Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Cigar would definitely be the color. The investment argument is my best hope. But since I've had my Leeds for only two weeks and my chukkas I bought in November, I really should wait some months before going for number three. Or else, as they say, relations between nations may become strained.

I'd go with the most immature route of all and say, well at least I'm not this guy:

??????????????????????????????????

?????????

1082366803ak1.jpg

???2000???TOY McCOY????1940'S BUCO?????

????????,????

1082366850je2.jpg

?????????Tricker's?????,????????????

???????

1082366884cy8.jpg

80??ALL STAR MADE in U.S.A

1082366894ci4.jpg

70??ALL STAR MADE in U.S.A

1082366919fz3.jpg

70??ALL STAR MADE in U.S.A

1082366905os1.jpg

80??ALL STAR MADE in U.S.A

1082366933sv0.jpg

Joe McCOY Boots ??1940?????(???)

1082366941ka7.jpg

Joe McCOY Boots ??1940?????(???)??

1082371096an5.jpg

Joe McCOY Boots ??1940?????(???)

zk, love the RWs and Danners(not the ones I quoted, the 8130s, don't think they're available stateside). Do you ever wish you were a millipede so you can wear some more of the jeans and shoes?

from the top:

because i wear jeans most of the time, these shoes are almost all in tandem with the rugged aesthetic of blue jeans, going to display for everyone to take a look

this is a pre-2000 TOY McCOY product, reproduction of a 1940's BUCO engineer's boot made with horse leather, breathtakingly good.

this is a classic model from tricker's, which has shod the feet of english royalty; although this is really gentlemanly [someone correct me if i'm wrong], surprisingly it goes well with the narrower legs of the jeans.

80s era ALL STAR MADE IN U.S.A.

70s era ALL STAR MADE IN U.S.A.

70s era ALL STAR MADE IN U.S.A.

80s era ALL STAR MADE IN U.S.A.

Joe McCoy reproduction of a 1940s work boot (dual colour model)

Joe McCOY Boots reproduction of a 1940s work boot (single colour model) in coffee

Joe McCOY Boots reproduction of a 1940s work boot (single colour model)

second post:

Joe McCOY Boots reproduction of a 1940s work boot (single colour model) in black

because DANNER mountaineering products have GORE-TEX fabrics, hence are completely waterproof but breathable

the base of the shoe also lasts through wear and trashing, a really all-use product

RED WING 2218 super tough work boots

WESCO work boots, even hardier than RED WING, and one of japanese's top three shoe brands of choice

DANNER mountaineering boots

Joe McCOY Boots reproduction of a 1940s work boot (single colour model) in yellow suede

DANNER mountaineering boots

you rock a green submariner? that's a serious watch, man.

Thanks man. I had to get it for it's historical significance and it's something I can wear and forget (no baby-ing). My first passion is mechanical watches but I can't buy them like jeans since they cost a tad bit more.

It's probably the "old school" construction of quality denim that got me into jeans in the first place. Kinda like watch making.

To tie this post into the thread, I stopped by Leather Soul Hawaii, jumped on the Alden bandwagon, and picked up a pair of the shell cordovan Indy in cigar w/ leather soles. I really wanted a wingtip shoe or boot but ultimately the simplicity and versatility of the Indy won me over (that and my GF does not dig wingtips at all).

I can't stop looking at my feet... I love how the colours are flowing with the creases.

I'll post up pics later.

Here are my cigar Indy's with leather soles. I wore them for about 8 hours today. Tom at Leather Soul Hawaii was kind enough to help me get near identical creases in both left and right boot. Not as elegant or stylish as the wingtips (I still love that look) but it works well for my needs right now.

Get a pair from Tom before he's all out! He told me he won't be ordering these (cigar shell cordovan Indy w/ leather soles) again for another year or so. You can email him at [email protected].

CIMG3020.jpg

CIMG3022.jpg

That is a great looking pair of shoes. The leather sole really changes the look. I like them.

I'm wearing my wingtips out of the house for the first time today. My driveway turns into a mud pit after it rains and today is the first day I can walk out the door without stepping into standing water. I've go to take the kids to school and run to the bank and I have class tonight. I'm very excited to be wearing them.

I also mentioned to my wife that I would probably be getting another pair and it only resulted in an eye roll. She really loves me. :)

I think the cigar (at least mine, there's a lot of variation I'm told) is too brown to work with straight black. I think it would work fine with charcoal though. Well, after holding some black up aginast it maybe black would work, I just wouldn't do it with balck dress pants, texture helps a lot. I still think #8 is more versatile even though I'm loving cigar to death.

Those shell Indy's do look nice. I'd love to see a picture of them worn with a pair of jeans. ;)

lowrider, the indy is traditionally a beater-upper. meaning, you can wear it on excavations, treasure hunts, missions--in the jungle, in booby-trapped ruins and deserts. are you going to baby your indy's since they are shell cordovan (which is technically a tougher leather than calfskin) or are you going to treat them like indy's are usually treated, which is pretty roughly.

familyman, maybe you're right. so, i guess i'll have to get both colors. :)

Man, you guys are my fashion idols! My budget is long blown and I am simply beyond green with envy over your boot collections. The very last thing I need to have shipped out to the bl**dy mountains of NW Pakistan are shell cordovan boots, but I cannot help myself staring at these pictures. Sigh.....

hey jubei, i had both my alden boots resoled with vibram soles. better traction and longer wear. comfort is about the same because i didn't put in a commando sole, just the regular thin vibram. probably slightly better shock absorption. the leather soles get worn down very quickly, at least they do when you live in NYC.

Thanks guys! I'm very happy with the purchase.

Miz - I'm planning on wearing my Indy's often since I like that worn in look that personalizes the shoe and adds to its character. I won't be babying it but I won't be doing any tomb raiding either ; ). I specifically chose the leather sole instead of the rubber one because I wanted to be able to dress these up a bit with a pair of khaki's and a button down and also dress them down with jeans and a tee.

I thought that the double leather soles last about as long as the rubber ones. Was I misinformed?

Black jeans with brown (cigar) boots?? Isn't that a fashion faux pas? I am colourblind so I can't tell if it matches or not but I would LOVE to wear my Indy's with a pair of soon-to-be-mine SExIH01BKs. Would that look work? What colour top and belt?

Thanks again guys.

From AOC's website:

"Recently, a good customer of Alden shoes offered these care tips for brand new shell cordovan shoes, in order to help protect the leather from water and other elements.

Using a fine cloth, apply a very thin layer of paste wax (not cream) on the shoes. Rub this paste wax in very carefully for about 5 minutes. Wait 1/2 hour and repeat process. Then wait another 1/2 hour, and repeat process a third time.

After this, dip the same fine cloth in water, and rub thoroughly in a cicrular motion until the shine begins to appear. (The cloth should not be really wet. The cloth should just be dipped in water for a very short time, so that the cloth is damp.) But if you rub thoroughly you should see a very thin film of water on the leather for a short time.

When dry, brush with a soft horse hair brush, then polish with a soft cloth.

For cleaning the shoes, use a damp cloth to remove dirt and dust, and a dry cloth for buffing the shoes. This is all that is necessary.

Repeat this polishing process a few times a year, only when necessary.

This process should help guard your new shell cordovan shoes from water and the elements."

Since the conditions outside for most of us suck, but you still want to wear your cordos, what'd'you think?

man, i've worn my shell cordos in all kinds of weather and they really hold up. even right now, it's slushy and cold in new york, and my shells have been taking care of me. you have to remember that these are made out of the ass of a horse. and that's tough.

in fact, recently, i wore my lined converse sneakers and realized how thick the leather is on these alden shells. my feet were freezing in my sneakers, but they are nice and toasty in my shells. it really protects your feet from the elements.

lowrider -- nothing lasts longer than vibram. leather soles really doesn't stand a chance, especially on NYC pavement.

and about black jeans with cigar shoes. yeah, i have to agree with familyman, that charcoal is probably a better choice than black... but nothing goes better with black than black, i think.

I preordered the Indys in #8 from LeatherSoul, and they just arrived on Monday. I thought I would post some pics.

I took them in the sun to try and show the true color of the burgundy and put on my S5000BKs for one picture. The 2 middle pictures are with 'canes and the last one is with the sammies. I think the #8 goes really well with black.

dsc00006wt5.jpg

dsc00018hk0.jpg

dsc00015bo0.jpg

dsc00019xe7.jpg

What a first post.

I love the speed lacing on the top.

The jeans actually skew blue to me. But unlike dwg, I think it looks good. Of course, exactly the same as dwg, my opinion is worth bupkus.