Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Loving the cats paw soles on the 405s jstavrin. Those are among the nicest boots I've seen in this thread, and I lurk this thread a lot :P

Anyway, I'll post up some pictures of the Black Red Wing 9014 GT's I got in the mail soon.

I'm very happy with them, really solid. My first pair of 'premium' boots.

Jstavrin; your Indy boots look great; I hope to have mine done in Tokyo in two years (have to wear them hard first)

Turntabloid; i still don't see the pictures

Here are my black Indys. I'm loving them!

One drawback is they squeak a bit where the tongues rub against the eyestays. My brown ones don't do it at all.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Thanks!

That will go away with time. Just let them wear in a bit more.

crap - i want a pair of black indy's... where'd you get them from?
That will go away with time. Just let them wear in a bit more.

I ordered them from the New York Madison Ave store. they were super helpful over the phone and sent them out right away.

thanks... I'm hoping the squeak will go away in time. I feel like a jerk walking around like that. But, I do get tons of compliments on the boots, so it's worth it!

Those wolverine boots are cool, but then so are the GT's. If I had to get one first, it'll probably get the Wolverine's because it has a nice double leather midsole. The only thing stopping me would be that corny "1000 mile" stamp" on the top. And yes, that picture angle sucks.

Those wolverine boots are cool, but then so are the GT's. If I had to get one first, it'll probably get the Wolverine's because it has a nice double leather midsole. The only thing stopping me would be that corny "1000 mile" stamp" on the top. And yes, that picture angle sucks.

did their originals also have the 1000 miles stamp...? I bet they did as a selling point in the 40's since that was their slogan. I don't think it's a modern corny thing but an authentic detail.... but if I'm wrong, then yes, it's corny

The lining on my Indys is deteriorating at a rapid rate and if I am going to be able to give them any real wear for much longer, I am going to need to have the lining replaced or repaired next time I have them resoled. Anyone have recommendations for a place to have that done? Any idea on whether or not I am going to run into prices that are close to or more than the boots were new?

Anyone have recommendations for a place to have that done? Any idea on whether or not I am going to run into prices that are close to or more than the boots were new?

Honestly, I'd consider Alden's recrafting service... that's why you buy an Alden... so you can have them restored / resoled on the original last. They'll come back in as close to like-new condition as can possibly be done, using the original factory materials. If it can't be repaired, they'll let you know.

I believe Alden restoration prices are up in the $130-$140 range now.

Honestly, I'd consider Alden's recrafting service... that's why you buy an Alden... so you can have them restored / resoled on the original last. They'll come back in as close to like-new condition as can possibly be done, using the original factory materials. If it can't be repaired, they'll let you know.

I believe Alden restoration prices are up in the $130-$140 range now.

They don't touch the linings. I had these "recrafted" in December. According to what I got back, recrafting=resole and rewelt if you need it, a spotty polish job, new laces, shoe trees, and an Alden catalog.

Well, one of the problems with the linings is that I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone restoring the linings. The issue with the lining is that I believe you'd have to completely deconstruct the shoe in order to replace it properly. There might be a way to patch it, but a replacement is probably very hard to do (if not impossible). This might be why Alden says they won't do it...

You could ask B. Nelson in NYC if they can do it. For the most part, if it's doable, B. Nelson can do it. You'll probably want to speak to Nick if you do.

Thanks. I am aware of the issues with the replacement...and am totally expecting any place that can do it to charge more than the shoes were new, but I was curious if anyone on here had actually explored the options before. Thanks for the B. Nelson tip. I might just have to follow up with Nick, just for the sake of knowing. Thanks again.

Do you mean the canvas lining or the leather heel patch?

I know that leather heel linings can be fixed/patched. The canvas lining in mine is all but disintegrating, but for me, the boots are better without it. For some reason canvas linings make my feet sweat.

Do you mean the canvas lining or the leather heel patch?

I know that leather heel linings can be fixed/patched. The canvas lining in mine is all but disintegrating, but for me, the boots are better without it. For some reason canvas linings make my feet sweat.

Both. It would be nice to fix the heel linings, but they don't concern me. The canvas lining is a bother, but, with the relative thinness of the leather on the Indys, I worry about putting a whole in the shoe around the toe area if I don't have the liner...the toes are already heavily worn from scuffage on the outside and it would be a shame if these boots got to be in a state that was unfit for wear in public.

Also, MiniW, brilliant booths. Worth the wait indeed.

Jason: the crease on the left foot look insane, they sure do look good on denim or pretty much everything

i also want to get a pair of the alden chukka but i am undecide on what color, i like the suede one but i dont know i should go with the tan suede or snuff suede. Anyone has pics on the suede chukka?

by the way, any recommendation for chelsea boot, i'm looking at somewhere between $300-400.