Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Almost, no story, I just got the at a thrift story. I guess theres quite a story somewhere though...

Happyhooligan,

it says Sibbly, Detroit. And something else thats unreadable. I figured it to be the maker of the "heel pad", but I guess it makes more sense its the orginal maker.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could find boot shops (Alden, White's, Lone Wolf etc) in the Kansai area?

Shoot, there are so many places in the Kansai region, but it would be safe to say that Osaka has a shitload of stores that carry boots. I would try America Village, Shinsaibashi, Shinmachi, even Umeda. (I think they have a Warehouse store there.) Kobe has a few shops too. My suggestion would be to find a particular store online in the area you are in and then walk around there. You might stumble upon a few gems.

I'm so stoked, I just picked up some Aldens tonight. I was needing black shoes, but they didn't have these in my size in black, but they were such a good deal I decided to get them anyway. This one is slightly scuffed, but I think it's because it was the display model. But still, after taxes and everything they were just $175. If you're gonna be in Chicago soon just check out Hanig's shoes at the Hancock building.

3112612892_f9b02e174e.jpg

3112618202_3433640b25.jpg

Sorry these aren't worn in yet, but you can see my RW's in the background with a little wear. Now I'm gonna have a reason to read this whole thread to see how to properly care for them. BTW, on Alden's website, do you have to order shoe trees separately? Or does "quanitity 1" mean a pair of trees?

Congratulations. Shoe trees come in a pair... I've never heard of them coming as separate left and right.

I'm not sure what color polish those would take (maybe Kiwi mid tan?), but just polish them regularly like any other good shoe and you should be fine. Maybe apply some leather conditioner occasionally as well.

I'm ashamed to say I'm one of those that paid lip service to the sufu boot... that I haven't been to the forum since the great "upgrade"... truth be told, I hate it, the new forum display doesn't play nice with my nosquint extension... anyhow, back to boots.

I tried really hard to get some of my friends who wore Aldens on board for the sufu boot, and lots of them liked the idea, but it always came down to "But my personal finances...." I'm in a similar situation, and right now there are other necessities that I need more, winter clothes for one. On the other hand, soon I'll have some vintage-ish wool pants to go with my 405s and service boot, lol.

Update on my boots too: My 405s are doing very well and creasing quite nicely. I'm glad my post helped somebody else sort out their boot problem. I did notice they looked a tad peckish tonight and gave them a rub with the Obenauf's. The leather just drank the LP right up. One boot was dry before I was done with the other boot. Guess I didn't apply as much as I thought the first time around.

My service boots are the ones that are really coming through. After some initial foot pains, I took a tip from askandy and stuck tongue pads under the creases that were pressing on my toe. Apparently for some people with short toes the toe box stitching prevents the boot from flexing naturally, creating a crease that presses down on the toe. The tongue pads helped a lot, and after a few weeks the toe box is finally beginning to crease, making for a much more comfortable fit. However the leather on the service boots are still breaking in and molding to my feet, so I expect them to get even better in a few months. With a pair of thick merino wool socks, they're really my go-to boots for cold weather.

I'll post photos later when finals are done next week... time to go back and hit the books...

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I could find boot shops (Alden, White's, Lone Wolf etc) in the Kansai area?

As was said... there's a lot going on in Osaka

There is a Warehouse store in Umeda, and another in Minami. Both have some used and deadstock vintage boots. If I remember, the Hinoya Umeda had some boots too. You can find the locations on Indigofan's map page http://indigofan.com/indigofan/labels/maps.html

This pic is from the Umeda store, taken a year ago

IMGP0680.jpg

coleslawyum and scoon; thanks for the shopping tips. I was planning to pick up mostly denim and shirts but guess i'll have to save up some extra cash for boots. If those boots on that picture were in my size, i'd pick them up in a heartbeat!

Those boots 2nd from the right are lovely. Anyone know what they are? They look similarish to the WW1 USMC boots on WW11impressions, but better!

Bit of advice needed... just bought these boots offd a popular internet auction site but i suspect they'll be a bit snug. Do you think these can these be stretched lengthways without ruining the shape of the toe?

2pphs7k.jpg

2e5i1xi.jpg

Just some cheap'n'cheerful shots of my cheap'n'cheerful boots.

Back in the summer I was short of bread when my last pair of whatevers wore out. So I thought I'd take a pnt on there; Brit made, in Northampton, Goodyear-welted leather soles, etc.

They've really done the business; totally waterproof when we went camping, with six inches of mud around most of the site. I was asked if they were Tricker's in their Jermyn St store; of course they're not, the leather is less lustrous and 3-D, the detailing and punchwork of the broguing (if that's a word) is comparatively crude, and they're chunkier and more workmanlike. The leather lining is pretty high quality, though. I've had the leather sole restitched once and augmented with Topy-alike stick ones and a new heel. But all in all, these look as good as, and have lasted twice as well as my last Paul Smith Dealer Brogues. As meantioned before, these are Grafters, Google them and you'll find they're pretty damn good for around £45.

Grafters.jpg

Is that your special order Ed? Congratulations.

I have to say I don't like them personally, but as long as you do, thats all that matters.

Good stuff Paul, I see what you mean about the brogueing, but goodyear welted, leather lined boots for £45!? that is astonishingly cheap. You haven't been up to the factory shop yet then?

For some silly reason you can only get the Red Wing Iron Ranger boots in the original color in Europe and Japan. The marketing manager for Red Wing Germany was kind enough to bring me a pair on a recent business trip to New York. I really dig this color over the darker brown and roughout versions available here in the states. Red Wing said they are planning on having this color later next year which should be really cool.

ironranger.jpgironrangerside.jpg

photo-89.jpg

sexxxxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

These are mine, and they are getting great wear as an actual steel toe boot for work. They may look a little strange here to some, but if you saw them with pants you might change your mind. Or not, but Bill came through in my book bigtime.

These are mine, and they are getting great wear as an actual steel toe boot for work. They may look a little strange here to some, but if you saw them with pants you might change your mind. Or not, but Bill came through in my book bigtime.

I really dig those and think that color combination is an excellent choice for the cap toe...I bet these will age especially well.

That "Amber Harness" color isn't the same as the one's I posted. It's a darker brown.

Sorry, I misread your post! The amber harness were previously unavailable in europe, but now they are here. I had no idea the oro-iginal was unavailable in the US.

So I just got these babies in and I really like them. I was a little unsure of the toe (which looks a little bulbous) but I find it a refreshing contrast to my mostly tapered toe shoe collection.

What I wanted some advice on was resoling. I've had no experience with vibram crepe wedge soles, so I'm not sure what they're supposed to feel like, exactly. But these shoes feel a little stiff. The foam doesn't have the bounce that I was expecting of it. The closest point of reference I have is a pair of Cortez's that I used to wear in college; those had a little spring to them.

Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to replace the soles? Or does the Vibram crepe sole really feel a little stiff? And how much does this usually run? Like $40? I'm guessing I can still find the same make or a similar one from cobblers (I still see this model of Vibram sole on new shoes)

Been missing for a few days...Out of town...

Anyway's I was just reading through the post's about the Sufu x LS x Alden boots and I came up with a few ideas I thought I would throw out there...

It's clear we all wan't a boot that would best rep Sufu and when I think of that the first styles that come to my mind are "Indy" boots and NST...As we all seem to love these two styles...I figured it's only natural for us to do a make up of one of these two design styles right?...

It's also very clear that we want something out of the norm to represent this forum...So like I said here is a couple ideas that I figured I would throw out there...

#1...NST Boot in Brown Alpine Grain Calfskin...Crepe or Lug Sole's...With a reverse Welt...Barie Last of course...This pair would be cheaper as some of you have mentioned that the price point for a pair in Cordovan would be too steep...Also this would def be out of the norm...

#2...For the more dressy boot fans what about an Indy Boot in #8 Shell...Flex Welt...Double Leather Sole...on a Plaza Last...

Both I think would be very different and special in representing this forum...

plaza last with handstitching, I've seen a NST oxford with it from Alden of Carmel I think so that would be possible. Very good thinking. I actually just ordered a pair of boots with stitching so I definitely like the look.

Another idea that came to me is a long-wing high boot in black or #8 shell. It would remond me of some Trickers but with better leather and made in the USA. (however I think this is impossible because Alden doesn't have a last for a balmoral boot). But its an idea right?