Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

yeah, for 450 euros, you could buy two pairs of indys here in the US.

but same kind of thing in japan, too. white's semi dresses are ¥78,000+ for example. and it's really difficult to find indys in the first place. don't think there's any official store there carrying 405s.

It seems that the main reason to get Alden shoes in either Japan or from Anatomica in France (if it fits well) is because most of the shoes are on the modified last. The modified last is not available to Alden New England dealers, but is available at Alden orthopedic retailers. This severely limits the available selection here in the US. So, if you want a shoe on the modified last, you have to pay the higher Japanese (and presumably Anatomica's) price. This restriction protects the respective markets. Otherwise, buying from the US seems to be a wise decision.

once you go with the modified last you won't consider any other alden. i learned the hard way buying the split toes on the bulky sloppy fitting barre last after getting the navy high boots and cap toes.

the styles made for Anatomica are exclusive to them from what i understand and I think all styles are on the narrow arched modified last. don't remember seeing any loafers or 405 boots there. they do have a boot similar to the 405 boot without the mocc toe and in a very nice close to natural cordovan color i have never seen on anything else....when i called last they said they only had a couple pairs left and none in my size (10). price in US $ is around $1000.

It seems that the main reason to get Alden shoes in either Japan or from Anatomica in France (if it fits well) is because most of the shoes are on the modified last. The modified last is not available to Alden New England dealers, but is available at Alden orthopedic retailers. This severely limits the available selection here in the US. So, if you want a shoe on the modified last, you have to pay the higher Japanese (and presumably Anatomica's) price. This restriction protects the respective markets. Otherwise, buying from the US seems to be a wise decision.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_stalkingtracking/laramie_oneida_tracker.html

anyone have any experience with these russel chukkas?

Been eyeballing these myself... The boarhide is really nice though, we have a swatch of it from the Russell custom order kit... If you do serious city walking, the boarhide soles aren't for you though,...or you'll be resoling often

great coleslaw! love those wesco's!!!!

ive only started wearing work boots last august.. so.. there,

mrs.witch i sense something .. hmm...

huh? Why so defensive? I would have thought with your VAST knowledge of workwear and having collected denim for so many years that you would have been wearing "work" boots for a much longer time.

Yes, What more can I say about those chukkas Bill? They are beauts.

Thanks for that info Partytaco and Amlai. Very interesting and it atleast explains why the price is high. Next time I go to Paris I will have a look at anatomica, although I highly doubt I will buy anything there.

Been eyeballing these myself... The boarhide is really nice though, we have a swatch of it from the Russell custom order kit... If you do serious city walking, the boarhide soles aren't for you though,...or you'll be resoling often

thanks for the input bill. I might pull the trigger on these soon. Will post pics if I do

Also I'll be in LA next week. Want to stop by the store...

thanks for the input bill. I might pull the trigger on these soon. Will post pics if I do

Also I'll be in LA next week. Want to stop by the store...

Come on through! I'll have those leather swatches for you to play with

Partytaco - Those Gokey, 1905s and Alden Navy Boots are great! I've gotta get me some of the Navy boots. I think I'll ask Ralph.

I had some knee-high snake boots about 12 years ago. Looked like yours but higher. They were expensive, but I gave them away before my footwear enthusiasm went into high gear!

Speaking of Alden, I left my number with Ralph at the NYC store. He's gonna call me when the black Indies arrive.

I came across an article in USA Today about Red Wing from last fall. Here's an excerpt:

Ironically, Red Wing's traditional work boots seem to have caught on in Japan without the company purposely luring Japanese buyers, Hager said.

"I think Red Wing has been big in Asia for at least 10 years, but as far as I know they never catered to it. They just kept plugging along doing their work boots," he said.

Twelve percent of Red Wing's $400 million in annual sales are overseas, but Murphy wants to see that grow to 20 percent. His goal is for casuals to be a "significant part" of the company's business in five years, he said.

Murphy said the success of Red Wing's more traditional-looking boots in Japan and Europe is going to influence the look of its casual shoes in the U.S.

"The more we capture that flavor, the better we do. And that's because it is much more authentic," he said. He noted on a recent visit to Amsterdam he saw a man and a woman working at a trendy shoe store, each wearing Red Wing boots aimed at engineers.

The entire article can be seen here.

IMG_2574.jpg

those are so close to what my idea of the optimal pair of boots are... please, give me the details! for how long have you worn them, how did you wear them (hiking, running, walking...??), and how did you taken care of them? are they breaking down or will they be whole for several more years to come, of what you would guess?

Hey all,

I'm looking to order some ultimate Indys from Tom at Leathersoul and I'm trying to pin

down my size. I wear 9 1/2 in Alden chukkas (Barrie last) and 10 in Alden's Plaza last.

I'm thinking I'd be a 9 1/2 but if someone who owns these and other Alden lasts (Amlai?) could chime in that would be so helpful. Thanks!

ps: Bill, those chukkas are amazing! Such a cool color, nice one....

I'm thinking I'd be a 9 1/2 but if someone who owns these and other Alden lasts (Amlai?) could chime in that would be so helpful. Thanks!

Sounds about right. I don't have anything in Barrie, but the consensus is that Barrie

and Trubalance are sized similarly. For most people, size down a half size from Plaza. My size in Trubalance is 8.5D and my size in Plaza is 9D or 9.5C.

quick question. how long does it take for a pair of cordovan boots to soften up if i were to wear them every day? theyve been brutal these past few days.

Varies for me. Some pinches go away after 1-2 days. Others have been very stubborn. Most of mine have become very comfortable. I have a pair that still isn't comfortable and I've had them a while (admittedly I don't wear them often, but I figured walking a mile each day for a couple of weeks would've broken them in).

What specifically is painful?

just certain odd spots. for example my left pinky toe... not the right... just the left, man.

walking around the house isnt bad. but walking from 42nd street to 28th is pretty intense.

I got them wednesday.. and they are definitely not as bad as they were fresh off the box. but i was just wondering how long it would take for them to become smooth operators. ehh maybe another week or two im guessing. and do you know if cordovan gets real real soft eventually?

they are alden af60 by the way. thanks though fellas

Varies for me. Some pinches go away after 1-2 days. Others have been very stubborn. Most of mine have become very comfortable. I have a pair that still isn't comfortable and I've had them a while (admittedly I don't wear them often, but I figured walking a mile each day for a couple of weeks would've broken them in).

What specifically is painful?

just certain odd spots. for example my left pinky toe... not the right... just the left, man.

and do you know if cordovan gets real real soft eventually?

they are alden af60 by the way. thanks though fellas

Interesting... the ones that I can't get to break in properly are my AF60s. However, for me, it is the left boot which when flexing comes down on the big knuckle of my big toe. I think the reason it has been so hard for me to break mine in is because the toe cap stiffener ends right about there.

In any case, yes, eventually cordovan gets amazingly soft. My #8 shell Indy boots are fantastic.