Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hey amlai, can you tell me about the barrie last? The boots I won seem to be exactly like the af53's except that they're on the barrie last instead of trubalance.

Comments?

I don't own any shoes on that last, but I did try on a pair of chukkas on barrie a while back. My understanding is that the sizing between the two is similar, but the shape of the lasts are definitely different. My recollection (which could be wrong) is that the barrie last was a bit more roomy than the trubalance. Perhaps Tom can be of more assistance.

with regard to the heel on the whites, i also think it looks unusual, but it becomes a lot easier to accept when you realize that that heel shape is actually a lot more ergonomic while walking, and at the end of the day much easier on the feet. functionality > appearance (to an extent, of course).

can I get a heel measurement from one of you whites semi-dress owners. The more I look at these, the more I like them, but I am already 6' 1ish and I wouldn't want ti be turned into a giant.

By the time I go to bed I think I will have convinced myself that I need these.....

Any body know the difference b/t the "foot balance standard" and the "New England Standard" that is mentioned in the leathersoul preorder link for those Indy's?

Tom would obviously be able to better answer this than I, but I'll give it a shot. In comparing my shoes that are supposedly "New England," I've noticed that they seem to have much better consistency in the stitching like you would expect in a dress shoe. The two pairs of Indy's that I have, which apparently are made on the foot balance standard seem to have inconsistencies in the stitching and stitch length and vary from each other. Much more of a work boot quality to them. However, just based on the pictures that I've seen, the foot balance standard already appears to be higher than on the White's.

Here are some pics earlier in the thread from Datasupa and GregNYC

ok, I'm on the white's semi-dress boat now as well.

Chicken or Bill, will you please post more pictures wearing the boots?

Chicken, those White's look pretty good, less hobbit-like than mine, partially because of your double-leather sole and the raked heel angle. Here are a few of my whites, including with jeans. I think this winter I'll get White's Smoke Jumpers (at bottom):

w.69.gif

w.jeans.gif

w.jeans2.gif

so i received my white's semi dress recently. my initial impressions are somewhat more favorable than gregnyc's, i think.

the leather smell out of the box is overpowering and intoxicating

the leather quality seems superb

the fit is somewhat snug, given that the boots are made to measure--i think they are supposed to start out snug and conform to the foot over time. or i screwed up the measuring. all in all, pretty comfortable.

i like the overall style. it doesn't seem overly duckfooted and i don't mind the width of the welt. the heel is a bit underslung but it's supposed to somehow be more ergonomic that way and allow less fatigue. the sole is sloped a bit--feels reminiscent of dansko's almost.

the look oozes authenticity and seems very legit workwear. i could imagine some of those workers in the pictures in paul t's old photo thread wearing them. that thought appeals to me.

some pics---i tried to capture the color as close as i could to the actual color, which i thought was much darker brown in real life than in greg's pics (of course his could be different color due to variation). the last two are with flash and the rest using natural light.

semidress2.jpg

semidress5.jpg

semidress6.jpg

semidress7.jpg

semidress8.jpg

I was watching Wyatt Earp the other day and I think I thought that Doc Holiday was wearing some Whites or what looked to be. It is at the part where they are walking to the OK Corral scene.

These have the look and feel of being of an older era, yet feel ahead of their time (as the ergonomics go), or of a time considered no longer viable for other manufacturers.

I think there are two camps in this thread: Alden and Whites. I don't own any Aldens, and I don't think I could coming from the Whites. I think the Alden camp may feel the same way; they are two entirely different species it seems.

Bill, Chicken, you want to chime in on this subject yet again, as you two seem to be the only ones that own both (I may be wrong in this assumption)?

Tom would obviously be able to better answer this than I, but I'll give it a shot. In comparing my shoes that are supposedly "New England," I've noticed that they seem to have much better consistency in the stitching like you would expect in a dress shoe. The two pairs of Indy's that I have, which apparently are made on the foot balance standard seem to have inconsistencies in the stitching and stitch length and vary from each other. Much more of a work boot quality to them. However, just based on the pictures that I've seen, the foot balance standard already appears to be higher than on the White's.

Basically the difference is the difference between the original Indy's (405) and any of Alden's regular dress line, such as any shell boot. The 405s have cotton linings, cheaper overall construction, cheaper materials such as sole/welting, and basically not made to the standards of the ANE line. That being said, the 405s are about $320-$350, while most calf ANE dress shoes are at $375 and boots are at $400+. Price is basically set by the cost so a $425 price point is not high, it's pretty standard. Alden of Carmel charges about the same if not more for it's calf boots.

Trust me, there will be a difference from these boots and the 405s. Anyone who bought a shell Indy from me can testify the difference in construction.

Have you gone over to Horween and kicked some ass yet?

I needs me some styleforum boots!

Still waiting. I'll find out more in a couple weeks when my Alden rep visits. I've been letting him know that it's a very important order for me. Hopefully we can get enough shells allocated. It's a large order so it makes it harder.

ohh man i think i need a pair of whites they look so good and vintage and tough.... what leather can you guys suggest?? i think im going with single leather sole with maybe a vibram or just a single leather sole... anyone? chick . bill help!

Thus far I think Alden Tru-balance and Whites Semi Dress lasts run just about 1 to 1. For sizing questions, I can always call my rep with measurements and get his input, which is very helpful.

To address the comment about the boots proportions being wonky: While I understand why there is some confusion (some of the photos online are taken at really funny angles I think ....rakuten, I'm looking at you...), I think the boots are actually beautifully proportioned. Classic lines at their best. The semi dress, Reg. Toe Smoke Jumper and the Lace-to-toe S.Jumpers are all great looking boots in their own right.

I think Greg's pic of the silouette of the boot is pretty telling in terms of the true shape of the shoes.

I always wear my jeans cuffed short, to hang just above the ankle, or wear wider hemmed, workwear styles, and I think the Semi-dress are well suited to either style, with their wider, work boot forefoot, but with sleek lines around the ankle.

I think they can look awkward if you like wearing slimmer leg's w/stacking. I will wear my cowboy boots if I want to wear my slim jeans uncuffed, and stacked. Something about the Semi Dress silouette that just doesn't match up with stacking. If you wear your jeans like that, I think the Lace-to-toe Smoke Jumper is a much better option. They run about a half-width wider, and have lacing further down the forefoot (obviously). The extra width allows the lacing to sit closer together and provides a much narrower, sleeker silouette.

lace-to-toe.jpg

bill i want a leather that look real vinatge workwear appeal.. maybe in black.. what would you recommend? or should i go with singl leather or double with vibram bottom on a semi dress..? suggestions

a little surprising there's no wesco camp here. coleslaw?

i can't fully chime in yet because i have yet to break in my own pair of white's. ask me again about six months later. :D

wesco doesn't make a boot like that...

bill i want a leather that look real vinatge workwear appeal.. maybe in black.. what would you recommend? or should i go with singl leather or double with vibram bottom on a semi dress..? suggestions

The best way to go for a vintage workwear look in black is to do the semi-dress black leather (dry tan black) with brown double leather soles, and the burnished copper eyelets.

The addition of vibram will change the look of them from 1890's-1930's in leather to more 1940's-60's (Kindof a Cats Paw sole look)

I've also just confirmed with White's that we can get the Vibram #269 on our Semi Dress orders. Its a lower profile Vibram with small lined, grooves. White's tells me that it is softer than the composition sole, more rubbery and grippy. I like it because it has a tapered waist. Its gives a side view almost like the 705 Vibram would, but is availible from the factory.

semidress269-1.jpg

semidress269bottom.jpg

Just to let you guys know, my Red Wing 1908's are still available. They are a size 12 and there is only 11 hours left on them. Brand new, only worn once inside. I really don't want to have to mail them back to Germany so I thought I'd try to sell them here first.

ebay item number 290186347009

Guest jeffvyain

so what? because you don't have a link, it's not spam? at least save us the trouble. they're too big for me anyway, but i would've liked to see them, but i'm not that desperate.

a truckload of great looking shoes on the last few pages, keep it coming guys :-)

I have decided to pick up a pair of Indy's; just not sure yet if regular or special ones with commando sole ( I'd like to wear them as soon as possible but if i go for a special custom line i'll have to wait untill may...)

a little surprising there's no wesco camp here. coleslaw?

i can't fully chime in yet because i have yet to break in my own pair of white's. ask me again about six months later. :D

Thanks for the wesco mention. They are of course here in oregon. I just went three weeks ago and ordered a pair of custom jobmasters. Black, black stitching, black eyelets and hooks and lace to toe. They will take 13 weeks to complete. I will hopefully have them in mid january. I actually put orthotics in my shoes and we measured them around those. in the meantime, I just purchased a pair of the redwing gentlemen traveller and am trying to decide how I feel about those. They are a little narrow when the orthotics are put in.

thoughts on comparing these two. Obviously the quality on the whites in fantastic, I just want to hear your comments. I have just recieved the redwings and am just trying to decide if I am going to keep them or send them back and buy the whites.