Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Pretty. I like that rivet. Subtle but unique.

This is the type of boot I am looking for, Redwing GT design but made to White's quality standards. Is there a price on the site?

I recently had a pair of boots that needed a complete resoling. I went to Cesar's in Manhattan, and was really disappointed in how sloppy the new stitching on the welt looks. They were very nice and helpful, and other aspects of their work was perfectly fine, but the stitching is the most visible aspect of a cobbler's work on a job like this, and I have to admit that it bothers me a lot. I know it is just a cosmetic issue, but if I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a well-made pair of boots, I'd like the quality of my repairs to be in line with the quality of my footwear.

Anyway, I know that several Manhattan cobblers have been discussed here, including Alex's, Minas, and B. Nelson (Yelp says that they've closed for tax problems?), but I I'm just wondering if anyone has had specific experiences with these or other cobblers in NYC in terms of welt re-stitching on their shoes. Has anyone felt that their cobbler really does good work in this respect? I follow the hukurokuju blog and really admire the craftsmanship there, but unfortunately I won't be jetting to Japan anytime soon! Thanks as always, guys!

B. Nelson (Yelp says that they've closed for tax problems?)

Unless it has happened again, they're open for business. B. Nelson has always done a good job on my shoes, though I've only used them for dress shoes and not any of my boots. I assume that they'd do just as good a job on those as can be evidenced by Greg's Superleather Indy boots.

Looks like J.Crew has rolled out another specially-made RW boot, an 877 Irish Setter:

I guess they must've done well with their previous RW collaboration...

I stopped in J.Crew today and the Red Wings fake distressing looks pretty bad. Also, xchen over at styleforum pointed out that you can get them new directly from a Red Wing store if there is one near you in the exact width you want and save over $100.

http://redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1044

That's right. They are plain old 877s but they have changed out a few of the tags to the ones used back in the 1950s. They also have the old logo on them, which is a simple "Red Wing" stamped into the leather high up on the shaft. J. Crew loves to make rip offs that aren't as good as the real thing and jack up the prices so I'd expect this to be the same. On their other style of Red Wings boots they've raised the price but ~$30 since last fall when they were $198.

Either way, here's a pic of the J. Crews vs. some 3 year old 877s I found in a vintage shop.

J. Crew x Red Wings

rwjc.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

and the tags that J. Crew replaced to add a more vintage touch.

Unless it has happened again, they're open for business. B. Nelson has always done a good job on my shoes, though I've only used them for dress shoes and not any of my boots. I assume that they'd do just as good a job on those as can be evidenced by Greg's Superleather Indy boots.

Thanks for the reminder, amlai -- I hadn't thought of the Superleather Indys. I just went back and looked at them, and the work does look excellent. Greg, do you happen to remember whether B. Nelson kept the original welt, or whether they switched it for a new one?

I'm taking a trip to a Red Wing's store this Saturday. From what I've seen, their pricing seems to be pretty sporadic, is their a general pricepoint for their leather boots, or does it really depend on the model?

Just so I know what I'm getting into...

I'm taking a trip to a Red Wing's store this Saturday. From what I've seen, their pricing seems to be pretty sporadic, is their a general pricepoint for their leather boots, or does it really depend on the model?

Just so I know what I'm getting into...

I called the Red Wings store in Hackensack, NJ a few times. They said they didn't stock any moc-toe boots. Being in a mall, they might be specializing in the fashion-style models that RW thought could revitalize the company....

I called the Red Wings store in Hackensack, NJ a few times. They said they didn't stock any moc-toe boots. Being in a mall, they might be specializing in the fashion-style models that RW thought could revitalize the company....

Their prices depend on the model. The cheapest US source I know of is Sherman Brothers. I ordered Gentleman Travelers for $216 shipped.

I've been to that store twice, and it is part of a strip mall. The majority of the stock there is actually work boots, including a number of moc-toes, but by work boots I mean stuff like this:

202.jpg

Although there are a number of what I assume you mean when you say fashion-style models, along the lines of this:

4613.jpg

I would only add an obvious observation, and that is that although many of the boots we admire on this thread are inspired by classic work boots,

875.jpg

the vast majority of real-life workers out there wear boots like the one in the first picture for very practical reasons. And so, as much as I hate to say it, the RWs we discuss here would probably be considered "fashion" models -- albeit of a different sort -- too! Just my two cents...

jg6burg5ey0.th.jpg

Just Arrived !!

Burgundy Plain Oxford

Four Eyelet Plain Blucher Oxford - Plaza Last

Features burgundy soft calfskin, and Alden's single leather flexible outsoles.

Available in D width.

Note: This shoe is available exclusively through J. Gilbert Footwear, Seattle.

J. Gilbert Footwear, 2025 First Avenue, Seattle, Tel.206-441-1182

Note: The pictured plain oxford is made using the following high quality Alden construction and materials: Full leather linings, leather insoles, cork mid-soles, Alden's flexible single leather outsoles, true Goodyear welt construction, and steel shank for long lasting comfort and support.

No sole shot. Which is surprising since Alden Carmel typically shows the entirety of the shoe. No price either. Call J. Gilbert for that. Has to be $400-450. That shoe is effin sharp. If I wasn't holding out to see some other things first, I'd be on the phone.

Needed to share this somewhere: I thrifted a pair of Tricker Stow's down the road from my work yesterday for $15. They need a little love but for $15 who's gonna argue.

They're a tan suede, will post picks later if anyone is interested.

There is a Red Wing store in Bergenfield NJ. About a 15 minute drive from Hackensack. I am pretty sure this store focuses on workwear so they will most likely stock the moc-toe.

Regarding the burgundy Alden bluchers above, they are about $435. They cost more than the regular stock calfskin models as they're on the flex welt (a single, durable leather sole that's been treated with lots of oils), they're a special makeup for J. Gilbert, and the leather is softer than their usual calfskin - I think Tom Park referred to it as lady calf in one of his posts. I'd already have a pair but they sold out of my size quickly. ;_;