Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

How would you guys feel about a specific subforum based around this thread, maybe put the other leather topics (wallet, evolution, pyc, black boots etc) in there aswell, and take it from there.

This thread has evolved into an unsearchable beast and is getting close to 300 pages, with every possible brand, new or thrift, etc. thrown in together.

I recently tried to find a specific shoe in here and I spend 15 minutes searching with no result.

After all, the denim sub forum started out like this aswell, as interest in jeans started getting bigger and bigger, it was given it's own place on the board.

I feel like that for how big and diverse this thread is it would deserve it.

There could be brand specific threads, info on care, thrift finds etc, basicly just the denim board but about leather and boots.

These are just my 2 cnts.

Would love to hear reactions, and if there's enough interest I could start a specific thread in Superofficial and send some pm's.

Maybe. Do enough new people post in this thread to make it worth the effort, though?

Exactly,

but not just Alden, also, White's, Danners, even specifically Indy's.

Have a specific thread about Catspaws, re-soling, shoe trees etc etc.

Ofcourse it would start small, but as interest grows (wich it clearly does), the board should grow with it, instead of just trying to overstretch an existing thread.

Where would an Alden thread go? Right now it'd either go in Fashion, where it doesn't belong, or in Shopper, alongside waywt and numerous Visvim and Supreme threads.

I feel that this thread is merely touching the surface of leather boots/shoes/etc and that just as with denim there is so much more to discuss than just seasonal new collections and colourways, or where to cop...

Ofcourse you could say that there are already other forums for this, but why send people somewhere else, when everything is just here at the fingertips of our own members (or so I believe), instead we should try to get more knowlegdable people to come here.

Right now Superdenim is one of the main (if not the main...) english spoken sources on niche denim on the internets.

It all started when several people started showing interest in APC/Jap denim...

superleather? I think it makes sense...I just hope that dividing this thread's subject matter won't prove that this thread is greater than the sum of its parts...one thing I like about this thread is that I have been turned on to styles and brands I wouldn't have followed if they were in a thread of their own. I realize that it is difficult to search a behemoth thread like this one, but it would also be a pain to try following 15 different threads a day instead of just one, all for the same subject matter.

Edit: After reading Cotton's second post (we were apparently posting at the same time) I think that the potential for expanding the Shoe/Leather knowledge base here makes it a more than worthwhile endeavor.

Where were the Cigar cordo Indy's purchased. I am in the market for a new pair of boots and those look like they fit the bill.

I got them through LeatherSoul, but he's currently only selling them as in-store only. I think Tom felt sorry for me being on the waiting list for so long. You could ask Adam Knott at Alden of Carmel and see if he has some coming in. Last I heard, he thought he might have some coming in April. (They'd be commando sole instead of double leather though.)

I see what you mean, however it wouldn't all be the same subject matter split in smaller threads, compare it to superdenim, yes it's all about denim, but there are mixed threads in there (evo, xxx, etc) and also brandspecific threads, care, repairs etc.

You obviously don't read every thread in there, yet still managed to find the MFSC's wich are very specific and not for everyone.

That's something I atleast don't worry about happening.

You obviously don't read every thread in there, yet still managed to find the MFSC's wich are very specific and not for everyone.

That's something I atleast don't worry about happening.

I agree completely with your sentiment, but you picked a poor example...I had completely missed the MFSC's because I had never been particularly interested in Sugarcane and wasn't even aware of the existence of Mister Freedom until I stumbled across pictures you posted from the So Cal road trip.

I am behind the idea though, as I think it would allow for some more focused discussion on all things leather...having shoes and jackets and wallets and supertalker creations all split up in different threads is a bummer and I think you are right, things could definitely evolve in a new more orderly subforum.

i'm divided on the issue. cd's arguments make some sense. but.....

for me, this is one of my favorite threads so i have followed it from the first post and have read every page. i feel like it would be a bit sacrilegious to mess with such a venerable institution. the odd placement of the thread in superdenim only adds to the charm.

also, i like the fact that one big thread concentrates all the interested users in one place, so even if you can't find something through search you could ask and get a fast answer. for some reason in this thread people are a lot more friendly and tolerant of repeated small questions so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

lastly, i'm pretty much interested in all brands of leather boots/shoes and all things related to them, more so than i am in all brands of jeans (i suspect this is true of others as well) and as has been stated before it is a lot easier to read one thread than a whole subforum.

but.....if someone wants to put in the work, then the advantages could outweigh my reservations, which are mostly just inertia.

Exactly,

but not just Alden, also, White's, Danners, even specifically Indy's.

Have a specific thread about Catspaws, re-soling, shoe trees etc etc.

Ofcourse it would start small, but as interest grows (wich it clearly does), the board should grow with it, instead of just trying to overstretch an existing thread.

Where would an Alden thread go? Right now it'd either go in Fashion, where it doesn't belong, or in Shopper, alongside waywt and numerous Visvim and Supreme threads.

I feel that this thread is merely touching the surface of leather boots/shoes/etc and that just as with denim there is so much more to discuss than just seasonal new collections and colourways, or where to cop...

Ofcourse you could say that there are already other forums for this, but why send people somewhere else, when everything is just here at the fingertips of our own members (or so I believe), instead we should try to get more knowlegdable people to come here.

Right now Superdenim is one of the main (if not the main...) english spoken sources on niche denim on the internets.

It all started when several people started showing interest in APC/Jap denim...

I think having a sub forum for all leather goods is a great idea. :D

This shoe thread is great, evo in the supershopper is great, but they are in diffrerent thread. Joining them will be a lot easier for ppl to follow all the crazy stuff ppl post in these threads.

i'm divided on the issue. cd's arguments make some sense. but.....

for me, this is one of my favorite threads so i have followed it from the first post and have read every page. i feel like it would be a bit sacrilegious to mess with such a venerable institution. the odd placement of the thread in superdenim only adds to the charm.

also, i like the fact that one big thread concentrates all the interested users in one place, so even if you can't find something through search you could ask and get a fast answer. for some reason in this thread people are a lot more friendly and tolerant of repeated small questions so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

lastly, i'm pretty much interested in all brands of leather boots/shoes and all things related to them, more so than i am in all brands of jeans (i suspect this is true of others as well) and as has been stated before it is a lot easier to read one thread than a whole subforum.

but.....if someone wants to put in the work, then the advantages could outweigh my reservations, which are mostly just inertia.

Your points are totally valid, and honestly, a lot of them seem to be a more substantial articulation of some of my initial concerns. I would hope that this particular thread would stay intact, and active, as it is without a doubt my favorite thread on superfuture, but it would be nice to have more concise threads on certain brands, styles, maintenance and repair, etc.

Three questions I just realized I need to find answers to:

1. What is the best way to procure a pair of replacement laces for a pair of Indys

2. Has anyone ever had a speedhook start to detach itself from the boot? Is this something Alden would fix (on a month old boot) or should I just send it to my cobbler?

3. For anyone who has experience with Alden's recrafting service...is the price the same for recrafting on a pair of non-Alden New England shoes (Standard Indys for example) as it is for a pair of Alden New England. If so, is Alden willing to do the recrafting to the higher standard?

^

1.Alden will send you new laces I believe,

2. on one month old shoes, the speedhooks shouldn't come loose, I'd say return.

3. Last one I don't know, sorry

...I would hope that this particular thread would stay intact, and active, as it is without a doubt my favorite thread on superfuture, but it would be nice to have more concise threads on certain brands, styles, maintenance and repair, etc.

I never meant splitting this thread up, just having more specific threads around it...

I agree with alot of the things you said aswell, Data.

It was just a thought...

Superleather would be a good idea. It would remind me of the vintage leather jacket forum, which is an entire forum. Within that, there are threads for mc jackets, WWII jackets, repro jackets, cloth jackets, etc. And even related gear, which is where folks on that site talk about denim and boots and sunglasses, etc.

I think if this thread keeps up at the current pace, it will eventually expand in some way or other.

What I'd like to avoid is having to look under two or more Super___ categories to find the stuff we talk about here.

I've really enjoyed this thread. I've learned quite a bit and even convinced me to get my 405's.

I think a separate collection would be fine. I just don't want to miss other threads about shoes I might not know about.

Hey Greg. Any chance on some pics on your Cliffords. Thinking of getting a pair from Pediwear.

Another thing about neutral is that it accentuates the tiny cracks in the bends, so most shoe shine guys say not to use *just* neutral. I saw this start to happen a bit with my Crockett and Jones Cliffords. You can use neutral to heighten the shine, every 4th time or so, but for the rest of the shines, it's better to use a color. The big issue for me is to keep the stitching visible, to keep it from taking on the color of polish. So on my new Indies I'm using Kiwi Tan.

The best neutral to get is Meltonian #170 "Delicate Cream." It increases the shine, if you like that. I do. But again, use it only sparingly, and on top of a layer of a colored polish.

sc.meltonian.jpg

sc.meltonian.type.jpg

You don't have to use the same color every time you shine. You

This thread is why I'm on superfuture.

At this point I think it's the best place on the internet (in english anyway) for discussing high end vintage or classic styled boots with a bunch of side excursions into resoling and polish and shoes and god knows what else.

I think it's deserving of it's own forum along with other leather goods that don't have a good home. My only concern is whether there is room for a forum that will largely tilt toward one aestetic. It would make me weep to see this great thread turned into it's own forum only to see it turn into a bunch of sneaker/high fashion shoe posts.

I'm torn.

Of course it would make me feel a little less weird coming into the denim forum to talk about shoes.

This thread delivers. I mean this is where I found out about Edward Green, C&J, Alden's, White's, etc. etc. Not to mention all the pics posted here. I kind of like diving into this massive thread trying to look for pics of Leica Lad's Grenson's or Greg's / Synthi's Skye's. The only thing that would suck, if all this info was lost. (*knocks on wood*)

Does anybody have any pictures of conistons being worn with jeans? Greg, I saw your pictures of your black conistons and they looked great, I'm just not sure if they would work with jeans. Thanks!

I think anything goes with jeans - I've worn the Conistons and they go great with jeans. But since I can't wear jeans to work, by the time I get jeans on I usually I prefer less dressy footwear, something more like military or workwear...

any shoes go with jeans, it's pretty much true. The only look I don't like personally is loafers, but tons of people wear loafers too. classic shoes + jeans = U win in lyfe

i've followed this thread since the beginning, and i've learned a hell of a lot, but for people new to it, it's just too hard to find some of the info, like GregNYC's steps to shoe shining, Chicken's restoration project a few weeks ago, and other helpful subjects. then again, like someone said about a page ago, this thread's denizens seem much more willing to answer repeated questions.

i do love this thread very much though.

anyways, time for a noobish question:

is there a difference between Danner's Mountain Light II's and the Elite Series version? There's no mention of an elite version on Danner's website...

links:

Elite:

http://www.amazon.com/Danner%C2%AE-Elite-Mountain-Light-Brown/dp/B0002L4N28/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1203289039&sr=8-3

Regular:

http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Mountain-Light-II/dp/B0009C0YI2/ref=pd_sbs_a?ie=UTF8&qid=1203289039&sr=8-3

posted my red wings a while ago, and I never thought about posting these!

I got these about 2 years ago, and wore them 5 days a week from 7 until 4 every day for school. They're a little past their prime, but I could never throw them away. They're beat to hell, the soles and heels are a complete MESS, and the leather has unsightly bumps all over it, probably from applying polish when they weren't clean I'm guessing. I'd love to restore these back to their former lustre, if you guys could point me in the right direction!! They're Allen Edmonds Halsted model, I remember them being the last pair in stock at the store I was at. size 10, extra wide. I dont usually wear extra wide but for the price I coudlnt' pass them up, and the extra width doesnt make them uncomfortable, nothing thick socks can't fix:p. Help me get these back into shape!

IMG_2811Medium.jpg

IMG_2812Medium.jpg

IMG_2813Medium.jpg

despite all the wear they've had, they havn't developed 'deep' creases like other (read: cheap) leather shoes I've had. the wrinkles and lines are very fine, as you can see.

IMG_2816Medium.jpg

Up next are a pair of Magnanni's I've had for a while. If I'd browsed these forums earlier, I'd have bought a different (better) shoe for the price, but I really love the colour and styling on these, and I'd like to start wearing them with jeans instead of just for more formal occasions.

IMG_2814Medium.jpg

IMG_2815Medium.jpg

They're definitely the most comfortable shoe I've worn by far, not sure how the quality is, I'll have to see in the long run. I love the contrast of the textured black with the smooth burgundy.

Any input you guys have as well as advice for my allen edmonds would be appreciated!

dibadiba:

If you are willing to pay the price, i will go to allen edmond store and let them recraft and resole the whole shoe for you.

if you want to go the cheap way, you can saddle soap the shoe so the dirt or polish can be remove abit. Then apply leather conditioner and apply shoe cream to it. Also, add a shoe tree so the shoe back to shape again. The sole, you have to resole them.