Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

fuck me, some fool must have +repped him after i negged him...

glad you corrected things

back on topic: these lone wolf look like a good alternative to the redwing gentleman travellers. Not sure if they've been posted before

http://www.takeoff-clothing.com/show/1897.html

The sole on those seems out of proportion to me. It looks like the custom White's semi-dress Bill had made. Too much sole for a slimmer boot. Do they come with the usual Lone Wolf price tag?

They have leather soles. Is it a bad idea to bust them out in the snow the first time I wear them?

Unless you're accustomed to walking around on leather soles, you're likely to bust your ass in them. Leather soles need a bit of scuffing up in order to keep you from slipping and sliding around.

The sole on those seems out of proportion to me. It looks like the custom White's semi-dress Bill had made. Too much sole for a slimmer boot. Do they come with the usual Lone Wolf price tag?

Tom, I think thats a popular look in Japan. what is it... double leather and the cats paw which looks pretty thick. They are listed at 44000 yen which is about $400 I guess. I thought lone wolf were more pricey than that.

I quite like the look of them myself.

Tom, I think thats a popular look in Japan. what is it... double leather and the cats paw which looks pretty thick. They are listed at 44000 yen which is about $400 I guess. I thought lone wolf were more pricey than that.

I quite like the look of them myself.

They look a lot like the semi-dress. Of course, with the semi-dress, you can send your measurements and foot tracings in, which is the next best thing to actually trying them on. I'd be too scared to try my luck buying boots off Rakuten.

They look a lot like the semi-dress. Of course, with the semi-dress, you can send your measurements and foot tracings in, which is the next best thing to actually trying them on. I'd be too scared to try my luck buying boots off Rakuten.

Yeah thats very true, and one of the reasons why I don't want to order Alden 405s before trying them.

These LW don't have the cut-away heel of the semi-dress which several people have a problem with. I just posted them up after I stumbled across them. They look some way between the semi-dress and 1911 to me.

I just found out that I am going to NYC in April, so thats when I hope to pick up some Alden 405s. I'm also going to Las Vegas for a few days on the same trip and I just found a Whites boots stockist there...... oops.

And before anyone mentions it, I burnt my bridge with the Aldenshop SF over a dispute about (what I clearly saw as) a defect and what the owner thought was a "normal finishing of a handmade work boot." It was the stitching on the inside welt on the right boot. The stitching cut into the leather sole and a small 1/8 inch cut into the leather upper. It had to be a defect, because the inside left boot was completely normal.

===What country are you in? Would you like me to ask the Alden shop in NYC?

Speaking of defects, I agree with you. I don't find their work very precise at all. I once spoke to an Alden employee who had been a shoemaker before coming to the company. He told me that he himself found their quality and workmanship not all that great and showed me some details about the inside of the show to prove his point.

soda,

I love that vintage sole on those daytons... is that the dayton biker boot company in canada?

What soles are those?

HH - Yes both pairs are Dayton Boots, which are made on the west coast of Canada. The sole on the first boot is a Biltrite Surestep. The sole on the second boot is, of course, a Vibram. They are built like thick leather tanks.

I have a couple of months wear on the pair with the Vibrams, and I'd say they're just starting to break in. Not that they were ever painful, just stiff.

Has anyone found a good source for flat waxed shoelaces? I had a pair of the RW 1911s that had great laces (I returned them). Now I want something simlar for my 405s.

I agree, those 1911 laces rock! Unfortunately, I've never found anything that comes close to them in the length and width and suitability for a boot of that height. WWIIImpressions has waxed cotton laces and so I believe does atthefront.com, but they aren't as good. There are a few guys around with vintage WWII laces. But again, these are for higher boots...

Anyone else have more info??

===What country are you in? Would you like me to ask the Alden shop in NYC?

Speaking of defects, I agree with you. I don't find their work very precise at all. I once spoke to an Alden employee who had been a shoemaker before coming to the company. He told me that he himself found their quality and workmanship not all that great and showed me some details about the inside of the show to prove his point.

I agree at least on the Alden 405's I got direct from the factory.

The mentioned it earlier in this thread about stitching on the toe that was off on the left shoe. The boots fit fantastic, but to me, I would have labeled them as 2nds.

I don't know about if they even have 2nds as I haven't seen any. But a manufacturer like Wesco has a ton of them on their site, which makes me believe that perhaps they are really into making sure that their boots are perfect, otherwise they wouldn't have so many 2nds.

just get some cheap instant polish, like the kind most people use to polish their shoes. the kind that comes in a squeezable bottle with a sponge on top. i use that to stain the trim off my soles. apply as necessary.

Yeah that stuff is good too. You can also get something called sole dressing, which comes in a gloss or matte finish. Its basically a stain or dye. I prefer the gloss stain because the color doesn't penetrate the leather too much. It usually comes with a small q-tip looking thing to make it easy to apply.

1) Wax cream

2) Polish

3) Spray

Sorry I don't remember what the shoes look like. If it's a glossy surface like top-grain calfskin, I'd leave out the spray altogether. It most likely has silicone, which leather lovers and old-skool folks don't put on their gear. Creams go on before polish. Rub cream into the welt unless it's a lighter color than the upper (like the Indies). Repeat at the polish stage. This is all the protection you should need unless you wear these for inclement weather. And you'll get a natural shine that will develop into a burnish and patina over time.

how often do you guys stain the trim of your guys' soles?

Every time I polish them. When I polish them I just use the same polish as for the uppers. If there's a scuff or discoloration, I use edge dressing, which has dye properties. And it comes in variuos strengths. At the shoe-shine parlor (about half my shines are there), they use lightweight edge dressing every time.