Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I can;t give you a definite answer- I'd be interested to hear anyone's information on this too:)

But I've been told by a friend who knows about these things that Monkey boots were cheap construction-workers' boots that skinheads who couldn't afford Doc Marten's bought. They've since acquired cult classic status, so other brands have remade them (like the trickers fre$co quoted below), probably better quality than the originals.

please correct me if i'm wrong, or if anyone knows anything more

I'd echo that... they weren't solely skinhead wear, they were popular in the 80s and early 90s, too, as simple utilitarian footwear, in the vein of Docs, but with more flexible soles, ridged or command-style sole, and a very low heel. And they were very cheap. You'd buy them from the same workwear shops you could buy STF Levi's or Docs, like Jay's workwear in Surrey Quays.

More recently I've seen monkey boots which are more of a desert boot shape, but traditionally, they would have had a higher ankle, much like Docs, or indeed the Trickers.

Anyone have any experience with the Filson 902 Highlander, or any Filson boots for that matter? What I like about this this boot is the water resistant leather, the wool lining and being made in the USA. Oil-tanned leather isn't the most attractive though, but I haven't seen them in person. Any thoughts?

pfilson12232971p275wyh7.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the Filson 902 Highlander, or any Filson boots for that matter? What I like about this this boot is the water resistant leather, the wool lining and being made in the USA. Oil-tanned leather isn't the most attractive though, but I haven't seen them in person. Any thoughts?

I handled those in person at their flagship store and they're very nice. I have their wellington boots, and my guess is that they're made by the same manufacturer: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1203253&postcount=8472

Thanks robin. I checked out Double H's website and didn't see any similar models in their "Made in USA" section so I guess I'm going with the Filson ones.

edit: Well, the Insulated 9" logger seems like it could be a good winter boot:

dh9762qf2.jpg

$175 is pretty reasonable, though I think the Filson boots are nicer.

Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to track down a pair of Alden Chukkas in Cigar shell in a 6.5? I have checked all the usual suspects that have online presences, and theshoemart appears to be the only place, but it doesn't come close to my sizes. Thanks in advance.

Tyler

I saw those, and while they do look nice, I would much rather have picked up the #8 version that Tom did awhile ago.

Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to track down a pair of Alden Chukkas in Cigar shell in a 6.5? I have checked all the usual suspects that have online presences, and theshoemart appears to be the only place, but it doesn't come close to my sizes. Thanks in advance.

Tyler

They have these at Tassels in Hong Kong (www.tassels.com.hk, but not a very good website). Since it;s an Asian store I would guess they'd have smaller sizes, though I don;t know.

Hi Young Punch- these are beautiful. I know Tassels is getting these in next month in #8- I'm definitely planning on trying some on.

don't want to sound like a commercial for Tassels or anything... I just happen to be in Hong Kong right now, and they carry Alden so I've been in a couple of times. I don;t think they do web orders, but I'd guess they;d sell you some over the phone if you know size etc... shipping from HK to US would be a lot (and a bit stupid since they;re US made boots!), but if it;s the only way to get your size then it might be worth it.., no VAT in Hong Kong either:)

Keep an eye on their factory shop - they do come up with odd items now and then. At the mo it's just the 7-hole monkey...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trickers-Factory-Shop-Monkey-boot-size-6-1-2-US_W0QQitemZ200255372860QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200255372860&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

I'm glad I can feel the love for Tricker's here. Altho I'm puzzled they're selling more standard items on eBay... I bought a pair of Marron Antique Stow for £150 - must cut down on the number of people who'd pay £280 on Jermyn St.

If you like Tricker's it's worth checking out Grafters - they do a bargain Brogue boot, Goodyear Welted sole. They're chunkier than the Stow, slightly more workwear look.I have those as my utility boots; external leather is OK, internal leather is much better for some reason, but they're damn waterproof, which has been useful this summer in Britain.

http://www.shoeandboot.co.uk/rural/dealer-boots/basics-range/NEW!-GRAFTERS-BROGUE-7-EYE-DERBY-BOOT.html

I am a 9US in redwings and 8 1/2UK in trickers boots. If you are a EE then get the wide fitting trickers, I believe it is a 6 (5 is normal width), I sold a pair of Stow because they were too narrow.

I also wear 9uk in C&J, 8.5EEE or 9E in alden and 9E in whites

I'm glad I can feel the love for Tricker's here. Altho I'm puzzled they're selling more standard items on eBay... I bought a pair of Marron Antique Stow for £150 - must cut down on the number of people who'd pay £280 on Jermyn St.

This puzzled me too, but when they started the ebay shop they were doing them for £90 which is what they used to sell them for in the northampton factory shop. I asked David about it when they put up the price and he said the retailers were complaining about the low prices. If you go to the factory shop for custom stuff or bespoke it's also a lot cheaper.