Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm voting for the black Indy.

I have them in brown and black. They are classic, sleek, comfortable and very well made. If you get the right size, there is absolutely no break-in period. The black ones squeak a little at first, but that is going away.

I just walked 6 miles across San Francisco in my black ones last night! They remained very comfortable the whole way.

Also, you will get lots of compliments wearing them.

You can order them from the Madison Ave. Alden Store in NYC. They are very helpful and sent them out right away.

(not the best picture, but here they are...)

blackIndy2.jpg

What would you guys choose if it was between the black Wolverine 1000 mile and black Red Wing GT/9013?

Here's a picture of my humble collection of boots; from left to right, Alden Indy 405 (brand new), White Semi-Dress and Red WIng 875.

f_Picture117m_81413af.jpg

something different but more suited for the hot temperatures these days; a pair of Japanese style slippers I picked up in Osaka; I dont quite remember the brand but it was sold in a small shop where they had Samurai, Eternal, Momotaro and some traditional looking clothes.

Since they are equiped with single leather soles and genuine bamboo sole, thought it might be interesting to show these in this thread.

f_Picture102m_80d2c74.jpg

f_Picture103m_2e56a42.jpg

f_Picture104m_9878fdd.jpg

Always lurker, occasional poster. I really love this thread--thanks to all for great content and pics.

So, I posted a pic of some of my stuff back on page 370 of this thread, when my Indys were less than a week old:

4.jpg

After two years and a Chicken inspired resole, here are some follow-up pics:

IMG_7353.jpg

IMG_7354.jpg

And the obligatory "fit pic":

IMG_7370.jpg

See y'all in two years for another update!

That is the essential collection Slab. Everyone should have those three pairs. I like the look of those Wolverines quite a lot, they look a little classier in the finishing than the redwing perhaps?

Jolla, indies look great. I love that colour on the brand new photo.

Black indies look a bit odd brand new, but those fit pics are a great improvement.

Jolla, What did you do to get that "pebbled" look at the ankles. Was it a conditioner? I have beat up my indys and they don't have that pebbling effect. Anybody else get that effect?

100 mile it is!

Noooooo! Don't get the 100 mile boot! It is 10 times worse than the 1000 mile boot.

Wow... I'm surprised how strong the consensus is for Wolverine over Indy. I will need to hear some more reviews and see them in person before I'm able to make a decision. The wolverines definitely have a more classic work boot look to me. Hm.

any ideas for waterproofing the red wing iron rangers in the roughout leather? fucking love the boots, but working construction gets them covered in mud, sand, water, etc?

I don´t think u need to do anything..been wearing mine constantly in rainy weather and mud - never got wet feet

Will be a tough call:

blackindy1.jpg

VS.

wolverine1000milerblack.jpg

Hmmm.

I am not a huge idea of the heritage workboots as part of a lifestyles line thing that is responsible for the 1000 mile boot even though it is a pretty sharp looking boot. I would not be comfortable recommending it all until I have touched them and heard from enough people who know good footwear on whether or not they are comfortable and hold up well. I would say if you are sticking to black, the real question should be between the 405s or a pair of Whites Semi Dress in black, with a standard heel if need be.

any ideas for waterproofing the red wing iron rangers in the roughout leather? fucking love the boots, but working construction gets them covered in mud, sand, water, etc?

Definitely do some dubbing with sno-seal. Whether or not you want to polish with brown shoe polish afterwards is basically your call...I like it for the patina that it develops.

i was only recommending the 100 mile based on its looks - no idea how they fit or develop!

the indy is unbeatable when it comes to comfort and fit - i doubt that 100 mile boot will reach even half of the indys level in those categories. but, just guessing ...

Yo who's got an ultimate indy? Leather soul is getting more in 5 or 6 months and I'm curious as to how they age.

i am already on that order you mention. would be interested in pics.

nevertheless, i am highly certain you would not regret an order anyway.

Well, Matt at leather soul said there's always the option for an Edward green mto, that would be 1500 us dollars to start then goes up from there haha, but Alden NYC and San Fran have chukkas in cigar right now.

c'mon, you want an alden 405 cigar shell!

I'm surprised at how many people are recommending the Wolverines over the 405s. I agree that the Wolverines look better in black, but they haven't really "proven" themselves like the 405 has.

Always lurker, occasional poster. I really love this thread--thanks to all for great content and pics.

So, I posted a pic of some of my stuff back on page 370 of this thread, when my Indys were less than a week old:

After two years and a Chicken inspired resole, here are some follow-up pics:

IMG_7353.jpg

IMG_7354.jpg

And the obligatory "fit pic":

IMG_7370.jpg

See y'all in two years for another update!

Jolla,

Boots look amazing. What soles are those again? I remember seeing, but has been awhile.

Thanks.