Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

seems like you already have an answer in your mind....

if jeans > function

then alden boot > alden shoe...

if you ask me , i like the chukka more,

for captoe, i like tricker's captoe more

but still, i tall depends how often will you be attending different function in the future?

would the chukka boot work well with a single button suit+ black tie affair?

i think it depends on the pants, if the leg opening is too narrow/small, it wont, because then you will have stacking which i dont think is the way you want it...otherwise, if the pants can cover up at least the ankle of the boot, i think would be ok

post a pic before you attend the function so we know how your final decision is

of definitely nos tacking just up to the heel part of the boot all the way staright the slack would fit something like a s5000vx a slithly slimmer on the thighs

i was actually contemplating a similar situation and on both thesartorialist and styleforum there was a bit of discussion about boots with suits. i think basically the conclusion is that if you are wearing a good suit and have swag then it's doable, otherwise you just look tacky, like you couldnt afford to buy shoes for the event. dont think that will be the case with you though.

i was actually contemplating a similar situation and on both thesartorialist and styleforum there was a bit of discussion about boots with suits. i think basically the conclusion is that if you are wearing a good suit and have swag then it's doable, otherwise you just look tacky, like you couldnt afford to buy shoes for the event. dont think that will be the case with you though.

but wearing a pair of dressy pointed toe slip on (henry??)boot with a suit, i think it would look pretty good, saw someone wear like that, jsut didnt snap..

i think ankle boots would have the same effect as a chelsea, whereas the chukka would have a good balance of being weareable with both suit and jeans.

I really think they're all rather versatile though. How is your suit cut? Aldens would contrast heavily with a slim suit or something fashion forwardish. Those chukkas are rather heavy looking.

is alden what you're set on?

if anything i would just grab a 2060/61 which is a cordovan captoe oxford shoe in the "slim" aberdeen last.

the alden captoe boots on a plaza last in black cordovan are the AF60s from Alden of Carmel. They have a commando sole though, subtle as it might be.

The regular 4060/61 alden captoe boots are on the grant last which isn't really dress, although I'm sure it can be done. The toe on that last is very bulbous and in my perspective, almost workboot about it.

mmm my comment about the chelseas wasnt directed specifically at ed, just regarding pairing boots with suits in general. with that said i agree with all of leonards posts 100%. it seems you're pretty set on a boot though, as opposed to a shoe, and if this is just a one off event i totally feel a captoe oxford boot with the rest of your usual clothing

ohh man can someone point me to a single leather sole , cordovan balck , barrie last or tru balance doesnt matter and boots please help!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that the chukkas, though a bit "chunky" can look great with a suit, esp in cordovan.

That said, I find the Plaza last to be much sleeker and even better for a more dressy look. Boot or shoe.

I just got these in black calf

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&vendor=ALD&template=men&browse_vendor=1&item=ALD_m_WING_TIP_BAL_OXFORD&ps=8&start=52&rpro=

they look great with suits but really badass with jeans too!

They also come in cordovan....

Just to throw my opinion in the great edmond suit debate. I looked at the Alden cordovan chukka to wear with a suit. In the end I think it's just too heavy looking and wide to really look sleek although my suit trousers have a bit of a taper in them.

If you don't mind the slightly clumpy look and think your suit can cope with it, then they will be fine.

If you want a single leather sole chukka that is a bit sleeker then Crockett and Jones are a good option. I also wear my C&J Skyes with a suit from time to time.

i was thinking of just getting a black indy and resole it to single leather and off i go hah!

I'm going to throw my 2 cents into this. I love the Indy boot... I really do, but I would shudder at the thought of pairing it with a suit. The Indy boot just isn't dressy enough. First I want to say that if you're really going to a black tie event, then the truth is that you should probably be wearing a black (likely patent leather) balmoral shoe, e.g. the 9373. That aside, if you really want a boot in black shell, I think your best options are the AF59, AF91, AF60, or the 4065.

The AF59 I think would suit your interest in a chukka boot. I think the Plaza last is on is much better than the Barrie last for wearing with a suit. And with blind eyelets, is pretty sleek and like most dress shoes.

I'm not familiar with the Leydon last, but what's nice about the AF91 is the fact that it has blind eyelets. Those blind eyelets make the boot look more like a dress shoe than a boot (and when covered up with your pant legs is hard to distinguish). And the wingtip is a classic American dress shoe. Interestingly, the wingtip is also historically considered a "country" shoe, which is where brougeing started and as such is less formal than a captoe. Quite a few people have been wearing wingtips with denim.

The AF60's, which are also on the Plaza last and would be my top choice, but unfortunately have the metal eyelets. The same goes for the 4065. I personally don't like the look of the Grant last that much, but others seem to really like it. I've worn both of these styles (AF60 / 4060) with both dress trousers and denim myself... no suits though. I usually will wear my Edward Green Shannon boots or a nicer shoe if I'm going to go to the trouble of wearing a suit.

Unfortunately, none of these are on a single leather sole. I wish that Alden of Carmel would stop abusing the commando sole so much.

Yeah, don't wear an indy boot with a suit!

I like the wingtips that Amlai posted, the commando sole is unfortunate though.

these are nice:

plst1.jpg

Alden #907 from leathersoul

I don't know how difficult these are to obtain in black or any other colour but the Edward Green Lommond and Shannon II are supremely beautiful boots. Pictures from leathersoul

lo1.jpg

sh1.jpg