Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

no no no, danish engineers :-)

im only in for 4 months, then I have too figure what i want to do, maybe i'll join the danish navy seals, then i'll need some matterhorns fo sho...

PICT0500.jpg

Because Calden was asking about the change of #8 shell over time, I decided to try an experiment with my #8 shell Indy boots. The hypothesis was that exposing #8 shell to sunlight would cause it to lose vibrancy and change towards brown / light brown color. So for the last month or so, I've been leaving my boots in a window that gets good sun exposure in the mornings. Before I started this process, the boots had lost their purple-ish cast and was more of a deep burgundy. This is what the shoes look like now (with a pair of FlatHead F310s):

sunexposed8shellnx3.jpg

I rather like the new color. They don't quite look this light brown when not under direct light, but actually have more of a mahogany shade to them.

Because Calden was asking about the change of #8 shell over time, I decided to try an experiment with my #8 shell Indy boots. The hypothesis was that exposing #8 shell to sunlight would cause it to lose vibrancy and change towards brown / light brown color. So for the last month or so, I've been leaving my boots in a window that gets good sun exposure in the mornings. Before I started this process, the boots had lost their purple-ish cast and was more of a deep burgundy. This is what the shoes look like now:

sunexposed8shellnx3.jpg

I rather like the new color. They don't quite look this light brown when not under direct light, but actually have more of a mahogany shade to them.

For us to truly grasp the evolution, I believe it will be necessary for you to post a side by side picture with your Cigar Indy boots. Those look beautiful, and are making it really really hard for me not to pull the trigger on a pair. It might be time for an all Indy rotation.

Because Calden was asking about the change of #8 shell over time, I decided to try an experiment with my #8 shell Indy boots. The hypothesis was that exposing #8 shell to sunlight would cause it to lose vibrancy and change towards brown / light brown color. So for the last month or so, I've been leaving my boots in a window that gets good sun exposure in the mornings. Before I started this process, the boots had lost their purple-ish cast and was more of a deep burgundy. This is what the shoes look like now (with a pair of FlatHead F310s):

sunexposed8shellnx3.jpg

Wait, so these were #8?

Wow, something to look forward to. I love the burgundy, but I wouldn't eventually having that color on my feet.

^Îve been looking for low cut 875 style shoes, but I dont think RW produce them at the moment.

On the japanese market I think South2 West8 (s2w8) produced a shoe like that this s/s, but I cant find any links right now.

Let me know if you find any RWs in that style.

Maybe these?

http://www.shoebuy.com/red-wing-boardwalk/234844/502953

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/28938612/c/128890.html

Not the exact same shoe, but they're definitely similar in style to the 875s.

^ÃŽve been looking for low cut 875 style shoes, but I dont think RW produce them at the moment.

On the japanese market I think South2 West8 (s2w8) produced a shoe like that this s/s, but I cant find any links right now.

Let me know if you find any RWs in that style.

never seen the 875 low cut in the u.s., but RW used to carry the low cut Worx with the 875 style. The color is more toward yellow/orange mix. But the quality is much cheaper, i think they retail at about 50 or 60 usd. And was imported. Try it on once and they were at least half size larger than the 875 boot. So i guess if you find a 875 low cut, you might need to size down half a size.

If you're looking for a cheap version that's most likely (though i can't promise) higher quality than those RWI versions check out Duluth Trading Company's version:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-footwear/mens/footwear/97788.aspx?feature=Product_48

I forget quite how I figured it out, but I think I determined awhile back they Duluth's boots are actually made by Thorogood, which is a division of Weinbrenner, and of completely unknown quality to me... but here's the link:

http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNavCategory.cfm?catid=12&subcatid=15&level3=70

(for whatever reason, it seems that Weinbrenner/Thorogood no longer has the ankle-height version on their website, at least that I can find. But their other boots are there for comparison with the ones on Duluth's site.)

For us to truly grasp the evolution, I believe it will be necessary for you to post a side by side picture with your Cigar Indy boots.

I'll see what I can do. I'm a bit busy during the hours when there's natural light coming into my apartment this week, so it may take a week or so...

Wait, so these were #8?

Yep... #8. #8 seems to change a lot when exposed to sunlight. When sun bleached, you can see the color variation in the material underneath all the polish / dyes. The way #8 looks this way also changes dramatically depending on lighting conditions. I'll probably let them continue to bleach out while there's still fairly intense sunlight and see what happens.

^^^these are absolutely beautiful Amlai- inspiring!

I agree #8 looks dramatically different under different lighting- sometimes under bright light it looks like several different tones over different parts of the show, and the colour can look anything from really purple to a deep cigarry brown. I don't think I'll deliberately lighten mine like you have, but I'm certainly looking forward to the way they'll change with time and light

11iid82.jpgkchy8h.jpg

Two shoe related painting by Van Gogh in the 1880s. The first one remind me of Bill's alden chukkas. To me the boot has a rubber heel and leather sole with some stitching in the center which is very similar to...is it vibram 705?? Anyway, believe this two painting is interesting, just to share with you guys

11iid82.jpgkchy8h.jpg

Two shoe related painting by Van Gogh in the 1880s. The first one remind me of Bill's alden chukkas. To me the boot has a rubber heel and leather sole with some stitching in the center which is very similar to...is it vibram 705?? Anyway, believe this two painting is interesting, just to share with you guys

very nice FBF! +rep for bringing a bit of culture into the mix:D