Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

those AF60s are on the plaza last------i am wearing them now; i sprinted on icy sidewalks for a few blocks in them this morning. yesterday, i wore alden chukkas on the barrie last in the same size. i have to say that the plaza fits my feet perfectly. the barrie, not so much.

What do you find to be the difference. I'm looking at the AF72 as my number one pick but might go for the AF60 if they aren't a good fit. I really do want the wingtips though......

ok, guys, i just came back from visiting my greek shoe guru. as always, i learned a lot. a quick digest:

1) i asked him about putting heavier vibram soles on alden (and other) boots. he said, "no problem." he proceeded to pull out his vibram catalog and show me the soles used for military application. he then recommended a new type of vibram sole which is very flexible, comfortable and provides excellent traction.

2) he told me the story of how in 1935, vitale bramani led an expedition into the italian alps, where things went terribly wrong. because of the lack of traction on their boots, 6 climbers tragically died. afterwards, vitale created the vibram sole--the sole that would have saved the climbers' lives on that fateful trip. read more about vibram here:

http://www.vibram.us/products/default.asp

3) i asked him about cats paw soles, how they stack up to vibram. he told me that vibram bought cats paw, so the quality is more or less the same. he seems to prefer vibram though.

What do you find to be the difference. I'm looking at the AF72 as my number one pick but might go for the AF60 if they aren't a good fit. I really do want the wingtips though......

you know what, it may be that i bought a half size too big on the barrie. according to alden of carmel, the plaza is slightly longer than stated size, the barrie is a half-size larger than stated size. they break it down here

true, superstars are notorious for crazy sizing. i think i'm gonna go with a 9, since i rock a 8.5 in alden and 9.5 in nike.

the vintage, german-made GSG9 is famous for being the top choice among bodyguards and personal protection professionals. the only problem is, the ripple sole tread wears down quickly. my greek guy says that he can resole the ripple sole on those. nice.

whatsup synthi. i am positive there are shoe gurus in london. the guy who got me into real shoes is from london. i hope you find someone good!

Hey Miz, yeah you know the other day I rewound back to page 1 of this thread and it brought back some good memories. I wonder if you realised back then how this thread would grow . . :eek: I guess shoe gurus are around here too, just gotta track em down. I wonder if your friend would know - are you in touch??

I visited Jermyn St. for the first time just before xmas and found an amazing pair of Boots at Crockett & Jones. My 29th bithday just last month was all the justification I needed - pics will be taken this weekend!!! :D

^^^ synthi, now that you mention it, i ran into my londoner friend and his girlfriend outside a japanese restaurant a couple days ago. he was in town for one night and i happened to bump into him--coincidences like this happen to me all the time, fortunately. we made plans to hang out, get a bite to eat, and of course, discuss shoes.

like i said before, when i go to london i am gonna do 3 things:

1) go to jermyn street and buy as many pairs of shoes that i can without threatening my return to new york and my marriage.

2) buy a bunch of kangols (much cheaper in london)

3) eat my fill of curry on brick lane. everyday.

to describe how cool my londoner friend is he is:

a) a ex-member of the RAF

B) a expert level sniper

c) martial arts expert (he broke the neck of someone who tried to carjack him)

d) world traveller (travels around the globe constantly)

e) nationally ranked decathalete until his 30s

f) gourmet chef

g) ex-competitive powerlifter

h) and shoe fanatic. he shines his shoes every night.

cool as fuckin' hell.

^^ A - H = :eek: Wowzers. He'd give Arnold Shwarznegger a run for his money in terms of 'to-do's' ticked off along the journey that is life!!!

cool as fuckin' hell.

Completely co-sign. Dude sounds like a total legend. Oh and Miz when you reach the gentleman's playground that is Jermyn Street, your eyes may light up but your wallet will be audibly weeping. I really hope the dollar recovers against the pound by the time you visit. My calfskin C&J's cost more than Alden cordovans. C&J Cordovan's would cost you guys around $800 and up with trees :(

Two pair of boots I just picked up Mister Freedom. That place is like crack, I'm really mad I know about this place now.

A pair of undated Red Wings that are beat to hell, and sick pair of Jump Boots, dated Oct 10th, 1956.

Chrisophe also has an amazing pair of origional rough-out deck boots (the "steve McQueens"), but they were a half size too small!

IMG_04141.jpg

IMG_04161.jpg

Can those of you that have seen Cotton Duck's scans of the Red Wings catalogue

(http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=247225&highlight=Red+Wing+catalog #post247225)

and GregNYC's RW Japan link

(http://www.redwingshoe.co.jp/index2.html)

please e-mail Red Wing

http://www.redwingshoes.com/contact/

and ask why the fuck we in the US can't get some of these offerings? Wouldn't you like more variety?

I personally want one of these:

rw-8875s.jpg

Sorry for the hijack miz.

Hey Ang,

Those Red Wings you show are available as 875s in the U.S. If you put a bit of lotion on the 875s they'll darken up and go towards burgundy. I have a perverse liking for Red Wings because they fit as well as they do. The 875s are like sneakers. I have to return the 1911's in 10.5 that Dejan sent me, gonna return them for the 9.5s as they run big. If that doesn't work, he'll send me the 10's.

I heard an interesting thing from Shoe Mania in NYC where I get my RWs. I wanted the black ones, the 8130s in E width. They had to ask the manager, since they went up to D only. It turns out that they had set aside all the 8130s in E to send to a retailer in Japan. The pair I tried on didn't feel so good, as it poked into my heel the way the Aldens did. I'm kinda glad I didn't get them because they look a little plastic. What do you guys think??

6653.jpg