Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Okay, this is kind of a long shot. Lastnight (around 2am) I was browsing SuFu and came across these ankle high, leather round toe boots. They were $300 on the linked site. They weren't Aldens or Redwings I know for sure.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm talking about, ive searched the pages with no success.

crownzip: Another great looking pair of vintage boots! What do you use on them for leather care? I'd love to see a shot of the soles on these, too!

immelspin: Welcome -- nice photos! Do the Maltons have the same uppers as the Stow, or is there some difference that's escaping me? I'm not well versed on Tricker's.

either Pecards or russet brown meltonian shoe cream.

those look awesome crownzip, remember seeing a very very similar one in hk back when i was little. And i went in the store and ask how much is it. The owner told me $3000 hkd and i was like...shit. Cuz he said is somehting WWII version...anyway...very very nice and meltonian are the best

any advice on finding larger sizes in the shoes that are discussed in this thread? I've got a size 14 foot in most shoes (15 in others), and I'm looking to invest in combat boots/desert boots, etc.

advice? zappos only has limited styles and brands. Looking to find other sources.

thanks!

I found out from Blackbird that they are custom made by Esquivel in un-dyed leather and will retail for $700-800. Blackbird said they would send me more info and pics so I'll update here with any relevant information.

The fact that they are un-dyed is very intriguing; one would think that they will age much like our un-dyed belts, wallets, etc.

The question of where something similar can be found still stands.

www.esquivelshoes.com

Okay, this is kind of a long shot. Lastnight (around 2am) I was browsing SuFu and came across these ankle high, leather round toe boots. They were $300 on the linked site. They weren't Aldens or Redwings I know for sure.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm talking about, ive searched the pages with no success.

Charles Tyrwhitt?

I found out from Blackbird that they are custom made by Esquivel in un-dyed leather and will retail for $700-800. Blackbird said they would send me more info and pics so I'll update here with any relevant information.

The fact that they are un-dyed is very intriguing; one would think that they will age much like our un-dyed belts, wallets, etc.

The question of where something similar can be found still stands.

www.esquivelshoes.com

not impress with those in the website...especially with the price that high, undyed leather boot...just seem little bit off..anyway, keep us update with those undye boot . thx

any advice on finding larger sizes in the shoes that are discussed in this thread? I've got a size 14 foot in most shoes (15 in others), and I'm looking to invest in combat boots/desert boots, etc.

advice? zappos only has limited styles and brands. Looking to find other sources.

thanks!

Zappos has a simple search feature (click on "SEARCH") whereby you can search based on size and style. 30 seconds later, you'll get a long list of boots they offer in 14, including the actual classic Clarks Desert Boot:

827-11628-3.jpg

^ ok, those do look better than the one shown on the site, and i guess the blackbird guy probably wear those for...maybe one month??

no offense here but with the price of those over $700...i would go with a "custom made" white's semi dress or the Alden chukka, just my opinion....

oh i agree, the price is a little outrageous. however, where else can you get un-dyed leather shoes/boots? I don't think that's an option from White's, Alden or Russell, and I'm sure I can't afford a bespoke pair of boots from any manufacturer. I couldn't even afford those Esquivels on sale.

^Those boots remind me of the unfinished leather wallets or belts on the evo leather thread. There's lots of awesome-looking broken-in leather there, and the idea of a shoe with that particular look would be interesting. But I wonder if they'd change in the same way over time, since shoes are exposed to the weather and damage a lot more than a wallet or belt, but less to the oils of skin. It's also a little weird that the leather soles are finished, compared to the unfinished uppers.

When not wearing 1950's combat boots I also like wearing WWII issue service shoes. They're great for summer time when it's a little warm for combat boots.

serviceshoes.jpg

Are there places to get these aside from ebay?

crownzip?…

GregNYC?…

airfrog?…

would you guys approve something like this be worn with a single button black tie affair?

1339.jpg

alden chukka

or something like this?

2160.jpg

alden cap toe

or...

a captoe cordovan boot?

stb1.jpg

was looking into those boots but wont they look to rugged for the function? i hate those shoes in the middle what would you say? cause i want to use them after with jeans. hah!

was looking into those boots but wont they look to rugged for the function? i hate those shoes in the middle what would you say? cause i want to use them after with jeans. hah!

seems like you already have an answer in your mind....

if jeans > function

then alden boot > alden shoe...