Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

paul, i like the look of the grafters... especially for the price. how's the sizing working out for you?

Mine are UK 8, which is my standard size; compared to other UK 8, they're reasonably roomy; I'd say they run a half size larger than trickers (my Trickers took me a little getting used to, quite tight around the ankles).

Paul T, ive gotten really interested in those Grafters. A budget, workwear Trickers boot is right up my alley.

So, I wonder if you can say something more about the sizing, maybe compared to Converse, other sneakers or shoes? You´d say these are "true to size", but a bit roomy, no need to size up/down?

Paul T, ive gotten really interested in those Grafters. A budget, workwear Trickers boot is right up my alley.

So, I wonder if you can say something more about the sizing, maybe compared to Converse, other sneakers or shoes? You´d say these are "true to size", but a bit roomy, no need to size up/down?

Compared to my other boots/shoes, I didn't size up or down. I twould say 9 1/2(US) in Converse is equivalent to 8 (UK) in the Grafters.

These just arrived today, size 10.5 Stows with Dainite sole.

DSC_0394rez.jpg

I ended up going with the same size as my Grenson Ilkley boots. I think they could be the tiniest bit tighter in the toe box (Grenson's were G but these are the 5 fitting), but it's hard to tell because the leather is still very hard.

My only little gripe is one heel is not perfectly glued tight in one corner (pic 1, pic 2). I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it construction wise or not. Otherwise, they're really beautiful boots imo.

thanks for the info paul, my size would be a UK8 as well then. i'll order some next month when this retardedly expensive month will be over.

Ill take more photos of the boots over the holiday break (I'm away at the moment) and check the sizing more carefully (I'll make sure of my Converse size etc).

overall, the quality of leather and constuction is similar to old Doc Martens - nothing too classy, the leather is OK - but they are great reliable boots that people often mistake for more expensive ones, they're comfortable and I'm confident they'll last a long time. The fit is slightly wider than the Trickers, or else the sizing is slitghtly larger, which means I can get them on and off more quickly! The only thing that bugs me about them is this week they've started to squeak. Very embarrassing.

Oh, and Chicken, magnificent boots!

Nice work Chicken! Welcome back too. They soles are a bit thick for my liking but wonderful work.

To the loose heeled trickers stow owner: You can ask your cobbler to put a couple of extra nails into the heel to make sure it doesn't get worse. My local guy does that sort of thing for free.

yeah, magnificent job on the midsoles. i think he smoothed and restained them and they're spectacular. i think they look better than new.

i think i only had to get new laces once in one year with these semi-dress, as opposed to something like two to three times a year with my indys.

These Chukkas have seen a lot of abuse over the last year and have taken it like champs...I haven't spared them anything but I have taken very good care of them in terms of brushing and buffing. These are going to die from the inside out and probably end up having visible holes because they are at least a half size smaller than they should be, but I enjoy them and they are only getting better with age...couldn't ask for a better pair of beaters.

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

And my LTT Smokejumpers that are amazing boots but too bad-ass for me

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

Those Chukkas are perfect tmadd...Thinking I should get a pair this coming year...Just have to wait and see though...

Here is a link I found to a pair of the Alden NST Boots on a crepe sole...

a-alden-burgundy-big-2.jpg

http://www.j-suplex.com/brandbig/boot/a-alden-burgundy.htm

Like I said many times before, if I could track a pair of these down in a Cigar Shell with the crepe sole like this pair I would never want another boot for the rest of my life...That's my dream boot...

I know some of you have used the repair service that Alden offers for their boots and shoes...I'm in need of new heels and soles for a pair of Indy's and was thinking of using this service since I can't find any shop that I can trust with my boots here in Las Vegas...

I was wondering however if Alden, through using this service, would place a double leather sole and heels on my Indy's if requested...Most of the people I've seen who have used this service seem to only have gotten the general cork soles and Trubalance heels placed on their 405's...I'm really looking to get double leather on these though so if anybody has any idea about this please help me out...

a-alden-burgundy-big-2.jpg

I love the tanker boot! Seems to be a Japanese only offering. I can see what you're saying amlai about not being elegant, but I have two shell boots with leather soles, and I would like a rubber sole to wear in rainy weather (which is not very often here in San Diego). But I like the crepe sole over a commando, seems more unique on an Alden.

I know some of you have used the repair service that Alden offers for their boots and shoes...I'm in need of new heels and soles for a pair of Indy's and was thinking of using this service since I can't find any shop that I can trust with my boots here in Las Vegas...

I was wondering however if Alden, through using this service, would place a double leather sole and heels on my Indy's if requested...Most of the people I've seen who have used this service seem to only have gotten the general cork soles and Trubalance heels placed on their 405's...I'm really looking to get double leather on these though so if anybody has any idea about this please help me out...

I have also wondered about this. I'm gonna need a new set of heels eventually and i'd like to keep the foot balance heel...Isnt the service rather expensive( around 250??) or does that depend on how clapped out your boots are?