Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The iron ranger is offerred in both D and EE widths.... As both the GT and iron ranger run long and narrow, I figured it was worth a shot. The EE's in 8.5 are perfect!! Significantly more comfortable. .... And I tried out the other color, the tan roughout

^^ lovely stuff Edmond! gotta love those horseshoes:D

not sure if anyone is going to be in HK anytime soon, but there's going to be 2 new Alden cordovan boots coming!

--------------------------------------------------------

malibaabm.jpg

I got this too. The new boots are a norwegian front boot (Aberdeen last I think, a slimmish one anyway), and a cordo indy. I tried the norwegian shoe, and it was great, so I'll be very tempted by the boot version... For me it;s a pity they're both AofC-style commando soles, but on the other hand that might save me some money!

I'll be in Hong Kong then anyway, so I'll probably pop down- it might be cool to meet one of the Alden people:).

^^ lovely stuff Edmond! gotta love those horseshoes:D

I got this too. The new boots are a norwegian front boot (Aberdeen last I think, a slimmish one anyway), and a cordo indy. I tried the norwegian shoe, and it was great, so I'll be very tempted by the boot version... For me it;s a pity they're both AofC-style commando soles, but on the other hand that might save me some money!

I'll be in Hong Kong then anyway, so I'll probably pop down- it might be cool to meet one of the Alden people:).

If you can make it to a trunk show with Nate Humble I highly recommend it. He's a world class guy and you'll learn all sorts of great stuff about Alden shoes.

My Alden size is a 12C my AE size is 12D. My GTs are a 12 and a bit wide. If I could get them in a 12B I think they would be perfect.

will have a closer look on what you are wearing, ... 12C in Alden here too! :)

wrong pick in the RW GTs though, dick!

as there is only D, you will need to size down. a US11 fits me with a lot of room in the front and the issue of the wideness is taken care of. 11.5 and 12 are so wide, i swim in them.

keep in mind, that the GTs are totally uncomparable in size and run really big (size down 1 is the usual recommendation).

^^ I've seen this before on Army boots. I've heard them referred to as just 'steel heels', they're one step on from steel toe caps, which are pretty standard on Army/heavy work boots. I'm sure i remember a passage in something (I think russian- tolstoy?) about soldiers heels making sparks on the road. nice image:)

edit- and thanks robin - I'll definitely try to get down, and i'll report here for sure!

dont worry bill these babies will be in a good home.. theyre even on top of a louis vuitton podium...

IMG_0296.jpg

hell yeah!

IMG_0294.jpg

are those the Alden cordovan boots Bill was selling a while back? still regret not buying those but the $$ was a bit more than i could afford at the time....

great shoes Ed!!

Anyone here who does a LOT of walking? Something in the neighborhood of 5-10mi/day? I'm curious what big time walkers are wearing on their feet.

Well, not every day, but every 2 or 3 days or so I walk from Brooklyn, cross the Brooklyn Bridge, and up to Union square then back again, making it around 5 miles, more often than not with a day pack on me. I used to wear Merrell Jungle Mocs, these days I wear my Alden Indy boots.

There was a time when I did walk 10 mi/day in my Merrells taking photos around NYC, and I eventually developed severe knee and ankle pains after a week, to the point I was barely hobbling along.

Right now my Indy boots have been pretty good to me, and no knee/ankle pains have developed. Then again, I haven't started walking 10 mi/day in them.

Anyone here who does a LOT of walking? Something in the neighborhood of 5-10mi/day? I'm curious what big time walkers are wearing on their feet.

I don;t regularly walk that much, but i'd say i walk about 1 1/2 miles a day to and from buses, and just round and about, and at weekends it's often more like 5 a day. Last night (bonfire night) I walked up and down parliament hill drunk in the dark and mud, in my Alden cordovan AF53s- they'll need a bit of tlc over the weekend:D

reposted pics of my 2 most worn-in post-sufu boots, both on rotation, and both only about 4/5months old:

2986758094_41be877a29.jpg

2951361565_e6f4b42160.jpg

I can't imagine someone walking out of that store with either of those shoes.
Which might work out for some of you, because UO discounts pretty steep when they are looking to unload stuff that didn't sell. Looks like their purchasing people are spending too much time on sufu. Also, not 875...looks like the 1907? I think? Not that there's a big difference, however that Norwegian welt (versus the Goodyear welt) is a unique feature.

Any Word from Happy Hooligan on where he got these wwii repros?

he got them on ebay

I think they're from Atthefront.com

I'm wearing them today..

he got them on ebay

I think they're from Atthefront.com

I'm wearing them today..

Are these the exact same ones that atthefront.com sells direct? Because at $110 a pop that would be fairly cheap if they measured up to something like Red Wing Iron Rangers. The price almost scares me, considering atthefront.com also sells repro WWII field gear for $80 a pop. How have these boots been treating you HH?

Are these the exact same ones that atthefront.com sells direct? Because at $110 a pop that would be fairly cheap if they measured up to something like Red Wing Iron Rangers. The price almost scares me, considering atthefront.com also sells repro WWII field gear for $80 a pop. How have these boots been treating you HH?

I'm not positive, but I think so. I got mine for 60 something on the bay...

Wore them again today and I'm really liking them. They only come in a wide width, but they're nice and comfortable. I added a foot pad.

I don't own a pair of the iron rangers but I do own a pair of 405 aldens. The aldens fit better as they come in widths but I'm diggin the army shoes. Not as "dressy" as the Aldens and really comfortable.

I've only bought the M 1941 jacket from at the front and I really like it too so the company seems to be pretty good.

The boots don't say who makes them or where so I can't tell you... but I think you'd be happy with them.

I'll keep them till I can find an original pair in my size.... which means I'll be keeping them for quite a while....

$283.03 after tax... alot :(

but yes they have black, i dont think they had the cherry color

I def couldve gotten these for MUCH cheaper but im just to impatient to wait for any mail to come :o

Isn't there that place out in Oregon, Baker Shoe, that sells GTs and Iron Rangers for like $200 a pair, free shipping? Anybody ever order from them? How's their service?

Ah, just went to their website and checked. They jacked up the prices by 30 bucks each...