are my favorite, but I still love the looks of my cap-toes the best I think.

dsc2733j.jpg

sorry , but had to quote this family picture again; great picture, wish i had some friends for my pair of Whites as well

Started wearing my Roy boots yesterday; it feels like im walking on clouds, super comfortable and i cant wait for the chrome excell leather to start aging

Now that I've had these stretched out from the Cobbler to a wider width they are no longer for sale and I can share them here! What I wrote in my for sale thread.

"This was a special "Fan Model" of the popular Indy boot made without moc toe stitching on the Tru Balance last. They were made to the Alden of New England standards (instead of the Foot Balance standards of the standard Indy 403, 404, and 405 boots), with neoprene cork sole, cotton lining, and out of the very tough Heavily Oiled Kudu leather. Now what the Alden of New England standards offer (which I think is frankly nothing now that almost everything has a leather lining) over the Foot Balance standards is beyond me. Beautiful color and extremely heavy leather (compared to my Indy 405's they feel twice as thick!)."

I wore them Friday-Sunday at work (11+ hours a day) and they are so damn tough! This Kudu leather is really something else.

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

My ultimate goal with these was to throw plantation crepe soles on them and flat waxed laces. It turns out Alden does not send out Plantation Crepe soles to Alden dealers or cobblers. So I must send them to Alden to have the soles put on. And I'm having a hard time finding the right flat waxed laces.

Dude leave those soles on them. They look beautiful as is. Wait until that cork sole wears down and then do what you want with the sole, but for now just leave them as is and save some money.

chromexcel ages really fast theyre like the samurai of leather...

So all the creases will be indistinguishable from the others? I've always felt that samurai's fade badly.

For flat wax laces, just get the ones Alden makes for the snuff suede. Real nice.

Dude leave those soles on them. They look beautiful as is. Wait until that cork sole wears down and then do what you want with the sole, but for now just leave them as is and save some money.

seconded.

those look beautiful. I love the plain toe. save the plantation for later.

Question to someone who got both RedWing GT and White's packers:

I'm wearing size 8D in RW GT, but they are a bit tight in widht, so should i buy 8E in White's pakers? I know about smokejumpers, but can't find info about packers.

Will appreciate any help.

If you know your size in smokejumpers why not just call White's or Baker and ask them? Assuming you are planning on ordering some... hell even if you aren't.

yea, i guess i'll mail bakershoe, they was always helpfull, and yea probably will order from them. thank you!

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

My ultimate goal with these was to throw plantation crepe soles on them and flat waxed laces. It turns out Alden does not send out Plantation Crepe soles to Alden dealers or cobblers. So I must send them to Alden to have the soles put on. And I'm having a hard time finding the right flat waxed laces.

Absolutely beautiful boots, 'jealousy fire', I agree with the others; leave the soles as they are and wear them hard; after they are worn down you can throw some plantation crepe soles on them

If you want to put plantation soles on these, then why not just buy the Roy boots from Context? That's ultimately what they are going to look like if you change the sole out.

I don't understand why people want to immediately change out the soles of their boots when they get them. It used to be all about putting Cat's Paws on them. Like we as consumers know better than a factory. Just my .02.

Hey guys,

I've been considering ordering a pair of White's Retro Oxford from Bakershoe. I know, it's really expensive compared regular White's boots but the thought of having a low-top White's shoe really appeals to me.

For the sole I want to go with the Vibram 269 rubber sole for all weather reliabliity.

One detail I can't seem to decide on is whether to go for the standard curved-in heel or the 90 degree block heel. Kyle from Bakershoe recommends the block heel. But to me, the block heel looks really chunky as the height of White's shoes are always higher than normal shoes.

However, I've never seen any pics of the Oxford shoe with the curved-in heel. I don't know if it'll look weird on a low-top shoe.

What do you guys think? Should I just take a risk and order the Standard heel and see how it turns out?

For reference, here's the link to the shoe:

http://www.bakershoe.com/shop-by-brand.cfm/brand/whites-boots/product/2010-retro-whites-oxford/

I think the block heel is a little chunkytoo, but I do sort of like it that way ok as well. It seems less chunky when my boots are on my feet then when I'm just sitting there looking at it. Not sure how the tapered heel would look on a shoe but it could be pretty cool.

I don't understand why people want to immediately change out the soles of their boots when they get them. It used to be all about putting Cat's Paws on them. Like we as consumers know better than a factory. Just my .02.

Kind of like how when you buy a motorcycle and immediately change out the handlebars or the wheels for after-market ones.

....so where do you get these? Honestly I prefer this to the regular Indy. The moc toe is okay, but I much prefer this plain toe version.

"This was a special "Fan Model" of the popular Indy boot made without moc toe stitching on the Tru Balance last. They were made to the Alden of New England standards (instead of the Foot Balance standards of the standard Indy 403, 404, and 405 boots), with neoprene cork sole, cotton lining, and out of the very tough Heavily Oiled Kudu leather. Now what the Alden of New England standards offer (which I think is frankly nothing now that almost everything has a leather lining) over the Foot Balance standards is beyond me. Beautiful color and extremely heavy leather (compared to my Indy 405's they feel twice as thick!)."

IMG_5147.jpg

....so where do you get these? Honestly I prefer this to the regular Indy. The moc toe is okay, but I much prefer this plain toe version.

You can buy the Roy boot from context, which looks almost exactly the same except for with the plantation crepe.

I got an idea. You buy the Roy boots, take the plantation crepe off of them and exchange soles with Technicolor and he can have the roy boot and you can have the plain toe indy's. Sounds like a plan.

You can buy the Roy boot from context, which looks almost exactly the same except for with the plantation crepe.

I got an idea. You buy the Roy boots, take the plantation crepe off of them and exchange soles with Technicolor and he can have the roy boot and you can have the plain toe indy's. Sounds like a plan.

I really do hate the crepe sole so that would be fine with me.

....in other news, these look promising (via leathersoul). They are calling them their Pitt Boots and won't share any more photos.

bp1.jpg

bp2.jpg

If you want to put plantation soles on these, then why not just buy the Roy boots from Context? That's ultimately what they are going to look like if you change the sole out.

resole= $80-$200 depending on where you go.

roy boots= $450

that being said, I'd wait until the current soles wear down to do anything... but still, you can't be serious.

I'm going to leave them as is until I get a 3rd pair of Alden's or whenever the sole wears down. Whichever comes first.

So all the creases will be indistinguishable from the others? I've always felt that samurai's fade badly.

For flat wax laces, just get the ones Alden makes for the snuff suede. Real nice.

I'll have to check into those. Alden was saying they don't have waxed laces longer enough for the Boots only for the shoes. What I forgot to ask is whether they had waxed leather laces that length.

seconded.

those look beautiful. I love the plain toe. save the plantation for later.

I just may. Thank you!

Absolutely beautiful boots, 'jealousy fire', I agree with the others; leave the soles as they are and wear them hard; after they are worn down you can throw some plantation crepe soles on them

Thanks man!

I've had a worn down neoprene cork sole on my Indy's for some time now and I have to say they aren't good for anything but perfect weather. The slightest hint of rain, sleet, snow, or ice and you'll be flat on your ass. As I see it these boots should be comfortably worn year round without the worry of bad weather.

These were a fan model so the factory did not decide what was better for them. Myself being an informed consumer (having already gone through a neoprene cork sole myself) I would say I know what is best for the boots I am going to wear.

What harm is there if someone wants to throw on different soles if it suits their lifestyle or use better? I use these boots to work in. Sometimes I just can't justify wearing one of my winter boots simply because the weather is dreary.. they are just too warm. I'll have Roy Boots in 6 months when the current preorder is delivered.

Thanks for the advice.

Technicolor - those boots are fantastic as they are.

Thanks man!

I'm not sure where they came from or how old they are because I got them from someone else. I love the moc toe, and I will always own Indy boots, but I prefer the look of the plain toe in some situations.

Thats a fantastic idea! And I will have a preorder for Roy Boots, but do any of you notice the 6 month wait until October when they arrive? I have those Kudu boots in my possession right now, in a different shade of leather, and I got them for much less.

resole= $80-$200 depending on where you go.

roy boots= $450

that being said, I'd wait until the current soles wear down to do anything... but still, you can't be serious.

Resoles at my Cobbler go for $55 plus the cost of the sole. Not a bad deal. Besides the fact that the neoprene cork sole that is currently on the Kudu boots is being transferred to my beat up old Indy boots whenever I do get the Kudu's resoled.

Thanks everyone!

Moving Sale Continued:

I ordered these a few months ago, and I haven't put much hard wear into them. They were on rotation with two other pairs of boots. I'm selling these because i'll doing some traveling that won't require this pair of boots, but will require cash.

I bought this make-up to look like the Sugar Cane Mechanic boot, which they do. They haven't been polished yet, only Pecard's here and there.

Details

Price: 315 Shipped

Size: 9.5 D

Brass Eyelets

Natural Edge

Single Leather sole w/ Cat's Paw

Black Dress Leather

Red Leather Lined

Double-stitched welt

New Americana Semi-dress Last

More pictures here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=209402

IMG_3448.jpg?t=1273706762

After having both lasts I've decided that the standard Semi-Dress last looks better to my eye, but the Swing last fits my foot better and still looks good. Future orders will probably be on the Swing last and I may even try to sell one of my pair of regular last boots and replace them with a Swing last version of the same thing.