Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

aha. i've been waiting for your appearance here. man, are those only like 1 or 2 months old? can't wait to see what happens to your boots after a year.

yeah, took your advice about the polish. But it's really hard for me to coat it evenly for some reason. I applied a lighter polish a while ago and don't plan on polishing these for a while. I get compliments on them all the time. Now only if I had money for the cordovan ones. Maybe next year.

Oh how I hate gum......

Those soles are leather surely? I guess you can rub the gum with an ice cube and scrape it off when it is cold? I wouldn't worry about scratching the soles anyway as you'll be walking on them.

Or put the shoe in the freezer.

You can get gum off while it's soft by dabbing at it with another gob of gum. The gum sticks to itself. This way you can get little pieces and even the film - stuff that won't come off by chipping off frozen pieces...

I'm going to ask this age old question again.....

White's semi-dress sizing - How is it?

Greg, you might be ably to help me out here as we are a pretty similar size.

I have red wing 875 in 9.5D which I think are too big, probably 9D or 9E would be better. Alden Indies I have 8.5EEE and could probably go with EE. Trickers I wear 8.5(uk) wide fitting, I think this translates to a US9E.

I was thinking probably a 9E in semi dress.

Any comments?

i ordered some grenson albert a couple of weeks ago and had pretty much decided to send them back cos i wanted the money to spend on some new jeans. however, when they arrived i was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were and now i dont know whether to keep or return!

couple of pics:

barbados2008003xw8.jpg

barbados2008004sx2.jpg

barbados2008005rj9.jpg

Fre$co, I wear same size Tricker's (8.5 UK, 5 width) and I believe my White's are size 9 US. They were custom fitted but I remember the lady saying my feet are size 9.

You could find a White's dealer near you and get them custom fitted...

Thanks for the advice demonito and braidkid. Yeah the ideal thing would be to get fitted but i can't do that here in London. My intention was to order them through Bill and have them delivered when I am visiting NYC in April but I'm not sure it will work out now.

I wondered if there were stockists in NYC or Vegas as those are the places I will visit in April. Do dealers hold stocks of the standard fits and colours or are they all made to order? If I could just go in a shop and buy them that would be great.

Nice grensons Percy.

They're a bit slow on the draw... the various Men's clothing forums (SF, AAAC) have been advocating this for years now. The only thing you probably shouldn't wear brown shoes with are black pants.

I don't know. The only thing I think brown shoes look good with are navy suits. I don't own any navy suits, only black and greys, therefore I stay away from brown shoes as cool as they do look when aged.

Me too. Among the wristwatch collectors I know, there are many very wealthy people. One guy has 400 watches, the cheapest of which is $4K, the most expensive like $250K. Sometimes they try to dress down and look regular, say with regular Levis and an untucked shirt. But look at their shoes, and they're always expensive. Not always stylish in the way of SF or AA or STLBWA, but expensive or designer nevertheless. Expensive watch, expensive shoes, and the rest intended as kind of a disguise.

I call this "the Jay Leno." Money can't buy class, yo.

i ordered some grenson albert a couple of weeks ago and had pretty much decided to send them back cos i wanted the money to spend on some new jeans. however, when they arrived i was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were and now i dont know whether to keep or return!

Nice shoes. If you don't already have some wingtips, I would keep them, they look good.

I find myself getting waaay more shoes than denim. I've pretty much sold off every pair of jeans I have except 4, and yet I have over 30 pairs of dress shoes. One of the main reasons is that its better for your shoes to rotate, while its better for your jeans to just keep wearing the same ones over and over.

I don't know. The only thing I think brown shoes look good with are navy suits. I don't own any navy suits, only black and greys, therefore I stay away from brown shoes as cool as they do look when aged.

I think it depends on how light the grey is. Dark grey can be mistaken for black and there I'd agree. But, on a light grey suit, I think brown looks pretty good.

They're a bit slow on the draw... the various Men's clothing forums (SF, AAAC) have been advocating this for years now. The only thing you probably shouldn't wear brown shoes with are black pants.

Very late, it's really funny that they are even posting this at all... I think brown shoes and black pants looks really good in certian situations I guess, all the girls in NY with their skinny black jeans and brown boots look pretty damn good to me.

Brown shoes with grey looks great, but I agree on the navy, they look perfect with navy.

I find myself getting waaay more shoes than denim. I've pretty much sold off every pair of jeans I have except 4, and yet I have over 30 pairs of dress shoes. One of the main reasons is that its better for your shoes to rotate, while its better for your jeans to just keep wearing the same ones over and over.

I was commenting to one of my colleagues that in clinical research (unlike other areas of academia) wearing denim to work is fairly uncommon and that people usually wore chinos or wool trousers. He then replied, well, I've noticed over the years that it actuality doesn't matter what shirt or pants you wear (to important meetings), but what shoes you wear (and that he supported wearing denim to work). So, I took this comment in 2 ways... wearing denim to work is okay and one should have good shoes... preferably lots of them.

fre$co, demonito - here are my size equivalences. Don't laugh at my wide foot, I can wear other sizes, but these are the most comfortable:

9E - Crockett and Jones

9.5EE - Red Wings

9.5EEE - Alden

9.5E - White's

Percy - great, beautiful! I can't answer for you, but how does it fit? A good fitting beautiful well-made shoe is hard to find. For my myself & I, I prefer boots to shoes, so I'd return these for boots if possible. If not, then I'd order some denim and get boots elsewhere. But I'm kinda extreme in that....

thanks for comments guys. i got these from pediwear so i would be able to return or swap if i chose to. to be honest i really like them so i think i may even keep them, i dont actually need any new jeans/clothes.. although i do have my eye on a ps3!

greg, they actually fit spot on which is another bonus considering i hadnt tried any on. i too like boots but i just liked the asthetic of these shoes, plus makes a change from wearing sneakers.

I think these accessories are important:

A great pair of glasses (if you wear them)

A great watch (if you wear one)

A great belt

And of course a great pair of shoes that are taken care of.

I agree with everyone that a good pair of shoes can bring up an outfit, even a t-shirt and jeans. I've stopped wearing sneakers 2 years ago because of this, and I find the more I wear leather shoes the more comfortable they become.

I was commenting to one of my colleagues that in clinical research (unlike other areas of academia) wearing denim to work is fairly uncommon and that people usually wore chinos or wool trousers. He then replied, well, I've noticed over the years that it actuality doesn't matter what shirt or pants you wear (to important meetings), but what shoes you wear (and that he supported wearing denim to work). So, I took this comment in 2 ways... wearing denim to work is okay and one should have good shoes... preferably lots of them.

Thats interesting. I too work in medical research and here in the UK there is a very clear distinction in the clothing of young researchers with medical degrees and young researchers from a purely scientific background. The medics will always be wearing trousers and shoes and the scientists will mostly be seen in denim.

Thanks for the input Greg.

Very late, it's really funny that they are even posting this at all... I think brown shoes and black pants looks really good in certian situations I guess, all the girls in NY with their skinny black jeans and brown boots look pretty damn good to me.

Brown shoes with grey looks great, but I agree on the navy, they look perfect with navy.

^ +1 to all of this

Superleather Indies

In anticipation of the new Superleather forum, I decided to send my new Indies to a cobbler to make a pair of "superleather Indies."

Here's the plan:

-Double-leather soles with high-grade German Rendenbach oak-tanned leather, one of the world's best (used by Edward Green)

http://lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/index_gb.html

-Full leather R.B. heel w/ metal V-plate over the strike zone

-Same welt as the Indies, and they'll keep the Indy welt if possible

-Sole heavily stitched into an inset leather gutter, the Alden does it

-Heel nailed on, also features brass tacks

-Neutral edge dressing!

They'll be done in 2 weeks and are gonna cost an arm and a leg!

I forgot to mention, I get compliments on Indies about every time I wear them. I think they catch people's eye because of the neutral colored welt and slipsole. Just yesterday a lady from my office told me she wants a pair, and is gonna go to Alden to see if they have anything that small.

So where can this be done? Well, Eddie's would be more than capable of doing this work. But I found a place here in NYC that has been around over 100 years. What convinced me to get the work done there is that they had a pair of Florsheims re-soled in a very similar way, and seem to understand what I wanted. Allen Edmunds takes their shoes there occasionally for recrafting, and according to AE, these guys are one of the few places that can repair damage to uppers. The know and appreciate high-end shoes. They know about SF and AAAC, and now they know about SuFu. I asked them to do an extra good job because I was gonna take photos that would be seen all around the world. They also have Cat's Paw heels (they think they can get soles if people want them) and Dainite soles (they can get them), as well as tons of Vibram.

Check 'em out: B. Nelson Shoe Recrafters

We'll see!